PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Details

hwang
03-02-2006, 08:22 AM
I found these articles related to Windows Vista (New OS) release.

Vista opens on Microsoft Windows
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4708177.stm

Longhorn's new name: Windows Vista
http://news.com.com/Longhorns+new+name+Windows+Vista/2100-1016_3-5799734.html

Longhorn Gets a Name: Windows Vista
http://www.betanews.com/article/Longhorn_Gets_a_Name_Windows_Vista/1122002477

Microsoft would delay Windows Vista for quality
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13716

This articles are about WVista Features

Windows Vista FAQ
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/vista.asp

Wikipedia: Windows Vista
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

Of course, don't forget to visit Official Windows Vista site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/default.mspx

Enjoy reading!!

MysteryMan
06-02-2006, 07:48 AM
I am really looking forward to Windows Vista. Can't wait for it to release. Its good to hear that the hardware requirements are not really high. I hope Microsoft live up to all the expectations this time.

kamesh
06-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Not much can be said about it. This OS needs to be pretty good as Google OS will soon be lauching its product tooo... overall, Vista will be a good OS...

Bryce W
06-03-2006, 05:41 AM
I am a bit on-the-fence about it. Alot of the new features they were going to have, has since been stripped out such as being able to give your files Keywords.

For example, for you to find the pictures that you took when you were in the Sahara via file search, you typically have to name your images Me_in_Sahara.jpg.

With the keywording your images can be called IMG0001.jpg and have the keywords "sahara, me, 2006, world trip" accociated with it which would have been able to be found using the search.

kamesh
06-05-2006, 03:51 AM
An update on Vista: Windows Vista Beta 2 includes a new security feature designed to protect against buffer overrun exploits. Called Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), the feature loads key system files in different memory locations each time the PC starts, making it harder for malicious code to run.

Doesnt this sounds good?

Bryce W
06-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Kamesh, the feature does sound good. However, as they say, fix some old bugs and put new ones in. They are going to fix previously known bugs such as buffer overflows and introduce some new ones we havent even heard of yet.

Not that this is going to stop me using it as all OS's have their issues, but I definitely wont be using Windows Vista because its 'secure'.

I plan to be a late adopter of it and wait for everyone else to have early problems with it and once Microsoft fixes the initial bugs (maybe 5 months or so) I'll hop on the bandwagon.

Kiwwa
06-09-2006, 02:20 AM
I am a bit on-the-fence about it. Alot of the new features they were going to have, has since been stripped out such as being able to give your files Keywords.

For example, for you to find the pictures that you took when you were in the Sahara via file search, you typically have to name your images Me_in_Sahara.jpg.

With the keywording your images can be called IMG0001.jpg and have the keywords "sahara, me, 2006, world trip" accociated with it which would have been able to be found using the search.The problem I have with this is that these features SOUND fantastic... But no current files have support for this 'universal keyword' feature; now that problem was going to be solved by some technology in WinFS I believe... BUTTT that isn't out yet according to Microsoft.

The only way I can see being able to attach keywords universally is to have either a hidden .inf or .xml file for each file or folder (you couldn't have a root directory only .xml file, the lookup's inside this hack'n'slash 'database' would take forever) OR a hidden data-stream associated with each file would contain these .inf or .xml datasets (which is what I believe Apple either currently do or did sometime in the past).

This is a feature i've been looking foward to for a long time, it would allow you to name files in any manner you want whilst also allowing flexible lookup and retrieval, but Microsoft (as far as I know without caring enough recently to checking to make sure i'm 100% correct, lol) seem to have done the dirty on us and taken out the features that a majority of people didn't understand well enough to know that a few weeks after HAVING these features, they'd never want to go without again.

Aero looks nice though I suppose... lol.

An update on Vista: Windows Vista Beta 2 includes a new security feature designed to protect against buffer overrun exploits. Called Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), the feature loads key system files in different memory locations each time the PC starts, making it harder for malicious code to run.

Doesnt this sounds good?It's good I suppose in that it defeats buffer overflows for key system files, but as the WMF metafile exploit showed us it's not all about randomizing key system files, sometimes the little files can come back and bite you in the a**... Besides, don't both Intel and AMD have technologies at the chipset level that supposely 'defeat' buffer overflow?

Goob
07-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller, hehe.
Thought I'd post here as I'm beta testing Windows Vista Beta 2 at the moment and thought I'd share a few gripes I have with it.
Firstly, the appearance of it is great, nice affects, mostly smooth, sidebar isnt as anoying as I first expected it to be.
Main problems I have had so far include:
Windows Explorer crashing for no apparent reason, even when idling.
Windows Explorer being incredibly slow when browsing my HDD's and folders there in.
Video playback is a bit choppy and lags at times, going very framie.
Network decides to go to limited connect at random, even when all connections are fine.
Driver compatability is still low, which is to be expected so thats not too much of a problem there.
Other than that, thats pretty much it.
If microsoft were to improove on those things they'd have themselves a very stable OS and one that I would love to use, instead of at the moment I'm seriously contemplating re-installing XP as it was far more stable in everything I did.
Anyways, I will try and post more on my annoyances and findings as I go. Anything you guys wanna ask about vista, ask me, maybe I can try and help.

Goob
07-07-2006, 08:47 PM
One other thing I have recently stumbled accross is the integration of Windows Media Center into Vista. Which would be all good if I actually wanted it, but seems to always try and take over Vista as soon as I insert a DVD. Anoys the **** out of me. Anyone know what I can do? Take into account I cant uninstall this part either.

Bryce W
07-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Have you still got Vista installed Goob? I remember you said you were gonna uninstall it.

Goob
07-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Vista is now officially uninstalled, to be installed on my system at a later date.
Its too hard to do anything on my pc as pretty much all my drivers dont work fully with vista, but time will change that. The main thing that **** me was how I had to wait between 2-5 mins to view my drives from my computer. It was just too slow. So I will give it some time. But until then I will test Office 2007 Beta 2

Bryce W
07-10-2006, 10:41 PM
What are the specs of your computer? I thought they were pretty decent? 2.4 or 2.8ish?

They said that Vista is hard on the hardware but I didnt expect it would be that bad. Did you ever try that "computer rating" system thing which gives you a number between 1 and 5 of what your computer is like? If so, what number did your PC get?

The driver thing will obviously get fixed over time as more and more users get onto Vista.

Goob
07-10-2006, 11:07 PM
My PC was rating 2. Things worked well on my pc through vista, dont get me wrong there, but I think that the new windows explorer is still a lil buggy and its hard to really do anything when your hardware isnt working as the drivers dont give them full capabilities. Like for instance, I mainly use my PC to watch movies/TV shows/DVD's etc, and because NVidia have a Beta set of drivers for my video card, it runs extremely lagged and very framie, as well as when I try and play a DVD the only thing it would play in was Media Center which lagged heaps also. The final nail in the coffin for vista for me at this stage was when I tried to play a few games, and Vista just wouldnt allow them. I mean I loved vista, still do, but I think it may just be a lil too early to fully jump on this bandwagon.

irs257
07-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanx for all the articles
i am waiting for full version of Vista

MikeMacD
07-18-2006, 07:01 PM
These are great finds. Thanks for the articles =D

spiderman
07-18-2006, 10:25 PM
very nice links thanks for sharing