PDA

View Full Version : KVM Switches For Your Bench

allanc
09-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Does anybody use KVM switches on their bench or separate monitors, keyboards and mice?
This could be useful when cleaning virus, etc.
I was thinking of a 4 port unit.
One problem that I had with a previous 2 port Belkin is that the switch would randomly 'switch' from one computer to the other requiring a power reset of all the connected equipment.

dhrandy
09-21-2009, 03:09 PM
I use 2 of these. The only problem I have sometimes is that I'm getting more PCs without PS/2 ports. Of course I have extra keyboards and mice for this situation.

They come in real handy.

allanc
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
I use 2 of these. The only problem I have sometimes is that I'm getting more PCs without PS/2 ports. Of course I have extra keyboards and mice for this situation.

They come in real handy.
I am not sure of the connectors that were on my Belkin.
But, I seem to remember that I had also had a USB to PS/2 adapter.
How many ports are yours and which brand/model?

seedubya
09-21-2009, 04:44 PM
I use a Belkin 4 port PS/2 model. It's at least 4 years old. I have a couple of PS/2 to USB adapters for the systems without PS/2 ports. I get the occasional system (either PS/2 or USB) that won't display a picture or won't respond to keyboard and/or mouse and use as standalone k/m/m for these.

angry_geek
09-21-2009, 05:45 PM
On my bench, I have 3 lcds on swing mounts with 2-port kvms under each of them. I typically use a ps2 to usb adapter if I need to. However, as Seedubya said, I occasionally get the machine that won't play nice with the adapter. I'm getting ready to replace one of the kvms with a usb model.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/ltpreston/shop/DSCF0018.jpg

Doctor Micro
09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
No pictures, but I use an IOGEAR 8-port MiniView Ultra+ and two 4-port Trendnet 4-port KVMs, all with audio... one is PS/2, the other is USB. Like angry_geek, I have sometimes had problems with PS/2 and USB adapters.

One thing I did learn, though, was that if you have your bench and PCs on a UPS, you need to plug the KVM units into the battery side of the UPS too. Otherwise, you'll either end up with a blank screen and unresponsive keyboard and mouse, or be stuck on whatever machine you were on when the power went out.

allanc
09-21-2009, 07:16 PM
No pictures, but I use an IOGEAR 8-port MiniView Ultra+ and two 4-port Trendnet 4-port KVMs, all with audio... one is PS/2, the other is USB. Like angry_geek, I have sometimes had problems with PS/2 and USB adapters.

One thing I did learn, though, was that if you have your bench and PCs on a UPS, you need to plug the KVM units into the battery side of the UPS too. Otherwise, you'll either end up with a blank screen and unresponsive keyboard and mouse, or be stuck on whatever machine you were on when the power went out.
Which brand (including Belkin if you have worked with them) do you find the most reliable?
I do not mind spending extra if I will be wasting less time.

angry_geek
09-21-2009, 07:22 PM
I've had really good luck with trendnet, d-link, and cables unlimited. The ones I have on my bench are trendnet, and they're 4 or 5 years old now. Haven't had any of them fail me. I have a 4-port d-link on some of my servers that is of "indeterminate" age. It's still going strong with no problems at all. I would recommend that you get the models with push buttons or selector switches. They make life a lot easier.

allanc
09-21-2009, 07:43 PM
I've had really good luck with trendnet, d-link, and cables unlimited. The ones I have on my bench are trendnet, and they're 4 or 5 years old now. Haven't had any of them fail me. I have a 4-port d-link on some of my servers that is of "indeterminate" age. It's still going strong with no problems at all. I would recommend that you get the models with push buttons or selector switches. They make life a lot easier.
The Trendnet TK-407K is about 1/3 of the price of a Belkin F1DS104J.
It seems that the Belkin supports both USB and PS/2 but even the price difference is quite high.

Doctor Micro
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Which brand (including Belkin if you have worked with them) do you find the most reliable?
I do not mind spending extra if I will be wasting less time.

