PDA

View Full Version : Recuva, Restoration. Does it work?

deutschnaftula
07-26-2009, 05:14 PM
A costumer called me that he accidently deleted some files from a USB, by formatting the drive, so I look't at it, I open up 'Recuva' and 'Restoration' but they found nothing,
so I told him maybe there was really nothing on that drive, so I toke out my own USB flash drive 2 gig that had 4 PDF files, and did a format, an tried to recover it with "Recuva" and "Restoration"
Recuva found a file that I deleted about 4 months ago, nothing else!! So my question is,
is this the best that I can find, anybody has a tested program that works? (Free is better)

(I have not tested these programs on a hard drive yet)
I want to call him back,

Kenhelms
07-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Getdataback is a good one.

My favorite for it is Ontrack though.

matt6solutions
07-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I've really enjoyed working with Recuva, and have had lots of success with it.

I read this on lifehacker a while ago, check it out, 5 best recovery tools.

http://lifehacker.com/5237503/five-best-free-data-recovery-tools

deutschnaftula
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
thank you all

Bryce W
07-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I have used Photorec successfully on damaged USB drives and camera media cards:
http://www.technibble.com/repair-tool-of-the-week-photorec/

RevivedCS
07-28-2009, 11:28 PM
I just had a bout with a damaged XD card. Unfortunately for me, Recuva did not work for me. Actually, I think the XD card was too damaged for Recuva to do anything.

I also tried it on a hard drive...I found some ridiculous pics that I never had. I don't know man but I'm off to something else.

MrUnknown
07-29-2009, 08:32 AM
You're telling us that it recovered pictures you never had? I honestly highly doubt that.

I don't use Recuva, but I can't imagine them planting recovered files. Also this would probably be something exposed by now as it would have to be the same image, I am sure some techs on here would notice their clients having the same image for some reason.

deutschnaftula
07-29-2009, 01:09 PM
thank you Bryce i will try Photorec today.

RevivedCS
08-02-2009, 02:36 AM
You're telling us that it recovered pictures you never had? I honestly highly doubt that.

I don't use Recuva, but I can't imagine them planting recovered files. Also this would probably be something exposed by now as it would have to be the same image, I am sure some techs on here would notice their clients having the same image for some reason.

I most certainly am telling you that. I never said anything about them planting any recovered files. Exactly what I said was what I meant. I launched the program and it pulled up a bunch of templates and other pics I had never seen.

MrUnknown
08-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Never seen does not mean never had.

The images had to have come from somewhere.

veedar
08-02-2009, 02:17 PM
In accidental format situations Testdisk may be able to restore the lost partition:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Testdisk is from the same people that created Photorec

Doctor Micro
08-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I most certainly am telling you that. I never said anything about them planting any recovered files. Exactly what I said was what I meant. I launched the program and it pulled up a bunch of templates and other pics I had never seen.

Never seen does not mean never had.

The images had to have come from somewhere.

Was this perhaps an "open box special" or "refurbished" drive? Could explain where those mystery files came from.

rusty.nells
08-02-2009, 07:15 PM

Could have been internet cache or samples from an installed app.

BostonGeek1
08-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Recuva is honestly not that great. Commercial versions such as Ontrack Easy Recovery or R-studio are way better.

MrUnknown
08-03-2009, 07:23 PM
I agree that it isn't that great.

But hey, if it's restoring images that never existed, maybe it really is ahead of the game.