PDA

View Full Version : Wireless making us mad...

DanF
08-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi, this is probably due to lack of experience with wireless networks. THis is the scenario.

The client has a 300N wireless router. Among the computers they have 3 laptops. 2 of them work properly all around the house. One of them doesn't, even if the client is in the room beside the router. All laptops have 54mbps 802.11g. It will also lag badly when using skype when compared to the other laptops. It was also disconnecting every few minutes but it looks like the problem got solved by simply updating the drivers.

Now, as I'm not that experienced with these problems, I thought it's eighter the built-in wi-fi going bad or it's a crappy receiver.

I thought of getting myself a 300N wi-fi PCMCIA card and give it to the client to try it for a few days. What do you think is the problem in your opinion?

Thanks guys.

Davis Computer Services
08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
It seems that it was the drivers. If it is working correctly now, it isn't going bad.

TimeCode
08-19-2009, 04:30 PM
It seems that it was the drivers. If it is working correctly now, it isn't going bad.

Ditto. Sometimes hardware drivers get interference from other drivers or simply don't work with 1 specific MoBo or piece of hardware. If updating the drivers fixed the issue. What's the problem?

jbutler9
08-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Welcome to Joseph's Educated Guess Line:

1. You have an Atheros Wireless card on your wireless enabled computers?

Bam!

2. You have tried to update the drivers and there are no updates, or the updates didn't work?

Bam!

3. You silently talk to yourself asking why the settings all seem correct but this doesn't work?

Bam!

(I love Dave Chappel)

Ok but serious, I am having a serious problem with my Atheros wireless adapters. It doesn't matter how close I am to any wireless router, the things just loose data streaming connection. I check the settings (ip config, connection notification, I have even switched to FireFox (which I now love by the way), but if I use a linksys usb wireless adapter I have no problems with internet connection.

I am beginning to think that Atheros is just a poorly manufactured product that has been built with unstable communications protocols or defective hardware.

Anyone else?

usacvlr
08-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Try changing the channel on the router.

Canadian Tech
08-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I was going ot say if its dropping the connection then change the channel too.

DanF
08-19-2009, 10:43 PM
What I meant was that this specific laptop still lags badly unlike the other laptops which work fine. The disconnection issue was solved by a simple driver update, it seems.

gadz00ks1
08-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Welcome to Joseph's Educated Guess Line:

1. You have an Atheros Wireless card on your wireless enabled computers?

Bam!

2. You have tried to update the drivers and there are no updates, or the updates didn't work?

Bam!

3. You silently talk to yourself asking why the settings all seem correct but this doesn't work?

Bam!

(I love Dave Chappel)

Ok but serious, I am having a serious problem with my Atheros wireless adapters. It doesn't matter how close I am to any wireless router, the things just loose data streaming connection. I check the settings (ip config, connection notification, I have even switched to FireFox (which I now love by the way), but if I use a linksys usb wireless adapter I have no problems with internet connection.

I am beginning to think that Atheros is just a poorly manufactured product that has been built with unstable communications protocols or defective hardware.

Anyone else?

I've had my experiences with these Atheros wireless adapters and I believe they are defective. They will either not detect the wireless signal or drop it altogether.