PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your running spyware/virus removal

certifiedtek
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi,

When your at a customers site running these programs, what do you do while you wait: The customers want me to work on other things but I thought your not suppose to be running other programs moving files etc. while these programs are running because it might miss malware/virus?

thanks,Jeff

tkrabec
03-21-2007, 12:10 PM
What I do depends on the speed of the machine. If it is a fast machine I will check things by hand, or ask the user if they have any questions about their computer or computers in general. If their machine is slow I generally talk to them about upgrades, idle chat about pictures and stuff I see in their room, or I sit quietly waiting for the computer to finish. I'm going to start to bring a TECH RELATED BOOK, a white paper, etc., no fiction books, to the site.

TechPro
03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
You could put on your sales hat and talk about pc upgrades hardware/software, if they own a business and require computer services.

I only tend to run one app at a time on a pc especially when checking for nastys - viruses spyware etc.

Bryce W
03-23-2007, 01:50 AM
When doing virus scans I usually check out the other places that viruses do damage with Hijack This! such as changing their internet browsers name servers and dropping adware/spyware into it. Look at their startup list using MSConfig and uncheck any entries the virus put there.

Like tkrabec, If they are sitting around I talk to them about whatever I see in the room or get them to ask me computer questions.

If they arent in the room and I have already checked other places for viruses and other nasties, I play Solitaire on my PDA. :)

MrMille
04-14-2007, 03:36 PM
I run SyncToy on various folders.

Blues
04-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Few machines I work on are capable of running AV and Spyware Removal tools while doing much else. I will check simple things like Bryce mentioned homepages and such. I will also use this time to answer some of the questions they have been trying to get answers to during the times you have trouble giving them attention. I often explain what to do to help prevent these cases in the future.

greggh
06-15-2007, 07:14 AM
TechPro hit it right on the money. Put on your sales hat. Never think of your customers as just something to extract as much money as you can from. But you can use that time to make some money. A lot of the customers I have dealt with don't ask me many questions because they don't think I want to answer them. That is of course wrong. If I am given the opportunity (like during scans) I will ask them what they generaly use the computer for, are there any more computers in their house/work they need looked at, do they have children that play games, do they have any questions about anything geeky at all? Usually they will have questions. Many of those questions will lead to a parts sale and possibly a return visit (the real goal.) Its not about up-selling the crap out of your customers either. You are honestly trying to offer the best possible service you can while you are there. You can think of it like having a plumber over (or any other service tech.) If he was in your house and you were available wouldnt you want to pick his brain about things you could do to improve your overall situation (with whatever talent he might have?)

breadtrk
06-30-2007, 08:19 AM
I always carry big sticks of ram and stick them in so I can do the job as fast as is possible for them.

I can't count the flashing VCR's and such I have taken care of while waiting for scans. I'm pretty handy and have even fixed leaking facuets if the hardware is close.