PDA

View Full Version : i think its a power problem?

berserker
02-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Hi All,

hoping for some help here. I opened my PC once to replace the DVD drive but thats about the limit of my technical expertise at this point.

last weekend, in 37 degree heat my computer turned itself off. The light on the front of the case remained on but there was no fan noise and there was no picture on the monitor. When i tried to switch it back on it fired up for about 3 or 4 seconds (i had fan noise and picture on monitor) and then the same thing, it switched off but the light remained on.

the next day the computer worked fine for an hour or two and then last night it lasted only 2 minutes before the same thing happened. today its been on all day and worked fine.

Is this the power supply, even though the lights is still on the front? Could this be related to the heat? it appears to work ok on the cooler days.

The computer is about 3 years old now. Its an ASUS A7-N8X-E Deluxe motherboard (i'm pretty sure).

would appreciate any advice you could offer.

thanks
Jake

Bryce W
02-22-2007, 02:12 AM
This sounds like either a heat or power supply issue, or both. Go into your computers BIOs by pressing DELETE at Startup (right at the start). On some brand name computers this may be F1, F2 or F10. There will be an option there somewhere called PCHEALTH. Go into that and look at the current temperature and also take note of the shutdown temperature. Alot of computers have a temperature specified where if the computer gets too hot it will switch itself off to avoid damage. Let it run for a few minutes and see how hot the computer gets.

In the PC Health, look for text that is red as it may alert you to something wrong.

While there, take a look at your Voltages. They should be within .5 of 12Volts, 5Volts and 3.3Volts (eg,12V = 11.7 is fine). If they arent then your power supply is slowly failing.

Pop open the side of your case and boot up the computer, are all the fans spinning? Look at the CPU fan and the power supply fan (may have to look in the back of the computer for this one).

Let us know how you go.

Andy-Always
02-23-2007, 12:32 AM
I think I would like to focus on the temperature first.....
How many cooling fans? Are you running the system with the side case off at the moment??
Look at the processor cooler (heat sink) under the processor fan - is it totally clean or has it clogged up with dust????
Have you moved the system to a warmer part of the building recently?

Let's get these basics out of the way first!!

Andy

berserker
02-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I checked this through today and here's what I found:

The voltages:
Vcore voltage: 1.71 V
the others are:
12.92V, 4.73V and 3.23V. They seem to be ok from what you said although the first one is possibly a bit high.

The Temperatures:
MB temp: moved between 34 and 36 degrees celcius
CPU tem: moved between 52 and 53 degrees celcius

The CPU fan speed was between 4066 and 4166 RPM.
The chasis and power fan registered 0 RPM.

I took off the cover and the CPU fan is certainly spinning.

The power supply fan is also spinning and blowing hot air out the back of the computer. The power supply is an ATX-400W made by HAIRONG. It says on teh power supply that is has thermal overload , cut off protection and short circuit protection. I couldnt see the shutdown temperature in the BIOS.

I havent actually had any problems with the computer since the Melbourne weather cooled down. Can I assume that because of the heat the power supply did its automatic 'cut off protection'? or can you see something more sinister from what I have written above?

thanks again for your assistance.

Jake

berserker
02-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi Andy,

seems I accidently started two threads on the same topic , sorry abnout that.

thanks for your response. No i havent had the cover off recently. (should you do this when the weather/room temperature is really hot or were you asking for the dust issues?) I took it off today and everything appears dust free. There is onlty the 2 fans, one on the CPU and the other in the power supply. See my other thread for the voltage / temperatures taken from the bios if it helps. thanks again for your suggestions.

regards,

Jake

Bryce W
02-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Merged the threads...