PDA

View Full Version : Geek Squad Charges $415 to replace a harddrive, doesnt retrieve data.

Bryce W
03-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Dodgy. Client gets BSOD, they take 10 days to look at it, say the harddrive is dead and charges heaps for a reinstall. Read on..
http://consumerist.com/consumer/best-buy/geek-squad-charges-415-dollars-to-replace-a-hard-drive-makes-customer-retrieve-data-files-himself-240116.php

Blues
03-01-2007, 07:00 PM
First off I think 7 days before they even touched the thing is rediculous I have never heard of such slow service. When they have given such a delay most places I know offer an option to purchase a priorty service at an extra cost so that it will be looked at quicker. I will say I might not have tried plugging the drive to a Linux box but it works out and food for thought in my future efforts. I would know if the drive was workable to the point it could be re-used it should still be visible to the point you can delete partitions and reformat. I do understand that the recovery fee is non-refundable and that data may not be recovered. I do believe that prior to offering that they should warn that if the drive is not workable then they will have no way to recover it with out added cost. I have never looked into data recovery but I have heard cost ranging from $300 to $1500 for such services. Given that state of it this should have been mentioned that for a higher form of recovery while aviable is incredibly pricy.

On a final note I never have liked them they drive those ugly VW Bugs, mostly the paint job witht he ugly insignia. They wear those incredibly dorky outfits and carry a badge. To me its just a sad attempt to make it seem like a place full of cool dorks. Im ranting here I just hate thier look thier attitude and the fact they are not part of Bestbuy.

TechPro
03-08-2007, 07:42 AM
From what I have heard of them they dont seem to be that great!

415 dollars is a rip off.

Over here in England you can get a new PC or Laptop for 400 pound!

TorontoRepair
03-17-2007, 10:27 PM
But in some sense I have to admit that people are comforted by Brand recognition (well known franchises) and that they are afraid to get ripped off by some unknown computer repair guy!

The funny part is that at the end of the day, they still get ripped off.

pavilion
03-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I think it comes down to one basic thing as far as any technology issue. While it does seem that a lot of people have a fear of learning some basics on computers, there are virtually thousand ways that any layman can get the basic intro into hardware side. I've seen community colleges and some private schools offering introductory courses which can be a stepping stone into higher level of learning and understanding. There are many ebooks which can only assist in further learning. The first step is the hardest. And that $415for their crappy troubleshooting can pay for other things.

gunslinger
07-19-2007, 10:53 PM
This is not a one time thing. It happens everywhere. We have a local shop here that charged one of my new customers $250 for a reinstall. In this same shop i actually overheard one of the "techs" tell a customer that he needed windows reinstalled because the fonts were too small. Almost every customer I have had in the past 4 years has had a bad run in with these types of shops.

rurbaniak
07-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Talk about over priced. Wow. Maybe we're under priced, but wouldn't be $415 thats for sure. This would be our process to this, we do this pretty regularly for walk in customers.

Customer gives us description saying it won't boot, we notice i's having some problems, maybe the dreaded hard drive knocking, and then..

Run Diagnostic on Hard Drive. - This returns as bad, dying hard drive, can't repair.

Now, can we recover files? - Basic recovery of files, advanced is extra.

Replace the hard drive and reload.

We'd end up charging for a walk in person:

$69 - Diagnosis/Rolled into labor if we can fix it.

$69 - Reload of OS (labor)

$xx - Hard Drive

End cost would be $69 (labor) + Hard Drive in this scenerio. Basically you'd get a free diagnosis if we can fix it. Under $200.

Curious to what others are doing??

dracken
07-20-2007, 10:26 AM
That is very similiar to what we charge.

$30 diagnostic fee

$70 Labor

$30 labor goes towards the $70 labor charge if you choose to get it fixed.

$35 charge for data backup over 1 gb, anything under 1gb is included in labor fee

so $70 + cost of part + data backup if needed

Talk about over priced. Wow. Maybe we're under priced, but wouldn't be $415 thats for sure. This would be our process to this, we do this pretty regularly for walk in customers.

Customer gives us description saying it won't boot, we notice i's having some problems, maybe the dreaded hard drive knocking, and then..

Run Diagnostic on Hard Drive. - This returns as bad, dying hard drive, can't repair.

Now, can we recover files? - Basic recovery of files, advanced is extra.

Replace the hard drive and reload.

We'd end up charging for a walk in person:

$69 - Diagnosis/Rolled into labor if we can fix it.

$69 - Reload of OS (labor)

$xx - Hard Drive

End cost would be $69 (labor) + Hard Drive in this scenerio. Basically you'd get a free diagnosis if we can fix it. Under $200.

Curious to what others are doing??

gunslinger
07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
diagnostic fee: $0
Reload of OS: $40
Replace drive: $10
charge for data backup: $20
Total cost: $70 not counting price of hard drive

greggh
07-21-2007, 07:30 AM
You guys are lucky to have low overhead...

$100/hr, $50 visit fee for coming on site. Minimum 1 hour charge. Charges after 1 hour broken up into 15 minute increments of $25.

No flat rates for any services yet. It is something I have been thinking a lot about lately, just havent actually gone forward with anything.

rurbaniak
07-21-2007, 08:53 AM
You guys are lucky to have low overhead...

