PDA

View Full Version : Remote Support

dicklaw18
04-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Hello everyone, im trying to start my wn computer business and one of the services i want to offer is remote support. I need things that are inexpensive, since im just starting up and its nly part time, and i also need t find tols i can use remotely such as anti-virus scanning and spyware scanning and any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated!!! :)

TechPro
04-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Hello

here is a free solution that I found a while ago:

http://lifehacker.com/software/vnc/g...ick-198532.php

Or there is logmein

https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp

they offer remote access services and programs but they cost.

The best way to gather information if you are offering remote support and are not using remote control software would be to write scripts to gather info and tell the customer to run them and send you the output. Batch files would prob be best.

Hope that helps out a bit.

:)

Mac
04-11-2007, 04:28 PM
One word. Dameware
You will find a whole range of RATs if you google. Most are detected as trojans but if you can get source you can fix that. You could just pack and crypt your server file so that AV's dont reconize the byte signitures. In any case most RATs use FWB which usually involves injecting code into a trusted process like the windows shell for example. Im not sure thats something you want to do to your customers comuters.
Also try sourcefore. Lots of free remote administration tools there.
For ease of use and functionality Dameware mini remote is by far the best.
I used a moded RAT with matrix chat. My few loyal cutomers love how they can chat to me while i work :D

MrMille
04-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Is Damware really that good?

I think logmein is very clever, but the free version requires that I go to the customer site and set it up on their machine (as they aren't usually very good with computers)

I like the free version, as the montly sub is like 100 bucks.

Does the customer have to do anything to get dame work? apart from click on a link and click "yes/next" a lot?

Blues
04-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I use Damware at work and it is a nice app I think for most people VNC is suitable its just how much will you really be using it. I will make note Windows Firewall does block it which is not a bad thing as chances are you are on the phone or can call them to have them disable it for the time being. I have not used it but once outside of our office network and VPN terminals so Im not sure how good it is with out being on the same domain and all.

MrMille
05-01-2007, 12:22 PM
I could be wrong, I frequently am,
but all of the existing remote access solutions
involve somebody, i.e. you or your customer
fiddlying around with his/her router settings.

LogMeIn is the only solution that is really a single click away.

Alden
05-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Log me in (free) is great for personal use, but I tired quickly of having to take 5-10 minutes walking through a customer through installing it. Then I had to keep track of their login's and two passwords.

I started using VNC and now it's not only branding my company's logo, it takes two mouse clicks and I'm in. I wish I would have found it sooner!

MrMille
05-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Cool.

Could you tell me more about how you use VNC and how you branded it too.

Does it go through firewalls like a hot knife through butter, like LogMeIn?

TechPro
05-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Cool.

Could you tell me more about how you use VNC and how you branded it too.

Does it go through firewalls like a hot knife through butter, like LogMeIn?

See the lifehacker link below, they make it soo easy!

Hello

here is a free solution that I found a while ago:

http://lifehacker.com/software/vnc/g...ick-198532.php

Or there is logmein

https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp

they offer remote access services and programs but they cost.

The best way to gather information if you are offering remote support and are not using remote control software would be to write scripts to gather info and tell the customer to run them and send you the output. Batch files would prob be best.

Hope that helps out a bit.

hackaman
05-17-2007, 06:06 PM
I have been playing with some of the solutions listed above, but the one that intrigues me the most is copilot. It is NOT free, but it seems to be the easiest when you need to connect to someone who has never heard of port forwarding. You just give them a number and they surf to the copilot website and enter that number and the two computers are connected. Can't be any easier as far as getting connected, but it does seem a bit expensive. I would be happy to pay if the service is any good, but I am hesitant to pay a monthly fee. I guess to make a long story short... Does anyone know if this service is worth it, as I have only tried it?

Thanks

Mac
06-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Is Damware really that good?

