PDA

View Full Version : Most Annoying/Funny/Weird Moment on a PC repair

Bryce W
03-04-2006, 04:44 AM
Annoying Moment:

The other day I went to a clients house to set up their wireless. Its a relatively simple job for me as I have done it many times.

So I get to their house and start working. I plug a PC directly into the modem and everything works fine.I move around plugs and get it prepared for the wirless. I set all the settings as I have done many times and for some reason the internet wasnt working. All the laptops could connect to the wireless router fine and browse within the network but couldnt get to the internet.

So I look at the DHCP settings on both devices and make sure one is turned off and the other is turned on and its passing the correc information to the other device (as both the modem and wireless router have the ability to act as a DHCP server).

The client is beginning to look at me as if I didnt know what I was doing and looked like he was doubting my technical skills. I couldnt for the life of me figure out why they couldnt connect to the net. I suspected that the clients gave me the wrong username and password as they were only 70% sure that it was correct.

So I call the ISP and ask for them to confirm the password for me. They said that they couldnt confirm the password because they are having network outages. I asked a little further about the network outages and he said the entire area where I was was totally offline. I asked the isp support guy to tell the account owner (my client) about the downtime just to prove to him it wasnt me.

The ISP (known as the most reliable around here) decided to have a massive downtime (which I havent seen for about 2.5 years) WHILE I was trying to setup a wireless network with internet sharing. It was working before I started but drops as soon as I start playing with wires.

I ended up fixing him up in the end, but only after 2 hours of trying to figure out what the hell was wrong.

Weird Moment:

This one actually happened today. I went to a clients house to fix her computer, over the phone before the job she said that her screen kept saying "no signal" howeverso I assumed that either the screen is unplugged or the video card is dead but the harddrive/power lights would stay solid so I thought it wouldnt be the power supply.

I arrive at the house and look and see the screen saying "No signal" as expected. I then look at the lights and every single light on the computer was solid including CD rom reading lights. I thought the PC had frozen so I held down the power button for 8 seconds and it didnt shut off. So I reach around the back and unplug one of the power plugs and it didnt shut off. I assumed the one I unplugged was the monitor plug and not the power one so I pull that one out too. At this stage ALL power cords are unplugged from the computer but the light STILL stayed on.

I waited about 10 for the compacitors to discharge and the lights to slowly fade out. 15 seconds passed, 20 seconds passed. What the HELL? I double checked the power plugs and both were 100% unplugged. This was getting weird

I look around the back of the PC and see there is a powered USB hub hiding amongst the cables, I unplug the cable and the lights eventually go out. I have never seen a powered PC hub keep all the computers lights on solid even when its turned off. Hell, ive never seen a powered PC hub give any power (thats noticeable anyway) to the computer that isnt related to USB.

It was just a weird moment looking at both of the unplugged power plugs in my hand and seeing the PC still have power.

a1whs.com
03-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Did you hear the powersupply fan go off when you unplugged the wires ? And could you hear the fan on monitor running ? And you sure pc was not haunted :).

gunslinger
07-22-2007, 06:51 PM
The same thing happend to me once with an IBM Thinkpad laptop. I unplugged it then removed the battery, and it stayed on almost a full min. before going of with a loud click. never did figure out what was going on.

idiot_savant
07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
maybe the PC or the house is haunted :D......scary...:eek: