PDA

View Full Version : Hows things computer repair people?

TechPro
05-07-2007, 06:30 AM
So how are things going for everyone in the computer repair business?

What are you guys/gals seeing lots of?

Still getting plenty of Virus/spyware calls? Or more and more users becoming aware of the security of their PCs?
I certainly have seen a decline in this type of work....

Anyone done much work with vista...I havnt seen or played with it as much as I would like!

Got a favourite piece of software that you are using or selling lots of at the moment?

I have been using this (http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/) lots recently to take off all the crap on pc's that people buy from Dell or the like its a wicked piece of software. Definatly a time saver and worth the 20 dollars for a technicians license!

Any thoughts anything you guys wana add?

:) Techpro

Jura
05-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Not all of us here are into the career/hobby of fixing stuff I break. = (

TechPro
05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Fair enough! :)

Jura
05-12-2007, 04:09 AM
If you use the :) emoticon too much it'll get stuck.:)

dracken
05-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Where I work we deal with alot of hardware related problems. I probably replace more hard drives in machines than anything else. Dealing with laptops alot that seems to be the component that fails the most. We do occasionally have the spyware, virus problems though. It does seem though that the number of virus,spyware problems have decreased though. The university where I work they have the free Antivirus/Spyware suites they give out every year now and it seems to help reduce the number of machines that become infected.

MrMille
05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Mostly hardware problems, and some data recovery, occasionally malware.

tkrabec
05-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Mostly Malware, and bad hard drives, some setups and general stuff.

Bryce W
05-29-2007, 02:26 AM
Before I went travelling, I was mostly getting malware related issues and bugs in 3rd party programs. With the hardware jobs the part that gets replaced most are power supplies. The government is putting in a massive highway that spans the whole north east, east and south east of my city and the construction of it is causing alot of power surges which nukes the PSU's.

Anyone done much work with vista...I havnt seen or played with it as much as I would like!
I have had only two onsite jobs with computers that had Vista installed. One was putting in more ram because Vista was running like crap and the other was driver issues.

MrMille
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
http://get.live.com/betas/familysafety_betas

Bryce W
05-30-2007, 09:30 PM
http://get.live.com/betas/familysafety_betas
Have you tried it yet? Is it free?

CalculationUpload
06-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Well, Im not in th repair business but hop to when im older.

But anyway, I do fix my familys computers and have had to fix our laptop a few times not major things just by accidnt my family member keeps changing the display settings so I had to change it back. Also quite a while back our Norton Anti-Virus licence ran out (it came free), so I had to remove it and install AVG which is alot better.