PDA

View Full Version : Windows freeze/crash

MikeInfo
05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I've been having this problem with my second computer for a year and now I decided to do something about it.

The problem is that randomly windows freeze with the only solution being resetting the PC.

I've tried a lot of things:

- Fresh install of XP
- New HDD
- New Power Supply
- Another video card
- Different RAM

Now I don't know where to look except mobo/cpu.

What do you think, next step would be to change mobo/cpu? (It's an old Duron 1300 so I don't think it's really worth it)

Thanks a lot :D

p.s.: forgot to mention that I cleaned the CPU fan and the CPU heatsink

manskei
05-09-2007, 06:10 PM
I have recently started having the same random freeze/crash problem ...

I can immediately say that, in my case , the problem is not due to overheating and the reason I can say this is that the motherboard, fan & heat sink have been replaced by Dell in the past 2 weeks, these are perfectly clean, the machine is well ventilated and up until now it has been operating perfectly well for the past 2 years. CMOS / BIOS was updated by Dell & the technician confirmed that this is a software / registry / Driver problem. It is worth saying that I was attempting to update the BIOS as part of a previous attempt to solve this freeze problem ... but the machine hung again during the update - hence the Dell call-out!

I have noticed that the freeze (frequently but not always) occurs on a mouse click while working through the hierarchy of drop down commands in a program.

I've had the Task Manager on screen &, using Outlook as an example, opening an email is fine but then clicking on File or edit or view etc will send the CPU useage to 100%, it will stay there, & the next click (either on the dropdown menu or back in the email) will cause an immediate freeze. The cursor will not respond, ctrl-alt-del has no effect & the only way out is to manually turn off the machine.

I've used Outlook as an example but this freeze occurs whichever program is active ... it will even occur playing Patience.

Biggest problem is that I can spend all afternoon using the machine without a problem but then it will freeze 4 times in half an hour. No logic to it that I can see. The C: drive has been defragged etc, an F-secure scan finds no viruses or malware etc & I'm also using CCleaner & Uniblue Registry Booster. All appears clean.

I don't know if you have seen that clip where a guy is working in an office cubicle & gets so frustrated that he rams the keyboard through the screen? I am getting close to that point. Help!!!

Cheers,
Keith

MS Windows XP SP2
Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop
Intel Pentium 4
CPU 3.00GHz
512 Mb RAM
RADEON X300 Series
200 Gb Free drive space

tkrabec
05-09-2007, 07:40 PM
MikeInfo
Did you remove the heatsink from the processor? If so did you clean the old thermal compound and put compound down?

manskei It sounds like bad ram run memtest86 on it and tell us the results.

-- Tim

MikeInfo
05-10-2007, 04:45 AM
MikeInfo
Did you remove the heatsink from the processor? If so did you clean the old thermal compound and put compound down?
-- Tim

Nah I haven't removed it because I didn't have any thermal paste home but do you suggest I get some and try that?

tkrabec
05-10-2007, 06:58 AM
yes I would try that.

MikeInfo
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Ok thanks I'll try that and post as soon as I can see the results

MikeInfo
05-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I've went and buy some thermal compound and redid the CPU/Heatsink.

It's been a week and the PC froze a couple of times again.

I really don't have any clue what to do next except changing Mobo then CPU (if they still exist)

TechPro
05-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Have you got some compressed air and cleaned out all the fans with it?

Especially the CPU fan/s?

The dust would cause the heat to build up and overheat?

focuz
05-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Did you run Memtest like tkrabec suggested. It definitely shouldn't be an overheating issue if you put in new grease. If the ram is good then its probably a bad CPU

MikeInfo
05-27-2007, 05:01 AM
Yeah everything's cleaned up.

Memory has been tested and swapped to be sure.

I guess my CPU is dying slowly now... I'll try to get another one. Wish me good luck on finding a Duron 1300 :D

Thanks for the help

MrMille
05-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Chances are you could put a slightly better processor than the original part.
Let us know what your current mobo is and we'll try to guide you.