PDA

View Full Version : A Remote Support Software Survey

TimeCode
08-13-2009, 03:12 AM
How many people/companies here have actually made the jump to pay for their remote support software? Please note, this survey is for paid software only.

What product was it?
Have you gotten your money back from it?
What are your compliments or gripes about that software?

And to answer my own questions:

SimpleHelp
Not yet but I just bought it a few days ago.
The price is great. I like the customizations that I can make to it. Screen recording capabilities would be nice.

greggh
08-13-2009, 03:30 AM
1. LogMeInRescue
2. 100 times over at least.
3. No gripes. Compliments of course are many, but if I had to say one thing it would be remote reboot into safe mode and auto-reconnecting back to me.

@ncient geek
08-13-2009, 10:04 AM
1) NTR and LogMeIn for occasional assistance
2) XP Access or Terminal services for maintenance

cmonova
08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
1. Bomgar
2. Many times over
3. Actually none. Does screen recording, safe mode auto reboot, etc.

1. DualDesk
2. Many times over
3. Initial config is a bit confusing, but a simple phone call resolves it

cmonova
08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Good chart that shows a comparison of products:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

RemoteGeek
08-13-2009, 02:57 PM
1. LogMeInRescue
2. 100 times over at least.
3. No gripes. Compliments of course are many, but if I had to say one thing it would be remote reboot into safe mode and auto-reconnecting back to me.

I second the motion on this one.

Logmein is awesome.

TimeCode
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Absolutely!! .....and then some too. It's free software.

Ummm, you didn't read the original post did you? :rolleyes:

Davis Computer Services
08-14-2009, 02:05 AM
I missed the part about paying for software, which is something I avidly avoid if at all possible. There is a ton of free software available. CopyLeft, not Copyright :)

Yeah I hate paying people for their work too.

Thats why I contract all of my jobs to the $10/hour guy on craiglist. Why pay more. They are all the same.

TimeCode
08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Also... I find it odd how you equate a monetary value of software with the usefaulness and value of a software package - just because it is free or commercial by nature. Likewise, you assume that someone who is paid less, knows less than someone who is paid more. Both of these are logical fallacies.

So is thinking that something is a better deal, just because its free and something else costs $. If people want to give their product away for free, that's fine and I applaud it. If people want to charge for what they create, I applaud that as well.

In my mind, the premier issue isn't price but value. Features, usability and appearance are extremely important not only in products but also in tools. Therefore, I research and test to the best of my ability, then I get the product that best fits my needs for the best price.

The purpose of this thread wasn't to start a paid vs. free discussion so please take that elsewhere. What I wanted was to find out what other like-minded people (who were willing to pay for software) thought of their respective products. The comparison of free remote support tools have been beaten to death in these forums.

Thank you!

Davis Computer Services
08-14-2009, 05:32 PM
You are seriously upset over the fact that I prefer to use free software vs commercial software?

Really?

Why does that offend you so much?

Use what works for you, and I will do the same.

Also... I find it odd how you equate a monetary value of software with the usefaulness and value of a software package - just because it is free or commercial by nature. Likewise, you assume that someone who is paid less, knows less than someone who is paid more. Both of these are logical fallacies.

I'm not upset about it, I just think it is rude to interject into a thread that is clearly about paid versions of software.

I love open source software, and it holds a great place in my heart. My brother is a developer on many open source programs including Apache, Foobar and many many more.

However, I try to look at all software available and choose whatever works best for me weather it is open or closed source.

You seem to have a holier than thou attitude that you pride yourself on using only open source software. It is like the 14 year old kid that just found out about Linux and goes around saying it is so much better because it is free and he doesn't have to pay money to Bill Gates.

TimeCode clearly stated that it was a survey for paid software only. I also use UltraVNC SC, but was polite enough to refrain from commenting.

TimeCode
08-14-2009, 08:39 PM
it is free and he doesn't have to pay money to Bill Gates.

Admittedly, both are great features. :D

TimeCode
08-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Ok, this thread has gotten out of hand. I wanted opinions, not a contest to see who can outwit the other with meaningless talk. Let's end the bickering now.

The next inflammatory post will be flagged.

Ron, at the end of your quotes, if you end with [/QUOTE] instead of [QUOTE], it will actually show them as quotes.

rsavoia
08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the link, Dan. It's a good list, although there are a few products not included, such as Remote Support System (RSS), Crossloop and GoToAssist. RSS is a customized remote support application based on VNC and includes features such as branding in the client application and automatic billing to customers at the end of the session. It is a bit pricey in my opinion but it is a flat one time license fee.

GoToAssist, which I currently use and for full disclosure currently advertises on The Force Field podcast is more full featured than GoToMyPC, which is also from Citrix. While GoToMyPC is listed as a remote support application, it is designed more for remote access to the customer's own desktop rather than a complete remote support solution. Like GoToMyPC, GoToAssist has a monthly fee.

Crossloop is aimed at remote support techs as well and should be on the list. My only issues with Crossloop - and they are serious issues - are the instability of the remote connections and the fact that you can't auto reconnect or reboot in Safe Mode, which is often critical when doing remote support. Both RSS and GoToAssist will do it as well as a lot of remote support apps currently on the list. While you can use Crossloop free, it is really designed to be used as a tool for techs who contract to perform remote services for customers through the Crossloop web site and billed through Crossloop for a cut of the revenue. So, while it's generally free, If you are a Crossloop helper, it isn't.

I consider the ability to perform unassisted reboots and reboots into and out of Safe Mode very important features in remote support software. Ease of connection by the customer is also important.