$100/hr, $50 visit fee for coming on site. Minimum 1 hour charge. Charges after 1 hour broken up into 15 minute increments of $25.

No flat rates for any services yet. It is something I have been thinking a lot about lately, just havent actually gone forward with anything.

What I quoted was for walk in customers. Otherwise were $105/hr, minimum 1 hr, 15 minute increments after, and travel charge.

gunslinger
07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I have almost no overhead, plus at $70 for labor your only looking at maybe 2 hours (depending on the amount of data you have to back up). I also don't charge if I can't fix the problem. This has put me under a few times but i more than make up for it in volume of customers because of it. People get sick of paying $50-$100 an hour only to find out that a problem will cost as much as a new system to fix. They end up with a large bill and a computer shaped paper weight.

greggh
07-24-2007, 05:26 AM
What I quoted was for walk in customers. Otherwise were $105/hr, minimum 1 hr, 15 minute increments after, and travel charge.

That makes more sense to me :)

idiot_savant
07-24-2007, 07:34 PM
in my country you can get your PC fixed for $15....yes...sometimes it's free.....:D that's how cheap labor is here.....:mad:

tauzin23
07-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Drop-off to my office service.
$55/per hour with 2-hr. max. charge. /per computer

On-site service
$55/per hour
out of area - $55/per hour + $55 road service charge

Remote On-line Assistance
$55/per hour with 2-hr. max. charge. /per computer

wizy
08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
wow thats a lot

gunslinger
08-02-2007, 03:28 PM
wow thats a lot

We have bills, what can i say?

Bryce W
08-03-2007, 02:40 AM
wow thats a lot
Who was that in reference to? If it was Geeksquad, id say yes. To anyone else's prices here they are pretty much the norm.

SandTech
10-07-2007, 05:14 AM
You have to remember those squad most of them are not A+ certified, according to employee site, "You lucky if your HR knows what is A+ means"
they all get paid $10-$13/hour.
And they dont charge, there supervisor does.

It's funny how much people will pay for service.

dracken
10-07-2007, 05:58 PM
http://consumerist.com/consumer/videos/sting-op-of-10-different-computer-repair-companies-finds-70-dont-know-what-theyre-doing-306877.php

Interesting video about the various computer repair shops.

gunslinger
10-08-2007, 01:09 AM
The thing is the big shops like best buy and staples don't make their money from fixing computers they make their money by pushing hardware upgrades and norton/mcafee.

dracken
10-08-2007, 04:56 AM
The thing is the big shops like best buy and staples don't make their money from fixing computers they make their money by pushing hardware upgrades and norton/mcafee.

True, as long as they are truthful about it. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new machine. As long as they tell you up front about a minimum charge I don't have a problem with that, even if it is a simple fix.

nonchalant
10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
I did a job recently and was told by the customer she didnt like the last guy she had out as he'd charged her $150. I quoted $125 to take it away, format and reinstall, return, and setup on-site. When I asked what the last guy did for $150 she said "he didnt do anything apart from look at it and tell her she needed to format and reinstall..herself.. :eek:

Oh and she also mentioned the guy was from Geeks are Us or something..(perhaps she meant geek squad?)

cmonova
10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Worse case scenerio if we do a reload we charge $170. That is for the reload, windows updates, virus software, spyware software etc. Plus, we save their data.
And actually we are one of the lowest priced in the area.

tartis
10-28-2007, 05:34 PM
On-Site residential service $75 per hour with a $75 minimum charge. Commercial On-Site $90 per hour with a $90 minimum charge. No time to wait, pickup and drop service for $35 plus labor.

SandTech
10-29-2007, 02:27 AM
On-Site residential service $75 per hour with a $75 minimum charge. Commercial On-Site $90 per hour with a $90 minimum charge. No time to wait, pickup and drop service for $35 plus labor.

You need to set up distance regulation into your pricing.
Specially with a truck like your. 30miles away wont make you much $$

Cybjun
08-19-2010, 02:59 AM
I had a customer in yesterday with this same situation as the guy in this article but $620~ :eek: on a desktop with a failed hard drive. They couldnt get any data, installed a 1tb hard drive to replace a 320gb drive for a grandmother that didnt even own a digital camera or an ipod. She did have lots of documents for a local charity that she volunteers for.

She brought the PC to my shop because a neighbor recommended me to her. All she wanted was to have her email setup in outlook again but she started telling me about this repair. I asked her to bring in her reported failed drive, I didnt even need to use data recovery software to access it got all her data.

After getting all the data she just had me redo all the work that Best buy had done, loaded windows on a new drive I sold her (320gb because that was more then she needed) place all her document back to the original locations, setup her outlook & even restored her wallpaper to boot for less then half what Best Buy charged. I had everything done within 1 day what took best buy 5 days to do. she picked up the computer right before I closed today.

I was actually going over to Best Buy to pickup a movie after I got of work and ran into here in the customer service line. (I was able to help her get a full refund) Its was kinda hard for them to question my repair considering I actually trained the stores service manager back when I worked for BBY. needless to say I have a new customer for life :D

Digital Regenesis
09-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Nothing Geek Squad does (or fails to do) ever surprises me. They are sales people first, techs second.