PDA

View Full Version : NT Hard Drive

NickCat11
07-23-2009, 07:22 PM
I just received an email asking the following question. Do you have the capability to clone a 80mb NT hard drive from my navigation processor?

I have to be honest, I have never heard of either of those things. Obviously I can clone a hard drive but is this something different than a standard IDE or SATA Hard Drive? Thanks in advance.

NickCat11
07-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Unless he is referring to the Windows NT OS. But a navigation processor?

NYJimbo
07-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Make up some bullshit, tell him you have cloned just about everything you have set your hands on but you are not sure what his "navigation processor" is unless he has more specific info.

If he is game, all he has to do is bring the drive or give you the unit to remove the drive. After that you can try to clone it with whatever tools you have, if it fails dont charge him, if it does clone then charge him whatever you would normally do.

In the end you will learn if you fail at it or you will make some cash if you succeed. Just dont format his drive or break it or something. :D

MHCG
07-23-2009, 08:46 PM
By "navigation processor" he's probably referring to some computer that does some navigation function, like maybe a custom "carputer" that does navigation. Irrelevant really, because the OS is WindowsNT, so the file systems will be the same.

NickCat11
07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I just got some more information. It's a GPS chartplotting system for his boat that runs on a Windows NT based Pentium 2 system. He said he removed the drive from his system and slaved it to his computer at home for some reason or another. When he hooked it back up to his GPS it no longer worked. The main program on it didn't autoboot to his GPS system. His friend has the same setup so he wants me to clone his drive which is fine but I am wondering if his friend is going to run into the same problem when his HD is reinstalled.

NYJimbo
07-23-2009, 10:05 PM
"Slaved" it. Gee, I wonder if the genius did something like convert it to another mode. Windows is notorious for spotting a new drive and offering to "fix" its type, especially removing the active bit or whatever they call it.

See if you can get the bad drive and run a partition manager or some other tool to see if its active, boot, primary, etc..

NickCat11
07-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Sounds good. Thanks for the help!

Kenhelms
07-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Something you may want to be wary of as well, These little niche stuff....

Just make sure that you are covered. Lets say this is for a Shipping boat...he winds up lost and trys to blame it on you for lost revenue, etc...

I have had nav units from Aeronautics systems before, and that always made me nervous...

07-24-2009, 04:11 PM
I would say that as long as he's willing to assume the risk of one or both not working after the clone, go for it.

NickCat11
07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I would say that as long as he's willing to assume the risk of one or both not working after the clone, go for it.

Yeah I feel the same way. I'll have him sign a waiver and then proceed with the clone.