PDA

View Full Version : But Dad, all I did was plug it in !

NYJimbo
09-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Guy drops off a Acer Aspire One for a jack job. His kid borrowed it to show a friend but comes back an hour later saying the "power connector thingy isnt there". He dad is furious the kid broke his machine in under an hour, the kid says "But Dad, all I did was plug it in".

You be the judge: :D

dhrandy
09-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Nice. Looks like someone dropped it on the plug. I have seen the metal sleeve come out of the jack.

Reviver
09-03-2009, 04:39 PM
May I ask how you plan to repair it? Using crazy glue maybe, if it's just the plastic that broke?

Just curious for future reference.

NYJimbo
09-03-2009, 04:46 PM
May I ask how you plan to repair it? Using crazy glue maybe, if it's just the plastic that broke?

Just curious for future reference.

You remove the entire jack and put a new one in.

Never try to "repair" a jack.

Reviver
09-03-2009, 04:53 PM
You remove the entire jack and put a new one in.

Never try to "repair" a jack.

Ah, of course. :D

Do you need to order the part based on the laptop model, or are there generic laptop jacks that can be purchased?

NYJimbo
09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Ah, of course. :D

Do you need to order the part based on the laptop model, or are there generic laptop jacks that can be purchased?

part based on the laptop model, but I have 50 or so different ones in stock and this I got.

NickCat11
09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Wow, looks like he plugged it in alright.... and then reinforced it with a hammer.

ProTech Support
09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Just had a Toshiba Satellite come in yesterday with a similar issue.

The problem with this one was that the power connector is not sodered directly to the board like most laptops, instead it is a little plastic module that is secured by another piece of plastic behind it.

Kid somehow snapped the plasic bracket that held the module, so I had to Gorilla glue the plastic module onto the bezel of the laptop. Seems to be holding up pretty good, I really had no other ideas on correcting this as the snapped off plastic was missing and there is no way to replace except for swapping the whole bezel (not worth it for this issue).

http://www.powerbrixx.com/images/PB17051p.jpg

NYJimbo
09-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Ok, that will be $99, thank you for your patronage, I'll be seeing you again soon !

NYJimbo
09-03-2009, 05:21 PM
So far everytime one of those "slip-fit" toshibas come in, the edge of the jack itself is broken and not the mount. I have been lucky enough to just have to tear apart the wire harness, put in a new jack, solder, heat shrink some tubing and put a blob of hotmelt for looks and done. :)

Mr I
09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
So far everytime one of those "slip-fit" toshibas come in, the edge of the jack itself is broken and not the mount. I have been lucky enough to just have to tear apart the wire harness, put in a new jack, solder, heat shrink some tubing and put a blob of hotmelt for looks and done. :)
no pictures of the final result?

NYJimbo
09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
no pictures of the final result?

I posted the repair a couple posts back.

ProTech Support
09-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Yea I was anticipating that to be the issue, but unfortunately it was not. I would have been happier with that as I could have fully repaired it, and been confident in the work.

With the bracket being broken and Gorilla Glue being the only thing holding this thing, I don't feel 100% satisfied with the repair. Customer also needed the laptop OS cleaned out, so I only charged her $15 for the jack repair part of it.

dhrandy
09-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Just had a Toshiba Satellite come in yesterday with a similar issue.

The problem with this one was that the power connector is not sodered directly to the board like most laptops, instead it is a little plastic module that is secured by another piece of plastic behind it.

Kid somehow snapped the plasic bracket that held the module, so I had to Gorilla glue the plastic module onto the bezel of the laptop. Seems to be holding up pretty good, I really had no other ideas on correcting this as the snapped off plastic was missing and there is no way to replace except for swapping the whole bezel (not worth it for this issue).

http://www.powerbrixx.com/images/PB17051p.jpg

I like this design. Keep from breaking off the motherboard as easy.

NYJimbo
09-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I like this design. Keep from breaking off the motherboard as easy.

You would think its nicer, but when the mounts on these break you have nothing to put the jack back into. At least with solder mount almost all of the time you can take the old one out, clean it up and put a new one in that is STRONGER than the original jack. The jack I did on this thread was banged so hard the back "positive" pin bent and ripped out of the mobo but still caused no damage to the mobo so it was just a new jack with solder and back in business.

dhrandy
09-03-2009, 06:29 PM
You would think its nicer, but when the mounts on these break you have nothing to put the jack back into. At least with solder mount almost all of the time you can take the old one out, clean it up and put a new one in that is STRONGER than the original jack. The jack I did on this thread was banged so hard the back "positive" pin bent and ripped out of the mobo but still caused no damage to the mobo so it was just a new jack with solder and back in business.

I didn't think of it that way. Your right. I guess it's worse.

NickCat11
09-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Ok, that will be $99, thank you for your patronage, I'll be seeing you again soon !

NYJimbo, how long does the whole dc jack replacement process take you?

NYJimbo
09-03-2009, 06:37 PM
NYJimbo, how long does the whole dc jack replacement process take you?

I'm not racing against the clock like some people seem to be for some reason. ;)

So it takes me about 30 minutes for an average tear down, 10-15 minutes for the jack and then about 20-30 for the rebuild. Sometimes its longer when I stop to inspect things or its a new laptop and something looks weird or I see something that needs attention. I also take a couple minutes break in between major functions. I imagine it could be done faster, but I have to laugh when I read about people doing a tear down in 5 minutes and I look at the 75 screws that just came out of a HP pavillion and start doing the math on what it would take to REALLY do a tear down in 5-10 minutes. ;)

NickCat11
09-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Cool, thanks for the post. I have a half dozen abandoned laptops here that I want to start learning the whole process on. Right now I am in the process of getting the proper equipment. I was figuring around 2 hours time or more especially since it's new to me. Thanks again for the breakdown.

NYJimbo
09-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Cool, thanks for the post. I have a half dozen abandoned laptops here that I want to start learning the whole process on. Right now I am in the process of getting the proper equipment. I was figuring around 2 hours time or more especially since it's new to me. Thanks again for the breakdown.

Take your time. It should always feel natural to you, that is the whole process should leave you feeling you are doing it right and when it's done you are satisified the thing is back together correctly. I find most new people take about 1 hour or more to tear it down. De-soldering is far more tricky than soldering, so it can be a couple minutes or six hours if you do not have the tools, skills and know the tricks when it comes to some jacks. Re-assembly is always quicker because you already know how it came apart.

Having a decent digitial camera is a great tool for when you start, take pictures of various stages if you think it would help in rebuilding.

Mr.Mike
09-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi NYJimbo,

Nice work! Now that's how to work with circuit boards!

NickCat11
09-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Take your time. It should always feel natural to you, that is the whole process should leave you feeling you are doing it right and when it's done you are satisified the thing is back together correctly. I find most new people take about 1 hour or more to tear it down. De-soldering is far more tricky than soldering, so it can be a couple minutes or six hours if you do not have the tools, skills and know the tricks when it comes to some jacks. Re-assembly is always quicker because you already know how it came apart.

Having a decent digitial camera is a great tool for when you start, take pictures of various stages if you think it would help in rebuilding.

Thanks for the great pointers :)

ProTech Support
09-03-2009, 08:18 PM

That is exactly the problem. I had nowhere left to mount it to. I would have taken a normal board mounted jack over this *thing*.