I've not had good long-term reliability with any of the so-called "all in one" units, no matter whether they were IOGEAR or Belkin. These are the ones that already have all the cables permanently attached and have some sort of donut in the middle. That being said, I've yet to have the big IOGEAR unit or the Trendnet units fail. Bear in mind that I also now have all these units on a UPS. YMMV.

The Trendnet units are pretty economical, and come with 6' cables and an AC adapter. The IOGEAR unit ran around $270 if my memory serves me, and the cables were extra. The bonus for the IOGEAR is that you could get cables in either PS/2 terminations or USB, and in different lengths. The IOGEAR also has a programmable OSD and auto-scan feature, which the Trendnet units do not, though all of them are controlled by a Scroll-Lock or Scroll-Lock + Number Key combination in addition to pushbuttons. I know you can "gang" the IOGEAR unit, but I don't know if the Trendnet units support this feature.

angry_geek
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
The Trendnet TK-407K is about 1/3 of the price of a Belkin F1DS104J.
It seems that the Belkin supports both USB and PS/2 but even the price difference is quite high.

The trendnets are a lot cheaper. That's what made me go with them years ago. I've been pleased with them. Like I said, I'm getting a usb model for the one tech station. They're only about $40 for the good 2-port model on newegg.

wtigger
09-29-2009, 01:26 AM
I run an old Apex 8-port unit. I don't see many systems without PS/2 ports currently. I have an old LAN switch right beside it. I got the Apex units on eBay years ago, I use 3 more on my computer racks for my lab systems. The Apex KVM units are good for cascading... No pushbuttons, they use onscreen menu.

The cables were getting to be so insane and tangled on the bench that I found some flexible plastic wire conduit with a split down the middle, I think it was for automotive use (I got it at a yard sale), and I put all the cables for each station into the flexible conduit, leaving the last 14" loose on the computer end. Keeps the bench much less cluttered. When I'm not using the station, I use a long wire tie to hold it up to the overhead shelf off the bench.

I have one 19" LCD monitor on a swing arm to the left side of the work area. I will eventually put a keyboard/mouse tray under the bench that will slide out and keep them off the bench.

Currently I have room for 4 units on the bench at the same time. Everything is on a large UPS... Shelves above the bench hold parts.

scoop818
09-29-2009, 01:45 AM
I have a 4 port belkin that Ive had for at least 4 years. I also had a trendnet that died on me. I have not had good luck with trendnet products, a switch died on me, as well as the KVM.

I think I may go Angry Geeks route and mount a few more monitors and get a two port usb for those Pcs that dont take PS2

Larry Sabo
09-29-2009, 02:59 AM
I use a Linksys 4-port unit with PS/2 ports only. Seldom use it anymore because my main PC doesn't have PS/2 ports and the PS/2-USB adapter gets spooky from time to time, especially if something gets turned off or goes into standby.

allanc
09-29-2009, 03:43 AM
I run an old Apex 8-port unit. I don't see many systems without PS/2 ports currently. I have an old LAN switch right beside it. I got the Apex units on eBay years ago, I use 3 more on my computer racks for my lab systems. The Apex KVM units are good for cascading... No pushbuttons, they use onscreen menu.

The cables were getting to be so insane and tangled on the bench that I found some flexible plastic wire conduit with a split down the middle, I think it was for automotive use (I got it at a yard sale), and I put all the cables for each station into the flexible conduit, leaving the last 14" loose on the computer end. Keeps the bench much less cluttered. When I'm not using the station, I use a long wire tie to hold it up to the overhead shelf off the bench.

I have one 19" LCD monitor on a swing arm to the left side of the work area. I will eventually put a keyboard/mouse tray under the bench that will slide out and keep them off the bench.

Currently I have room for 4 units on the bench at the same time. Everything is on a large UPS... Shelves above the bench hold parts.
We buy that plastic wire conduit at Ikea.

Graystar
09-29-2009, 06:01 AM
The trendnets are a lot cheaper. That's what made me go with them years ago. I've been pleased with them. Like I said, I'm getting a usb model for the one tech station. They're only about $40 for the good 2-port model on newegg.

I have an issue with this USB KVM which sadly I bought two of...
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=511

The lag time is so bad you cant use them.
So I would stay away from this model.

