PDA

View Full Version : tricky problem...need help asap!

dicklaw18
05-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Ok, my comp started out just going very slow for a about a half a week. Next it got extremely slow, with a response time of about 2 mins after i made a click. Then it wouldnt start up period, and kept restarting it self during boot-up. Then i got the error of a file missing or corrupt, c:\windows\system32\config\system i performed multiple chkdsk /r and chkdsk /p using the recovery console from my xp cd, and found directions online on how to fix the corrupt file by using a previous version of it from system restore. It worked for a couple hours, then it all happened again. I fixed it again, and it happened again. Next time i tried to fix it, i gottt unrecoverable hard drive errors, so i am now stuck. I tried to install xp on a diffrent section of hard drive, but its giving me trouble and going extremely slow. I tried booting with UBCD(or however its spelled, lol) but i never even get the option to boot to it., but i boot fine with windows xp cd. I am very stuck at this point and value everyones assistance!!

dicklaw18
05-10-2007, 06:16 AM
By the way, the computer is a laptop, a zv6170 us.

TechPro
05-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Sounds to me like the Hard disk is on its way out....to verify that you could download Drive Fitness Test (http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT) get the cd image and burn the image to a CD. Thats if you can get on another pc to download and burn it.

If you need help burning the file see here:

How to burn .iso files (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm)

Boot the CD and run the program.

See what it says, let us know how you get on!

:)

tkrabec
05-11-2007, 04:57 AM
If you suspect that your drive is on the way out Clone the drive 1st then run utilities on it to check the fitness. I've not used clonezilla yet but it is supposed to be a good HD cloning software.

dicklaw18
05-12-2007, 04:32 AM
ok, i was hoping that someone knew a way around it, since i cant remove my harddrive!(stripped screw) i know there is ways to still remove it but id rather try anything else first, lol. and thanks you for that link to that software! it is bootable im taking it, correct?

TechPro
05-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Yes the software is bootable, have you done a test yet?

dicklaw18
05-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Yes the software is bootable, have you done a test yet?

im doing a test right now for it. its already passed the quick test, im doing advanced now. Could that really be the cause of it going so slow? or could it perhaps be a cpu problem?

dicklaw18
05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
0x72
Device S.M.A.R.T. Error.
The Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) has detected a drive problem.
The drive may fail soon and should be replaced as soon as possible.

:mad:

Bryce W
05-16-2007, 07:39 AM
If you are stuck with that stripped screw, it is possible to drill the head of the screw out (meaning destroy the head of the screw) but you will need to be very careful. If you, or someone you know, knows their stuff with drills (its not just a case of get a drill and go at it, you need the right drill bit or you could damage the harddrive), the top of it can be removed. I dont recommend it, but it beats having to get a new laptop just to replace the harddrive.

MrMille
05-16-2007, 10:58 AM
0x72
Device S.M.A.R.T. Error.
The Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) has detected a drive problem.
The drive may fail soon and should be replaced as soon as possible.

:mad:

Known SMART error codes...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis,_and_Reporting_Technology

dicklaw18
05-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Known SMART error codes...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis,_and_Reporting_Technology

that error code was the one provided by the bootable Drive Fitness Test software, it wasnt a actualy SMART error code

MrMille
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
did smart give an error code too?

dicklaw18
05-17-2007, 05:00 AM
nope, i never got a smart error

dicklaw18
05-17-2007, 07:31 AM
also, does anyone know iof a good program to create a full harddrive backup onto my usb hard drive using a bootable cd?(also has to be free)

tkrabec
05-17-2007, 12:13 PM
try clonezilla

dicklaw18
05-18-2007, 04:18 PM
try clonezilla

its not working for me, im not sure if its something im doing or what, but have any ideas for programs?

dicklaw18
05-18-2007, 04:28 PM
or can maybe someone help me figure out how to clone onto a usb drive using a cd to boot? im having trouble