PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 5 port and 8 port switch

batemantech
08-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Question,
My networking skills are not that great and I am trying to network 6 computers in my shop 4 are shop computers and 2 will be for when I am working on pcs and needing internet. Well I am running the connections through a netgear router wgr614 and have 2 switches connected to the router. A linksys 5 port and an offbrand 8 port. Well the problem is if I try to hook more than 3 pcs up to either one of them I lose network connection. If I unhook one of the computers from the switch then it is fine. I then went ahead and wired the 8 port switch directly to the cable modem and I was able to run 3 pcs. I would like to run them through the router so I can have control over them and also I am starting school and going to be working with server software and want to do this in the office. I am guessing this is an issue with the router. Do i need to enable a setting to allow me to use theses switches. Thanks for any input.

frostbyte5014
08-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Are you giving the computers a static ip address or are you using dhcp?
If you are using DHCP make sure DHCP is enabled on the router an you need
to unhook all the computers, connect the router
to the modem and power cycle the router. Wait for about five minutes, then
connect your switch to the router. Then start connecting computers to the
switch.

batemantech
08-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Giving them DHCP. I just check the one wired direct to my modem and its doing the same thing. I have 3 hooked to the switch. 2 are online and one is not. I have the business class with comcast which I thought allowed me to do this.

batemantech
08-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Have done what you said but have the same thing happening. Will try again.

ASDCR
08-17-2009, 09:54 PM
hmm... interesting

you "may" have to call the ISP and have them help you put that particular router into what's called "bridged mode"

i'm saying that because it "seems" like they're limiting how many IP numbers you can have - ??

routers are supposed to be able to support over 250 computers (specifically, IP addresses - that many computers would probably smoke that poor lil router!ha!) - so i don't see why PCs 4+ arent' able to get to the internet...

ASDCR
08-17-2009, 09:56 PM
btw... "bridged mode" means it takes their router out of the job of doing DHCP - *your* router becomes the "ruler" - the main "traffic light" so to speak

no, they probably won't like doing that - they'll probably give you some resistance

but stick to your guns - don't take no for an answer
:cool:

batemantech
08-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Well thats the whole point of business class they told me. My modem has 4 ports and I have the router connected to one. I just powered down the router and hooked the switch and then the pcs up and seem to still have connection so I will keep an eye. I have noticed that my line light on the modem goes out every once in a while and I have to power cycle the modem to get it back up. Maybe my modem is just messed up.

frostbyte5014
08-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Have you tested each machine to see if it is getting an ip address. Make sure the router is set to hand out enough addresses.

ASDCR
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
... I just powered down the router and hooked the switch and then the pcs up and seem to still have connection so I will keep an eye. ..

yeah, switches are funny that way

sometimes just power cycling them does the trick

*yawn*

frostbyte5014
08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Most modems only give out a single ip so you have to make sure that the router gets that one. Then let the router hand out the ip to each computer. If a computer happens to get the ip from the modem then the router may not work properly.

Cue
08-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Do you have access to the routers web interface, or does only the ISP have that?

Are you 100% sure that none of those computers are connecting wirelessly also and making a loop of sort?
You have to make sure there are no loops in your setup.

Also, if your switch-es have uplink ports try to use them. But NOT for the computers.

ASDCR
08-18-2009, 03:29 AM
good points

batemantech
08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
So far everything is good. I have done everything everyone has said and each pc has their own IP. The router dislpays being able to give out addresses 1 thru 52. Its just weird when I add a new pc onto the switch it just all craps out. I will keep posted if anything else happens but for now everything is good.

frostbyte5014
08-18-2009, 05:21 PM
May be a flakey power supply or adapter on the switch. Heck there so cheep, I would replace it with a new 8 port.