I have a old Vastech 4 unit KVM that has not failed for the five years I have owned it. (knocking on wood)

I picked up these two USB models at the LA computer fair for moy bench in the shop and i had to disconnect them as they both are too laggy.

Doctor Micro
09-29-2009, 05:05 PM
One thing of note on older PS/2 KVMs: Many older ones I've seen (and used) had video bandwidth problems. Have a 8-port unit sitting on the shelf in my lab right now that will only support 800x600 reliably. Resolutions higher than that either don't display, or are wonky.

wtigger
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
One thing of note on older PS/2 KVMs: Many older ones I've seen (and used) had video bandwidth problems. Have a 8-port unit sitting on the shelf in my lab right now that will only support 800x600 reliably. Resolutions higher than that either don't display, or are wonky.

I think you might need shielded video cables. I have some of the thicker ones that are well shielded, and without them I would get weirdness and ghosting in the display...I use them on each of my systems that use higher resolution and to the monitor from the KVM switch. I run 1024x768 and higher with the Apex units.

andrewrost3241981
10-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I bought my first one about a month ago. It is a 4-port LinksKey and it is working pretty well for me so far.

Tweak
10-03-2009, 03:35 AM
IOGear 8 port primarily, tw other areas have 4 port though and have wireless usb with audio 2 port at home for occasional use as well as about 3 others that just sit around now sadly...IOGear seems one of the best, 8 ports though not so cheap compared to the smaller ones obviously.

thor999
10-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I've had this one for 6 months, 24/7, not a problem, cheap as hell: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182157
Seriously 0 lag, 0 issues. I've seen KVM's 10x the cost completely hump the bunk on the second or third switch, not so w/ this cheap flimsy looking bastard.

Tweak
10-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I've had this one for 6 months, 24/7, not a problem, cheap as hell: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182157
Seriously 0 lag, 0 issues. I've seen KVM's 10x the cost completely hump the bunk on the second or third switch, not so w/ this cheap flimsy looking bastard.

For the price many Rosewill products are actually very good, I really REALLY like there SATA/IDE 3-in-1 cable converter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152&Tpk=rcw608

For laptop ide just plug in adapter, powered through the usb, for sata laptop, ide, or desktop ide it has a power adapter with switch and dual power, also comes with hard drive condoms which I never use, I'll just risk it and be a bit of a rebel I guess..haha.:D

e2346437
10-12-2009, 02:01 AM
I've got a 4-port Avocent. I've been frustrated over the years by Belkin and all the others. The Belkin models all seem to lose contact with the mouse randomly. Avocent is the only brand I've found that is completely reliable.

The version I have is PS/2 and USB compatible, and came with 3-in-one PS/2 & USB cables. The best feature is a USB port on the switch that I can leave a USB flash drive connected to, and I keep all my tech utilities on that. It shows up as a drive on whatever computer I've got pulled up at the time.

Eric

Tweak
10-12-2009, 02:09 AM
I've got a 4-port Avocent. I've been frustrated over the years by Belkin and all the others. The Belkin models all seem to lose contact with the mouse randomly. Avocent is the only brand I've found that is completely reliable.

The version I have is PS/2 and USB compatible, and came with 3-in-one PS/2 & USB cables. The best feature is a USB port on the switch that I can leave a USB flash drive connected to, and I keep all my tech utilities on that. It shows up as a drive on whatever computer I've got pulled up at the time.

Eric

The usb option I like! Thanks for the info.:cool:

JosephLeo
10-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Anyone know of a Multi-Monitor KVM switch? I'm going to have 3 monitors...so that's the minimum, I found plenty of dual monitor solutions but no triple monitor solutions.

Tweak
10-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Anyone know of a Multi-Monitor KVM switch? I'm going to have 3 monitors...so that's the minimum, I found plenty of dual monitor solutions but no triple monitor solutions.

http://www.vetra.com/804V3text.html

Maybe?

Or big money...

http://www.kvmgalore.com/shopping/product_info.php?products_id=42798&kartSess=

JosephLeo
10-12-2009, 02:24 AM
http://www.vetra.com/804V3text.html

Maybe?

