PDA

View Full Version : Enabling Port Forwarding for Http and Https (need help!)

scottjb78
08-25-2009, 05:40 PM
So I have a customer with a home network that has a static IP address from comcast. As well as a comcast gateway (router) from what I can tell is pretty straight forward. Its configured to take care of DHCP and all the firewall stuff!

On the networking side everything on the inside has a address of 10.1.10.x

I have two devices that are going to need port forwarding enabled from the outside. I have created two A records that will route to the clients static Public IP from Comcast and then forward through the router to the appropriate device with its own static IP.

The two devices are a Sonic Wall SSL VPN 200 and a Microsoft Home Server. Both of these devices are on the 10.1.10.x network and they need to have the HTTP (port 80) and HTTPS (port 443) traffic forwarded to it. The confusion comes in when someone where to type either http: or https: how will the router know if you want Sonic Wall or MS Home server?

In the past I have only done port forwarding for either one of these devices but never really learned how to get it to work for both at the same time? Does anyone know the simplelist way to do this? Do I need to put them on seperate networks? Setup a DMZ? Just need the simplist way!

TLE
08-25-2009, 07:08 PM
If your client also wishes to gain access to the console from the webpage, port 4125 is also required in addition to 80 and 443.

By default WHS will try and automatically forward these ports if the router has UPnP enabled.

TLE

TLE
08-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Does the router use NAT? If it does it may not be possible to have 2 devices behind a NAT enabled router using the same port as the end point cannot be resolved.

You could change the ports which WHS uses. If you google "We Got Served" you will find plenty of WHS information there. I know alot of people end up doing this as there ISP's often block ports 80, 443 and 4125

Thanks

TLE

SOHO-NZ
08-25-2009, 07:38 PM
You cannot externally have the same ports forwarded to 2 devices.

What you can do is have something like:
External Port 80 - Forward to Device 1:80
External Port 81 - Forward to Device 2:80

Obviously the user needs to know to use port 81 for connecting to device 2

Else, you can could change the port requirements of the actual devices, but can be sometimes be problematic.

scottjb78
08-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Basically the client wants to take one static public IP and use ports 80 and 443 for two internal devices on the private side of the firewall. It is using natting. From my understanding you cannot use the same ports for two devices and that makes sense to me. The only solution will be to change one of the devices to use different ports. I think changing the home server will be easier than the Sonic Wall VPN SSL appliance.

Thanks for the help!