PDA

View Full Version : Operating System reinstallation

Processor
04-14-2007, 01:44 PM
how often is it advisable to reinstall an OS ? is it good or bad for a PC to undergo a frequent reinstallation of OS? Can an OS remain intact for years? or should I reinstall it every 2-3 months? Thanks in advance!

tkrabec
04-14-2007, 03:28 PM
I do not generally re-install the Operating system. I will install and re-install an OS if I am testing or trying out different versions of Linux, but once I've chosen the OS for the machine it pretty much stays that OS with that install for the life of the machine.

-- Tim

Processor
04-14-2007, 03:38 PM
thank you very much for the detailed answer to my question! but if we take into consideration PC's stability and performance may it be necessary for the OS to be re-installed?

tkrabec
04-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I've had very good luck using the spy ware, ad ware, and visrus scanners to clean a machine, then I also look in the log files and fix the errors there. I forgot to mention that if I retire machine ie move it from a windows file & print server I may put Linux on it and run it as a mail server or sommat.

Mac
06-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Really you should vary rarely need to reinstall a customers OS. But personally I store sensitive info so I boot n nuke once a week. Normally it would take a while to install again but I use an unattended disk I slapped together. This is my process.
Put the nuke disk in the drive before I go to bed and reboot. Wake up in the morning at 7am. Put my unattended disk in and walk away. Do whatever I have to do and a couple of hours later it’s all done.

%100 full auto. Service packs, hot fixes are all slipstreamed to the disk and I also have reg tweaks, programs, settings, keys etc etc all on there. Try http://www.msfn.org/

It’s not so good for your hard drive but I haven’t had any problems yet. ;)

Bryce W
06-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Can an OS remain intact for years? or should I reinstall it every 2-3 months? Thanks in advance!
For myself, my OS lasts years because I know what to watch out for and how to fix things if my own PC does run into trouble.

As for clients, I always try and fix before I consider a format. It do it on a case by case basis evaluating whether its worth spending time trying to repair and what my chances of succeeding are.

As for your is it bad for the PC question... Like Mac, I haven't seen a problem yet either.

Goob
06-10-2007, 07:45 PM
I tend to do an "update" install every like 6 months or so, more just to stop windows rot before it occurs.

Dream Aura Knight
06-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Reinstalling an OS several times in theory isn't bad at all.

The number your Hard Drive takes is a lot worst however. It's like writing a page of information with a pencil on paper. Then erase all of that with your rubber eraser. Then write all of that again. Then erase. Repeat after some time, that paper won't look as pretty anymore, will it?

It's the same concept for a Hard Drive. Frequent reformats and rewrites isn't too good and can in theory, shorten the lifespan of your hard drive. Also, reinstalling and reformatting isn't always good either because there can be left over artifacts such as data that wasn't fully erased for whatever reason that can conflict with a full reinstall of an OS.

When reformatting occurs, it normally just hits a memory page and writes a binary "00000000" or "0x0" for "no memory" / "Null": Meaning free space. It's also the same concept with RAM. Overtime, leaked data (memory) can hurt memory systems... which is why rebooting once in a full moon is nice. It clears all memory in RAM which is ok. A hard drive however, not so ok.

gunslinger
07-20-2007, 06:57 PM
I reinstall about every 4-6 months on most of my systems.

dracken
07-21-2007, 06:10 AM
I usually reload my systems 6-8 months.

focuz
07-23-2007, 01:46 PM
I choose an OS and stick with it. An OS reinstall is way to much of a hassle to do on a regular basis. You just have to know how to clean out windows real good so that it stays in good condition.

gunslinger
07-23-2007, 02:18 PM
The problem with windows is that its almost impossible to get rid of every trace of every program you uninstall. I use your uninstaller , a program that cleans most of the reg entries out, then I run Ccleaner. Still after maybe 4-5 months of use with the same programs installed that i started with my hard drive space decreases by 10-15%. This can only be junk left behind.

wizy
08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I reinstall my system every couple of weeks to keep safe from the feds.

gunslinger
08-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I reinstall my system every couple of weeks to keep safe from the feds.

I keep all that with me on an encrypted volume inside an encrypted volume inside password protected zip files on a portable HD infused with 6oz. of thermite. :D I also have boot and nuke set to overwrite my drive 37 times on a 4 button combo.

Bryce W
08-03-2007, 03:42 AM
I keep all that with me on an encrypted volume inside an encrypted volume inside password protected zip files on a portable HD infused with 6oz. of thermite. :D I also have boot and nuke set to overwrite my drive 37 times on a 4 button combo.
I have a sledgehammer. Just as effective :D

gunslinger
08-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I have a sledgehammer. Just as effective :D

depends on how badly "they" want data off of that hard drive. Plus its not a geeky ;)