Yeah mate it is. All I need is their ip address and I am in. Usually the administrator password is blank (which explains why they require my services) so most of the time I don’t even ask for it. Then while I work (My sales hat goes on) I explain that any hacker could get in just as easy as I did. :eek:
I had checked out log me in a while back and log me in is still nice. But I suspect they are like drug dealers. Yeah it’s all good now, get ya hooked then jack up the price. Tell me you can’t see it coming lol.
I don’t have much trouble with routers & port forwarding.
Most of my clients know and trust my ability so they don’t mind downloading my software. Well I didn’t write the code but I edited it. Its reverse connecting (they connect to me) with FWB so firewalls are no problem at all. Its pretty secure (ARC4) I can see full system info at a glance, browse network drives, up & download, search, edit registry, password list, manage processes & services, active ports, analyze packets, remote shell, chat etc etc. Sometimes I use it but most of the time I just connect with dameware.
Edit: Dameware also supports reverse connections ;)

greggh
06-15-2007, 08:02 AM
We use Hands Free Network, http://www.handsfreenetworks.com/main.htm, It gives you a complete inventory of all your clients pcs, it also gives you the ability to remote control. Some of the best things it does are simple cleanup. It will make sure whatever anti-virus is installed is actually working. It runs scheduled scans, udpates the virus defs when the software itself hasnt. It also runs a defrag and a disk cleanup when needed (when the system is idle.)

It has a decent web interface to everything and is pretty cheap. A few bucks per pc you have installed as a client. Install on the client end can be done by you onsite or you can email them a link to an installer which will only ask a couple questions (which you can answer with them over the phone.)

I dont get anything out of telling you about them, just saying for the price it works out really good.

MrMille
06-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I suspect several people on this thread are commending RAS's that they
A/Haven't tried
B/Have tried, but not outside one LAN
c/Have tried, and on more than one LAN, but without NAT'ing.

greggh
06-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Luckily the one I use is a full remote management/monitoring/support system. It doesnt care if both sides are nat'd. It uses an intermediary server (VNC repeating) to handle that problem if it exists.

MrMille
06-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Is handsfree based upon VNC and a repeater they manage?

Do they have repeaters in Europe or are they all in America?

greggh
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
The remote desktop part is based on the UltraVNC codebase. They actually give you the install discs and you setup your own server. It is called the ASI server (thats just their name for it.) So you actually run the server locally. You dont actually have to do anything to it. All OS and software updates to their software is done remotely by them. Its based on CentOS (red hat) Linux. So you just have to work out your own firewall issues (which every one of us here should be able to do.)

MrMille
06-15-2007, 01:11 PM
I just tried crossLoop and remotely controlled a machine in Berlin.

It was horribly slow, and the session ended abruptly after exactly 6mins and 30 seconds.

Is that intentional? shareware?

breadtrk
06-30-2007, 09:11 AM
I use the paid version of sysaid at work and the free version for my personal customers. All they need do is click one icon and it brings up a page with a few quick questions for them about the problem. If I'm at the PC I can respond instantly and it also semd me a SMS to my phone and an Email to me.

breadtrk
06-30-2007, 09:13 AM
I use the paid version of sysaid at work and the free version for my personal customers. All they need do is click one icon and it brings up a page with a few quick questions for them about the problem. If I'm at the PC I can respond instantly and it also semd me a SMS to my phone and an Email to me.

The Sysaid remote works great, the remote feature of Spiceworks is just out of beta in the new release but I have no experience with it.

My network Admins use the full Dameware Utilities suite and swear by them.

I'm not affiliated with any of the above by the way.

breadtrk
06-30-2007, 09:24 AM
I also want to add that Dameware remote has an option to turn off the service when you disconnect and an option to set the service startup as manual so the client has no extra stuff running in the background when not needed.

Even the ungeekiest client can be talked thru an ipconfig to get the connect IP.

breadtrk
07-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Check this out, might be some help in deciding.

http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=301766&tag=nl.e138

cis4smack
08-12-2007, 04:56 AM
See the lifehacker link below, they make it soo easy!

I like the singleclick vnc as I have used it before in trying to assist a friend with a problem. I think logmein is pretty good as it does ont require port forwarding on the users or techs end, but the price is just too high for me.

cmonova
08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I use logmein but the free version for certain people. But, for daily usage to do any remote work I use a program called DualDesk .It is a one time fee software but is great and very easy for a customer to connect to you.

