PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect XP to shared Vista printer

stevenamills
08-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I've run into this before and maybe someone else has. A third round of research seemed to reveal the answer.

When adding the printer in XP, add a local printer and set the port to \\vistaname\printername. Has worked every time in my small test sample. Even the wretched Windows update option found the needed driver, although loading the driver before installation seems quicker.

Thought it might help someone else.

seedubya
09-04-2009, 09:57 AM
There are lot of problems when using two different Windows on same network so I will suggest you to try installing XP.

Dude, if that's what you're telling your customers they need a new technician. This is a myth that has been doing the rounds since people were trying to network Win95 with WFWG 3.11. Almost every business network I work on has Vista on at least a few of the PCs and some of them even have a couple of systems running Windows 98. Guess what? They all talk to each other. You need some more networking experience.

iptech
09-04-2009, 12:45 PM
There are lot of problems when using two different Windows on same network so I will suggest you to try installing XP.
I hope you don't charge for advice like this?

NickCat11
09-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Looks like you need to go back to the drawing board...

Sn@Ke
09-14-2009, 05:56 AM
I've run into this before and maybe someone else has. A third round of research seemed to reveal the answer.

When adding the printer in XP, add a local printer and set the port to \\vistaname\printername. Has worked every time in my small test sample. Even the wretched Windows update option found the needed driver, although loading the driver before installation seems quicker.

Thought it might help someone else.

Works the same way with a network printer, tell it that it's a local machine and then enter the printer IP as the path

geekhelp4u
09-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Also - if the printer is attached to the Vista machine - you need to change the workgroup name on the XP machine - as XP and Vista use two different default workgroups. Additionally - on the Vista machine you need to turn file and print sharing on and either unpassword protect the share or connect using a password from the XP machine during setup.

JRDtechnet
09-15-2009, 01:45 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120 see if that helps.

coco3_man
10-02-2009, 04:46 AM
If all the network parameters are setup correctly, check and see if the "IRPStackSize" key exists in the registry. Just had an issue 2 weeks ago where adding this to the 3 XP machines and the 1 Vista machine got them talking again.

Create a blank .xt file, copy and paste the below info into it, save, rename with .reg ifdoes not exist. If it causes problems, remove it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters]
"IRPStackSize"=dword:00000015

Tom

ps for some reason, when I post this "Services" in the key becomes "Servic es", take the space out when you copy and paste in the text file

Tweak
10-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Funny stuff, have networked printers across networks both ways in the same office at different times...once just a few days ago when one printer went down and is being replaced once the new arrives, this gets them back running till that time, you guys actually made me laugh out loud when stating they need a new tech.:D

gunslinger
10-02-2009, 02:16 PM

I agree, if upgrading them all to Windows 7 is not an option. Vista's networking has sucked from day one and it has never played well with an XP network.