PDA

View Full Version : HP Laser Printer 1320tn

PcTek
03-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Guys, I have a client that wants an hp laser printer set up. Ok. Easy. Now the hard part. It has two trays. He wants forms to print on tray2 and reports on tray1. The printer is connected via usb to a workstation designated work9. Work9 then shares that printer on the network.
The software they use, does not pull up the traditional windows dialogue when you print something so you can select which tray to use, instead, it just prints to a printer added in through their software, with the most basic of setups. Their software will only let you say this printer, or that printer. It won't let you print to hplaserTray1 or hplaserTray2.
So how can I do this? Anybody have any ideas? The basic goal is to have the trays shared on the network. Help guys. :)

Bryce W
03-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Although I dont do alot of business setups. Ive never seen the different trays appear as two different printer options even on the normal Windows printer dialog. It usually shows up as a single printer and when you press print in applications, the Print dialog comes up, click properties and you can choose your tray from there.

Perhaps their 3rd party printing software has a "Properties" like option somewhere for that printer?

Blues
03-10-2007, 10:29 AM
at my work we have an iSeries550 and it is able to do this but I am not entirely sure how they were setup and I don't know if WIndows offers an option for this. I know you can go into printer options when you are printing to specify the tray but I don't know how you could set it up to know when its one type and when its the other.

TechPro
03-10-2007, 02:17 PM
You could setup two logical printers. HP printers have an option to select which tray to print on, the ones I have come across do anyway, 8150s 9040s 4250 4200s etc.

Set one printer up, to print from one tray and another printer using another tray.

I believe the option is paper source or something like that and the default is automatically select. You will have to look around in the setup for the drivers it is in there somewhere.

Sorry I cant be more specific.

Hope that all makes sense.

:)

PcTek
03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
This client has had a multitray printer set up in the past. When I called the long distance company that supports their software, they said, "Install the printer driver twice, make sure it's shared, and use that..." But that didn't work, b/c it's a usb printer.
So... What we are trying to do, is install this hp more than once on the same usb port. In one printer driver only tray one would be allowed, and in the other driver only tray two would be allowed.
I am going to dig on the net for a solution and will post back here if i find it.

TechPro
03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Let us know how you get on.

I find that HP are very helpfull when it comes to configuring and fixing their printers maybe you should give their support line a call.

Good Luck

TomQ
04-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi,

You may want to try this Tech Support Community website, I have used them many times. Just post your question and one of the expert will answer you shortly. You can also contribute by answering other people questions.

Here is the link for the HP Laser Printer 1320 support: fixya.com/support/p378633-hp_laserjet_1320tn_printer

PcTek
05-04-2007, 06:56 AM
I finally figured it out. There are 2 places you have to set the trays for these printers, and ironically it's both in the properties area just under completely separate tabs.
I spent hours talking to hp technical support, and they were just totally lost. I got a department in India, and I told them everything, got passed around for a while, and then they told me back the same thing that I told them, then when I said, "Hey! I just told you that and it didn't work!" They told me it was not possible to do this.
So later I was playing with the settings at my office and found it under the general and advanced tabs, and both had to be set to make it work correctly. There's another place that "looks" like where you'd set it, but it's completely wrong. It's where you select the paper for the trays. Don't go there that's the completely wrong area. People will try to tell you "just set the paper size for the tray... blah blah" That is completely and totally wrong. Just go to properties:general:page setup and properties:advanced . :)