Nice! $400 seems a bit much for a KVM switch- but then again my needs are pretty oddball. let's see...

$220 * 3 2048 x 1153 monitors = $660
+
$30 * 3 Tilt/Swivel/Swing VESA mounts = $90
+
$400 KVM Switch
+
$30 In cables
=
$1180.00

Which brings my Workstation Computer budget down to $820. Looks like I aint getting a Core i7...I could just use one of my old GPU's for now I guess and still get a Core i7.

Tweak
10-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Nice! $400 seems a bit much for a KVM switch- but then again my needs are pretty oddball. let's see...

$220 * 3 2048 x 1153 monitors = $660
+
$30 * 3 Tilt/Swivel/Swing VESA mounts = $90
+
$400 KVM Switch
+
$30 In cables
=
$1180.00

Which brings my Workstation Computer budget down to $820. Looks like I aint getting a Core i7...I could just use one of my old GPU's for now I guess and still get a Core i7.

Wanna buy my i7 rig? Nah, I ain't selling.:cool:

JosephLeo
10-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Wanna buy my i7 rig? Nah, I ain't selling.:cool:

Heh- nice. But I'm looking at MicroATX SFF i7. The amazing capacity of 2.5" drives, the concept of moving to SSD, The fact that SLi/CFx is finally available in MicroATX- yeah, I'm going SFF.

Since this setup will be so expensive I'm just going to get an i7 920 for now and wait for the i9's to be released before I buy my 2 ATi Radeon 5890 4GB's ;)

Tweak
10-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Heh- nice. But I'm looking at MicroATX SFF i7. The amazing capacity of 2.5" drives, the concept of moving to SSD, The fact that SLi/CFx is finally available in MicroATX- yeah, I'm going SFF.

Since this setup will be so expensive I'm just going to get an i7 920 for now and wait for the i9's to be released before I buy my 2 ATi Radeon 5890 4GB's ;)

I have SLI/Crossfire option and the OCZ vertex along with a Velociraptor and some other goodies, pretty decent rig slapped together earlier this year, made sure it's nice and tidy.:cool:

I have the parts for a small cube I need to put together for myself, they been sitting on the couch for a week now...I just haven't cared to bother with it as of yet. :cool:

JosephLeo
10-12-2009, 03:36 AM
I have SLI/Crossfire option and the OCZ vertex along with a Velociraptor and some other goodies, pretty decent rig slapped together earlier this year, made sure it's nice and tidy.:cool:

I have the parts for a small cube I need to put together for myself, they been sitting on the couch for a week now...I just haven't cared to bother with it as of yet. :cool:

My dream rig will have two intel 160GB SLC SSD's in RAID 1 with 4 640GB Western Digital 2.5" drives in RAID 4 for 1.92TB of storage space and 160GB of OS/Software space. And fit them in the NXTZ SFF case using a 5.25" to 4x 2.5" bay adapter and 1 3.5" to 2 2.5" adapter. :D

Tweak
10-12-2009, 03:44 AM
My dream rig will have two intel 160GB SLC SSD's in RAID 1 with 4 640GB Western Digital 2.5" drives in RAID 4 for 1.92TB of storage space and 160GB of OS/Software space. And fit them in the NXTZ SFF case using a 5.25" to 4x 2.5" bay adapter and 1 3.5" to 2 2.5" adapter. :D

Just buy loads of 2TB WD drives. I do like their Black Edition 1TB drives, also the Greens for externals. :cool:

JosephLeo
10-12-2009, 03:47 AM
Just buy loads of 2TB WD drives. I do like their Black Edition 1TB drives, also the Greens for externals. :cool:

I could- but I plan on putting 6 SSD's in there when they're cheap...Also, I don't need that much storage anyway.

Tweak
10-12-2009, 05:19 AM
I could- but I plan on putting 6 SSD's in there when they're cheap...Also, I don't need that much storage anyway.

Prices are finally starting to drop...a little.

JosephLeo
10-12-2009, 05:27 AM
Prices are finally starting to drop...a little.

