PDA

View Full Version : LinkSys router WRT54GS $18 (refurb)

sys-eng
08-26-2009, 01:20 PM
http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=r29712kk8640b9o&id=1030304&utm_medium=refer

LINKSYS WRT54GS ROUTER
LINKSYS REFURBISHED WRT54GS WIRELESS-G ROUTER WITH SPEEDBOOSTER (REFURBISHED BY LINKSYS/CISCO WITH A 90 DAY WARRANTY) - WRT54GS-RM / WRT54GSRM

ProTech Support
08-26-2009, 05:25 PM
I think that is like worlds most popular wireless router...99% of my residential customers have it, and it is the one I always recommend. Thanks for the post.

And if you are a real badass, you have done this:

http://www.hackerpimps.com/wrtzilla.jpg

NickCat11
08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
That is badass....Difficult to do?

sys-eng
08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
I am no LinkSys expert by a long shot but I thought I would share the following. This is NOT the much sought after Linux version. That is the WRT54GL which Newegg has on sale for $45.70.

The Linksys Customer/Technical Support is absolutely terrible. Buying a couple of these refurbs would be better than waiting for Linksys to respond.

I use Belkin wireless router most often and have found them to work well except for their software. It is very unusual to have to reboot a Belkin to get it to recognize the computer or Internet.

ProTech Support
08-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I am no LinkSys expert by a long shot but I thought I would share the following. This is NOT the much sought after Linux version. That is the WRT54GL which Newegg has on sale for $45.70.

The Linksys Customer/Technical Support is absolutely terrible. Buying a couple of these refurbs would be better than waiting for Linksys to respond.

I use Belkin wireless router most often and have found them to work well except for their software. It is very unusual to have to reboot a Belkin to get it to recognize the computer or Internet.

I am going to have to agree that Linksys support is one of the biggest downfalls of the company.

ProTech Support
08-26-2009, 07:45 PM
That is badass....Difficult to do?

Actually, I cannot say I am a badass because I didn't do that. Saw that picture years ago on Google and saved it :p

The pictures title was WRTZILLA :rolleyes:

NickCat11
08-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I guess you could call this a mobile badass linksys router :D

http://www.technibble.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=450&stc=1&d=1251370683

Cue
08-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree, the Linksys 54GL is the best equipment from Linksys, the 54G and 54GS are not even close in reliability I THINK.

Thanks for letting us know.

hondablaster
08-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree, the Linksys 54GL is the best equipment from Linksys, the 54G and 54GS are not even close in reliability I THINK.

I always thought they were the same router with only different sizes of on board memory and I believe different clock speeds. Throw tomatoe's firmware on it and there is no difference.

angry_geek
08-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Why bother with a refurbed linksys router at all? They're $50 at Staples. I can see maybe a refurbed PIX or something, but not a consumer grade router.

NickCat11
08-28-2009, 04:01 PM
I loved linksys back in oh.. 2006 and before..
But lately I have sworn off of them completely after they nearly burnt my shop to the ground with a defective WRVS4400N($255) and then I emailed them and they did not give a ****, and they no longer offered tech support via email.

I don't use many Linksys products either. The only thing I do use is the Linksys WRT54gl router. It's been great for all my installs and personal use. And for $45 it's a steal. I agree with the previous poster that I would just buy a new router instead of a refurb. Why take any chances...

NickCat11
08-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Wow, that's crazy how cheap they are getting!

@ncient geek
08-29-2009, 09:23 AM

I don't think that this is crazy. With the exception of the 54GL, the rest of the 54 series is total garbage.
Several years ago (prehistoric), Linksys produced rather fine networking gear.
For several years now Linksys has maily put junk on the market.

In the last year we sold Linksys, almost every router installed had to be replaced, the refurbished hardware which came back from repair was often back down within hours or days.

The do not compare in any way to Dlink, and are lightyears away from Netgear and Zyxel.

Linksys is a no no on my list today

NickCat11
08-29-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't think that this is crazy. With the exception of the 54GL, the rest of the 54 series is total garbage.
Several years ago (prehistoric), Linksys produced rather fine networking gear.
For several years now Linksys has maily put junk on the market.

In the last year we sold Linksys, almost every router installed had to be replaced, the refurbished hardware which came back from repair was often back down within hours or days.

The do not compare in any way to Dlink, and are lightyears away from Netgear and Zyxel.

Linksys is a no no on my list today

The 54gl is still one of the top routers in my list. As old as it is I still use it all the time and NEVER had a problem with it. For this specific router $37 is a great deal considering most newer routers are $60 and above and aren't near as reliable.

@ncient geek
08-29-2009, 11:09 AM
With the exception of the 54GL, the rest of the 54 series is total garbage.

So I said, I believe :)

NickCat11
08-29-2009, 11:26 AM
So I said, I believe :)

My bad, lol....I missed that :(

ITG Tech
09-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Did anyone else notice the tech support quality dropped when Cisco acquired Linksys?

ProTech Support
09-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Did anyone else notice the tech support quality dropped when Cisco acquired Linksys?

I have had calls to them that lasted 2+ hours...I avoid calling them at all costs.

Cue
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Cisco does not like tech support unless you pay for it :mad:

sys-eng
09-07-2009, 05:08 AM

The "G" class is being replaced by the "N" class routers so I suspect they will be cheap for a while then really hard to get. I don't know how much difference people can really tell between the two speeds. I haven't see a real world comparison test between the two environments.

NickCat11
09-07-2009, 05:55 AM
The "G" class is being replaced by the "N" class routers so I suspect they will be cheap for a while then really hard to get. I don't know how much difference people can really tell between the two speeds. I haven't see a real world comparison test between the two environments.

I am probably going to by a handful of them if that's the case :)