PDA

View Full Version : PC willnot shut down

esoxjohn
04-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Whrn I try to shut down, it will restart as though I hit the restart icon. Whats the fix?

TechPro
04-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi

What O/S are you running? XP, 2000.....?

Have you changed any hardware recently or done any updates?

It could be that when a shutdown is attempted the computer is encountering a serious error and XPs(if you are running xp) default reaction to this is to reboot.

Could you check to see if this option is enabled, then disable it by doing this:

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

Then go to shutdown and see if you get a Blue Screen with an error message. Note everything down and post back.

Hope that helps.

:)

esoxjohn
04-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Followed instructions.No blue screen, nothing different.,....

Jura
04-04-2007, 03:47 AM
If you can provide information that TechPro asked, he could help you better. ^^

TechPro
04-04-2007, 04:22 AM
Hello

These two websites may help you out

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311806

but to provide further help could you please provide some more information:

What O/S are you running? XP, 2000.....?

Have you changed any hardware recently or done any updates?

Thanks

:)

esoxjohn
04-04-2007, 05:13 AM
I am running windows XP. I think the problem started after upgrading to IE7. Also added Norton.

TechPro
04-04-2007, 09:52 AM
do a sfc/scannow at the run promt to see if any system files are corrupt.

Follow this:

NOTE you will need a windows xp CD.

1). Insert Microsoft Window CD or OS system CD into CD drive, once window open-close the window.
2). Click Start.
3). Click Run.
4).In Run-type in sfc/scannow, press enter or click OK.
5).Window system file protection window appears(please do not perform any other task at this time), the application will automatically replace any WindowXP file(s) that is missing or corrupted. When prompted to replace a file, proceed to check yes to replace the file.
6). When System File Checker application finish scanning WindowXP system files, the window will automatically close.

Let us know how you get on then we can carry on troubleshooting if the problem still occurs.