PDA

View Full Version : Using 2 wireless routers and 2 antenna boosters

batemantech
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Ok maybe I am missing something as to why the quote is so cheap. My church came to me because they want to link their preschool to the church office. Now the preschool is in the church which was built in 1890s and made of thick stone. The office is about 1/4 block away. They gave me a quote some guy gave the for 2 Linksys wireless routers WRT54G and 2 7dbi high gain antennas and quoted 233.00 bucks for equipment and setup. Now I am no networking genie but is that even possible and still have quality network connection. Wouldnt there have to be outside antennas ran to make connection. Any thoughts.

angry_geek
08-05-2009, 06:50 PM
That sounds like a pizza tech quote to me. I would imagine the guy didn't even do a site survey. I would set up a router in one location, then go inside the other. I'm betting you will get little to no signal. The ideal setup in that situation would be two directional antennas up high pointing at each other connected to access points inside. To get quality equipment, even on the lower end, you'd be looking at around $400 to $500. Remember you have to have cable, grounding equipment etc. Without evaluating the situation, I would say that should be about an $800 job or so. Make sure to let them know that you get what you pay for. If it wasn't a church, I would shoot for around $1,000 to $1,200.

batemantech
08-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah I have been checking around and the only thing close to what he is quoting that I found is using the 2 routers as bridges, which he is doing and then adding the antennas on them, but these are in home environments. I found where a business was doing it but they still put outside antennas up. Yeah I am going to tell them exactly what you said about getting what they pay for.

thecoldone06
08-05-2009, 07:13 PM
That sounds like a pizza tech quote to me. I would imagine the guy didn't even do a site survey. I would set up a router in one location, then go inside the other. I'm betting you will get little to no signal. The ideal setup in that situation would be two directional antennas up high pointing at each other connected to access points inside. To get quality equipment, even on the lower end, you'd be looking at around $400 to $500. Remember you have to have cable, grounding equipment etc. Without evaluating the situation, I would say that should be about an $800 job or so. Make sure to let them know that you get what you pay for. If it wasn't a church, I would shoot for around $1,000 to $1,200.

x2. Exactly what I was thinking.

batemantech
08-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah I kinda feel bad cause they are my church but then again I dont want to be in a situation where they are blaming me for putting crappy equipment in just to try and compete with this guy and it does not work. I will advise them of their options and go from their. Oh yeah and the guy didnt quote any service fees it was just for the equipment and his charge for equipment markup. Must think it will be a 5 minute job. Thanks for the help.

Cue
08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Beware of using 2,4 ghz as a bridge (link), congestion on the 2,4 band will just get worse.

I would use this for the link, its 5ghz so that will lessen any security concerns as well.
http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-165/Ubiquiti-NanoStation5-NS5-CPE/Detail.bok

This is a simple CAT5 cable installation, no coax.
BTW, how far is 1/4 of a block?

batemantech
08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Not sure just was estimating. I may be off. I just know that the church and the office building behind it are about are actually a block total. The buildings are seperated by an alley way.

Cue
08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm from Iceland, I have no idea how long a block is :)