Here are my price points more MLC
250GB - $50
320GB - $65
500GB - $75
640GB - $85
750GB - $100
1TB - $150
1TB+ - $0.30 / GB

For SLC...
250GB - $100
320GB - $125
500GB - $150
640GB - $175
750GB - $225
1TB - $300
1TB+ - $0.75 / GB

Until then the most SSD I will have is 2 160GB SSD's

Tweak
10-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Well maybe snag this (http://www.everythingusb.com/active-media-aviator-312-usb-3.0-ssd-17774.html) for fast and small storage sometime soon...or later since the price is a definite factor. Ok, def bedtime now, 1:30am here. Look forward to reading more when I wake, this has become a new fav place for me. :D

JosephLeo
10-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Well maybe snag this (http://www.everythingusb.com/active-media-aviator-312-usb-3.0-ssd-17774.html) for fast and small storage sometime soon...or later since the price is a definite factor. Ok, def bedtime now, 1:30am here. Look forward to reading more when I wake, this has become a new fav place for me. :D

Mine too...I don't even browse Digg anymore (Good ridance too, filled with too many wannabe smart-asses, anti-religious, elitist idiots...not all of them, but a lot of them). This site has actually taken over my free time too...Also, by Anti-Religious I mean people who hate anyone who claims they have a religion just because of the fact that they said that. They don't know who the person is saying that or his beliefs. (For example, I believe in the same God that Abraham believed in- who is the same God of Christianity...but I also believe in Creation through Evolution....lets leave it at that and not turn this into a debate. DO NOT EVEN COMMENT on this topic or it will become a flame war)

Anyway, I'm skipping USB 3.0 and waiting for LightPeak (like I said before on another topic). Late 2010 is probably when we'll see our first USB 3.0 motherboard. Late 2011 is probably when we'll see our first LightPeak motherboard. I'm buying a new computer now with 1SSD, 1 Storage drive, a basic i7, 6gb of memory and an ATI 5k series video card with Blu-ray player and DVD writer too. Late 2011 is 2 years from now- I plan on upgrading this PC im building 2 and a half years from now- which is perfect timing for lightpeak.

bagellad
10-13-2009, 12:04 AM
The thing is you dont really want to hook the customers computers up to your main "fun" computer because they are absolutely full of viruses sometimes.

JosephLeo
10-13-2009, 12:26 AM
The thing is you dont really want to hook the customers computers up to your main "fun" computer because they are absolutely full of viruses sometimes.

Which is why I'm going to have no internal hard drives- only hot-swappable 3.5" & 5.25" bay converters. This way I can easily swap between "GAME" pc and "WORK" pc without the need for multiple towers.

Blues
10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I am lookin to buy a KVM and a few things I debate USB or PS2 I can do both but you get a little pricey then. I am not sure on brands but some I have used Avocent and Belkin units in the past both seemed to run solid. Should we have to worry or care about D-SUB, DVI, or HDMI?

thor999
10-14-2009, 06:20 AM
I am lookin to buy a KVM and a few things I debate USB or PS2 I can do both but you get a little pricey then. I am not sure on brands but some I have used Avocent and Belkin units in the past both seemed to run solid. Should we have to worry or care about D-SUB, DVI, or HDMI?

Can't you use PS2 -> USB adapters? The majority of PC's I work on are VGA or DVI, I have yet to see one w/ only an HDMI output. DVI's even are infrequent enough to necessitate a KVM for them, which is good as they're costly. Your experience may differ, but save the investment for later.

Blues
10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I can use PS/2 -> USB adapters but why buy an extra piece if I don't need it. I am just wondering others thoughts and maybe some brands to avoid and/or brands to aim for.

iladelf
10-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I use a Zonet KVM 3004 4-port. It's only a PS/2/VGA, but has worked for me since I bought it, probably 8 years ago. It will work (most of the time) with a PS/2 to USB keyboard/mouse adapter, but not always. Some screens on some PCs look a little flaky, and occassionally on bootup, the mouse isn't recognized. I've learned the workaround is to always have the screen of the bootup computer active on the KVM; this eliminates the mouse issue. Came with all cabling. Guess the new one has a proprietary cable system on the KVM end. I'd buy another one, if I needed it.