PDA

View Full Version : monitor

powersway
05-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi i'm using a compaq presario 6000 pentium4, the problem is witnthe monitor, when booting up PC starts fine, but monitor doesnt start, just a black screen and the lights goes from green too yellow, if plugged out for a while it will go to compaq on main screen and if you choose f8 and try last known good configuration screen will go balck and eventually light goes too yellow on monitor,also keyboard lights will turn on but seem too die after start up if you press caps or nums lock theres no light on keyboard, have tried an optical mouse and this lights up and stays lit, the fans are working in the power supply. Have tried with different monitor and same problem and have also tried diff video card too no avail, thining it might be something wrong with the ram or cmos.....Thanks for any help

tkrabec
05-22-2007, 02:41 PM
When you used the other monitor did you see the Boot Sequence at all? If not I'd try removing every device from your computer including the processor and ram. then Add back the processor, then the ram, seeing if there is a beep code. Also I'd try a different power supply.

powersway
05-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Other monitor was the same, have reseated the ram but not the processer, have tried diff video card and all the same, switched it on earlier and it came on when i pressed f10 it started counting up the ram, got to press esc and then f1 to see if it was bios but it just died again...thanks for the reply

TechPro
05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Have you tried going into safe mode and choosing:

Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode by using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

This sets windows to the most basic video settings and you can change the settings until you find something that works.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:
1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
2. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
3. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.

Source here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222