AnotherTechGuy
08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey guys LogmeIn is great stuff, Dameware is also, But for me I have been useing Crossloop it is free I just get the customer info for billing and in the proccess of doing PayPal payments this small tool works great for my on the side clients and for starting out my customer base.....

jsmith773
08-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Did you have problems with setting up VNC because I created the neccessary file and enabled port forwarding on my router I also uploaded the file to the website to make the program for the client computer. and I could not get it to work. It says connecting to server... ...Could not connect to server... and never connects

AnotherTechGuy
08-24-2007, 03:37 AM
I use it for customers can install it on the system and issue me the 12 digit code from there system and click on connect and answer that they wish me access to there system
All I had to do was like the website says download and install

Holzster
09-19-2007, 06:26 AM
I use 4remotesupport.com - $250.00 per year - works like logmein. I can reboot the machine in safe mode & it will reconect to my PC!! I can have multiple sessions open at once - while one machine is running a scan & can work on another one!

cmonova
10-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I just recently started using the Crossloop and it seems to be working very well. So Now I run DualDesk (my main one) and Logmein and crossloop. For setup and ease crossloop is great.

tartis
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
If you offer remote service for new customers, how do you bill them? Do you get a payment before doing the work?

greggh
11-20-2007, 05:12 PM
You take their credit card up front, do the work, and charge the card afterword.

shortcircuitcomputer
11-20-2007, 07:39 PM
I'll tell you what the best solution to this is.....

Get UltraVNC and let me explain why.

With UltraVnc's "Single Click" add on you will be golden. The problem with most VNC's is that you need to have your customer open up ports on the router and firewalls. With Single Click , that does not have to be done on the client side. Secondly , you don't want to have to walk your customers through installing a program (like cross loop), its just a pain. With Single Click , you can make a CUSTOM .exe (Can fully customize the look and feel with your logo or w/e you want) that will AUTOMATICALLY install itself without the customer having to do anything , and remove itself from there PC when you disconnect.

All you would have to do is customize your SingleClick , and put it on your website. When you need to do a remote session , direct the user to your website to download it (usually a small file , the one I use with my company is 200kb). They just hit the connect button in the program , and your connected.

Best part , its Absolutely free, so go try it out!!!

tartis
11-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I'll tell you what the best solution to this is.....

Get UltraVNC and let me explain why.

With UltraVnc's "Single Click" add on you will be golden. The problem with most VNC's is that you need to have your customer open up ports on the router and firewalls. With Single Click , that does not have to be done on the client side. Secondly , you don't want to have to walk your customers through installing a program (like cross loop), its just a pain. With Single Click , you can make a CUSTOM .exe (Can fully customize the look and feel with your logo or w/e you want) that will AUTOMATICALLY install itself without the customer having to do anything , and remove itself from there PC when you disconnect.

All you would have to do is customize your SingleClick , and put it on your website. When you need to do a remote session , direct the user to your website to download it (usually a small file , the one I use with my company is 200kb). They just hit the connect button in the program , and your connected.

Best part , its Absolutely free, so go try it out!!!

What are you using for an IP address when you configure UltraVNC SC? I am sure that most techs are behind a router and using Network Address Translation.

MrMille
11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Did you have problems with setting up VNC because I created the neccessary file and enabled port forwarding on my router I also uploaded the file to the website to make the program for the client computer. and I could not get it to work. It says connecting to server... ...Could not connect to server... and never connects

Same problems here, it's too difficult to setup.

JohnR
11-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I am sure that most techs are behind a router and using Network Address Translation.

Probably, but it's also probably a *static* IP address. So you configure your IP or, better yet, your domain name, into the executable that you're sending the client.

You're running the server already, with your ports set up correctly to let them in. They're just running a completely preconfigured client app.

(Note: I don't use UltraVNC. That's just the best way to make it work, and the easiest, so I'm assuming that's how they do it.)

Holzster
11-22-2007, 12:32 AM
I did the single click for over a year - I was tired of changing the exe file all the time weather i was at home, work, vacation (yes I have to work on most vacations).
4remotesupport.com is 225/year well worth the time it saves me in the long run.

Holzster

JohnR
11-22-2007, 12:44 AM
I was tired of changing the exe file all the time weather i was at home, work, vacation (yes I have to work on most vacations).

Dude. That's why they invented VPNs.

VPN to your work network, single-click into the "at work" machine that happens to be your laptop whereever you are currently.

Holzster
11-22-2007, 12:58 AM
i used to tunnel from one machine to another to get to my remote stuff but to many places (hotels etc.) block some proticals this way no matter where onthe internet I am I log on & can work!

JohnR
11-22-2007, 01:05 AM
So run your VPN over port 80. Or 443.

You'd have to be smarter than any hotel sysadmin I've ever run into to prevent an SSL VPN over 443 without also pissing off all the business customers who want their https webmail.

I mean, it's possible. It's also bad customer service AND going to piss off people who are the type to hold grudges against your chain and not do business with you again.

tartis
11-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I have been trying Crossloop for the past few days and it works great. A very easy install for a remote customer. You can talk them over the phone in about 30 seconds.

JJsMom
11-22-2007, 03:18 PM
I have been very interested in Remote Support. I downloaded CrossLoop and VNC. Even looking at some of the information online, it is very difficult for me to get either of these to work. Can someone point me in the right directions for Step-by-Step instructions that can get me up and running. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving for those that celibrate it.

greggh
11-22-2007, 05:24 PM
So run your VPN over port 80. Or 443.

You'd have to be smarter than any hotel sysadmin I've ever run into to prevent an SSL VPN over 443 without also pissing off all the business customers who want their https webmail.

I mean, it's possible. It's also bad customer service AND going to piss off people who are the type to hold grudges against your chain and not do business with you again.

JohnR is correct. I have an SSL VPN running on 443 at home, and the same at work. I have 2 SSL enabled websites running from work too, but I have them moved off to a non-standard port so the VPN doesnt interfere.

XT18
11-26-2007, 08:02 PM
I use to play around with a web based vnc server (http://vncj.com/default.aspx) to help out some friends with their computers its written in java so you would just tell someone to visit the page and the server would be running on their computer and you can just connect to them with whatever vnc client, only downside is that its not reverse so the routers will block it. Here is also a tutorial on how to set up free reverse vnc connection http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/04/05/free-and-easy-remote-access-with-vnc-reverse-connections/ Or you can always get a cracked copy of Symantec PC Anywhere 12 :P

ninjaman001
11-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but has anyone tried Crossloop? I've used it a couple of times and it seems to work ok. It works behind routers with out any configuration. A small exe that I email to a client, he installs and in 5 minutes or less, I'm in.

MrMille
12-07-2007, 12:13 AM
I tried crossloop, it's good, but logmein is the best, but due to password management issues I've stopped using logmein.

gadz00ks1
12-10-2007, 06:15 AM
I use 4remotesupport.com - $250.00 per year - works like logmein. I can reboot the machine in safe mode & it will reconect to my PC!! I can have multiple sessions open at once - while one machine is running a scan & can work on another one!

This statement makes this worth researching.

steelaz
12-13-2007, 07:45 PM
This statement makes this worth researching.

Also it looks like they lowered price to $225 a year.

Holzster
12-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Yea it is 225/ Year I put down 250 by mistake.

I still use it 3-4 times per week.

Holzster

chumby
12-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Just started using Logmein Rescue, a little expensive $1069 for a year, but the easiest remote app out there. It is also customizable for your company.

MrMille
12-28-2007, 11:21 AM
pricey for lone wolf outfits

cmonova
12-28-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm still using DualDesk and it's only a one time fee. Plus, you get updates forever. Can reboot and reconnect. Can boot into safe mode, etc.
Can't see paying the monthly or yearly fee on any of the others.

Checkmate
02-16-2008, 03:58 PM
@ cmonova Does DualDesk offer branding? I'm looking at setting up something like this with my pcs that I build. So would be interested in knowing if I could brand with my logo, put an icon on the desktop for the EU.

cmonova
02-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Yes you can get branding. All Icons can have your name or logo on it.

Crgky127
02-17-2008, 05:18 AM
PCHelpWare is pretty good. Branding, repeater, and easy enough for my cousin who doesn't know what a router is.

I was thinking of writing a command line remote control program for those slow connections, but with the amount of people getting DSL/Cable nowadays, do you guys think it's worthwhile?

gadz00ks1
03-12-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm still using DualDesk and it's only a one time fee. Plus, you get updates forever. Can reboot and reconnect. Can boot into safe mode, etc.
Can't see paying the monthly or yearly fee on any of the others.

Hi, whats the cost of Dual Desk?

cmonova
03-12-2008, 10:48 AM
this is the pricing page http://dualdesk.com/pricing/index.html
it all depends on exactly what you need it to do. Typically the Lite or Expert edition will do everything you need.

Tech-Dude
03-18-2008, 04:12 PM
What about Cross-Loop.

It's free and all your customer has to do is download and run.

MrMille
03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Cross Loop is useful, but it has to go through someone elses server, and it doesn't support reverse connection, which is useful is the line is dropped or you have to reboot. You end up waiting for the customer to accept the connection which feels like an eternity.

Ideally, a remote access solution would not involve the client.

jamesbhp
03-19-2008, 11:53 PM
If it is a computer you know you will be going back in and out of frequently, or if you need to do extensive work and afraid of getting drop connection with crossloop; you can log initially with crossloop and then add the pc to your logmein account. Not the optimal solution, but I ran into a few techs that like using this method.

MrMille
03-20-2008, 11:15 AM
not optimal, but quite clever

Combined with Roboform to manage the passwords, it's workable.

TechnoKelvin
04-16-2008, 04:23 AM
Surprised no one mentioned GoToMeeting. I had to use it when I needed help with my hosting site. They configured a port for me using this tool and it was easy to set up and use.

I'm not sure how it is though from the other end, the person actually paying for it.

cmonova
04-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I saw pricing for GoToMeeting before and I think for some reason it was like $100 a month or something like that. Not positive.

I own a Bomgar for remote support and it comes with a built in WebEx function for 25 users. So it is sort of dual purpose.

TechnoKelvin
04-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Ouch, yeah. It was a good tool but I just looked at the prices. It's good for big companies but not little guys like us.

generalj
04-16-2008, 09:26 PM
So I just customized a VNC Single Click. IT took about 5 mins and seems to be exactly what I need.

The file is small and the customer just clicks and it connects to your computer.

I don't know why anyone would want to pay for something when this is free, offers branding, offers encryption and it very very easy for a customer to use.

The only downfall I can see if I wanted to remote from outside of my place and but like stated previously I can always vpn to do that.

BTW what do you guys think is a good charging structure for customers to use this service?

Holzster
04-17-2008, 12:30 AM
I cut 15% on all remote services - I advertise that also. I get 2-3 remotes done a week at night while I watch a baseball game!!

These are the "my computer is infected I need ......" calls

Like I stated before I use www.4remotesupport.com works GREAT I used to do Single click but I hated changing the exe file everything I was at a different IP address. At $225.00 per year an inexpensive tool for me.

Crgky127
04-17-2008, 05:24 AM
I'm not positive if I remember correctly, but I think on PCHelpware/VNC-SC you can use a repeater with a non IP dependent username.

I think a percentage of onsite minus travel costs plus remote software costs (if any) makes the most sense.

cmonova
04-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Ouch, yeah. It was a good tool but I just looked at the prices. It's good for big companies but not little guys like us.

;) I'm a little guy also....

If you look at price you always have to look at the long run of things. And if you go by "free" versus "pay" typically "pay" is going to win out.

If you do one or two remotes a week/month etc then probably free is great. If you do alot of them or if you use them for businesses you have then free will not cut it for what we do.

TechnoKelvin
04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
;) I'm a little guy also....

If you look at price you always have to look at the long run of things. And if you go by "free" versus "pay" typically "pay" is going to win out.

If you do one or two remotes a week/month etc then probably free is great. If you do alot of them or if you use them for businesses you have then free will not cut it for what we do.

Agreed 100%.

I'm just starting out so i'll stick with Crossloop but if the remote support portion of my business gets bigger I'll pay for one of the services mentioned in this thread.