PDA

View Full Version : The "Whatever" guy

NYJimbo
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Just got a funny call from a guy with a messed up computer.

He first leaves a message : "Ok, I got a computer that's messed up, whatever, you know it could be anything or something with a virus whatever, I dunno, give me a call back." He leaves his number so I call him:

After my intro it pretty much goes like this:

Me: "So what's wrong with your machine"

Him: "I dunno, its not working, whatever, just started doing it like, whatever yesterday or Friday. Just, like not working and stuff, or whatever".

Me: "Well, can you give me a little bit more specific info, I mean whats wrong or what does it do or not do"

Him: "I dunno, its not working right, whatever, something just keeps doing a blue screen or a black screen, whatever".

Me: "Well you can drop it off tommorow, I will do a quick check and give you an idea what it is, I dont charge for a quick check".

Him: "Ah, tommorow is bad, dont know what I am doing, like whatever.".

Me (Ok, this guy is a tool so I just cut to the chase): "Ok, then what do you want to do"

Him: "I dunno, I will see if I have time to drop by with the machine,whatever."

I tell him the hours we are open and he just hangs up without saying goodbye.

The guy used the word "whatever" at least once in every sentence. Who the hell communicates like this. I really hope he doesnt show up or I am not going to know what the hell I am fixing.

ProTech Support
07-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Interesting post or whatever

Haha, what a tool.

NYJimbo
07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
It's so weird, it was dead all day and then we got 4 repair calls in 30 minutes, this guy was the best. :D

K007
07-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Whatever !!!

ProTech Support
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I had one call the shop while I was on the other line. It was a really important call so I could not switch over. He ended up going to voice mail and said his computer crashed, give me a call back, etc.

About 5 mins. later I call:

Me: So what exactly is going on with your computer?

Him: I work for a big company, if you don't call back quick enough we don't bother. I already bought a new computer online. Goodbye.

NYJimbo
07-15-2009, 08:42 PM
On Monday morning a lady called me and told me that her hard drive failed and she needed data recovery. But she wanted me to come to her house to do the work. I told her we do not do house-calls, but she could drop it off.

She said she herself was at work but her daughter was home with the computer and she really needed me to go to her house NOW to do the data recovery.

I told her she could find plenty of house-call type repair people, I even offered to give her the name of a few.

She almost starts crying and tells me "Nooooo....I don't want someone I dont know, I want youuuuuu..."

I say "But...you don't know me.... I mean you have never used us before either".

She says "I knowwwwww....". Which leaves me even more confused.

I say to her "I am very sorry but we do not do house calls", either she would have to find someone else or I can recommend someone that I know is good.

She gets all whiny and weepy and says "I dont know what I am going to do......" and she just hangs up.

Very weird people....

RevivedCS
07-15-2009, 08:48 PM
This was a funny thread. Take the time to laugh...we all need it in this business!!!

nj_computer_repair
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeh dude, great post! Funny as hell!

ithinkyou5.0
07-16-2009, 09:48 AM
i just hate the people who are like "my computer is being gay" "what is it doing?" "not working" "okay, but what specifically? is there an error message? is it starting?" "yeah its just being gay" "well that narrows it down :/"

Confused
07-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Yea, this is a funny thread. I don't know what it is about computers but people cannot be specific with it. With a car a person can say they have a flat tire or the engine is smoking, but with a computer they cannot distinguish any parts or aspects of the unit at all. Yet, they ask for very detailed answers to questions that they know they won't be able to understand the answers to. People are comical!

MrUnknown
07-16-2009, 01:33 PM
I am still learning how to decypher what a client tells me and what they really wanted me to understand, but those examples don't leave much room to figure out what is going on.

My worse story is a client was telling me that their internet wasn't working eventhough they kept pushing the button (not an exact quote, but along those lines). I could never figure out what button they were talking about on the phone so I set up an appointment. I prepared to diagnose a network problem but when I got there, I found the button. The nice one on the front of the computer. The PSU went out from some sort of surge so the internet button just stopped working.

RevivedCS
07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I am still learning how to decypher what a client tells me and what they really wanted me to understand, but those examples don't leave much room to figure out what is going on.

My worse story is a client was telling me that their internet wasn't working eventhough they kept pushing the button (not an exact quote, but along those lines). I could never figure out what button they were talking about on the phone so I set up an appointment. I prepared to diagnose a network problem but when I got there, I found the button. The nice one on the front of the computer. The PSU went out from some sort of surge so the internet button just stopped working.

Mannnn, I'm telling you, this is the funniest thread I've read in my short career here at the Nibble. I hope you all are laughing with me.

purple_minion
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
On Monday morning a lady called me and told me that her hard drive failed and she needed data recovery. But she wanted me to come to her house to do the work. I told her we do not do house-calls, but she could drop it off.

She said she herself was at work but her daughter was home with the computer and she really needed me to go to her house NOW to do the data recovery.

I told her she could find plenty of house-call type repair people, I even offered to give her the name of a few.

She almost starts crying and tells me "Nooooo....I don't want someone I dont know, I want youuuuuu..."

I say "But...you don't know me.... I mean you have never used us before either".

She says "I knowwwwww....". Which leaves me even more confused.

I say to her "I am very sorry but we do not do house calls", either she would have to find someone else or I can recommend someone that I know is good.

She gets all whiny and weepy and says "I dont know what I am going to do......" and she just hangs up.

Very weird people....

This sounds like my cousin. She had a very, very abusive mother and she is kind of screwed up emotionally. The cat gets sick and she goes to a crying hysterical mess. She is on meds and has had counseling, but sometimes you can't undo the damage. In person, one on one she is very nice, VERY smart, and articulate. However in certain social situations and under stress she sounds EXACTLY like your caller. They simply can't help it.

Not much you can really do if the professionals can't help them, reassure them and do as you said, either refer them or offer to take care of it. It could come back at you in a business sense though, so you may not want them at all. I can only speak of my experiences though, and so others may not be like this.

thebeardedone
07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
It can be a real pain to understand what some people are going on about when they talk about their PC. Calling everything that "thingie" that does something :rolleyes:. Still, good thread :)

NYJimbo
07-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Here's another funny one I almost forgot about: "The Armpit Guy".

A while back I was sitting at my desk in the shop talking to one of my regulars who always comes in and brings me clients.

Suddenly this guy walks in with a laptop. Kinda of a wiry, muscular guy in a muscle t-shirt. He puts the laptop down on the desk and starts to tell me whats wrong.

At this point he kind of folds his arms in front of his chest, putting each hand under the opposite armpit. I guess this makes his biceps look bigger or something. Each time he wants to point out to something or make a jesture he unfolds his arms, does whatever he needs to and then does the hand in the armpit thing.

So my friend is just off to the side listening while this guy goes on and on.

Finally we decide he should leave the unit, he fills out our paperwork and leaves the laptop with the power adapter, shakes our hands and walks out the door.

I put the machine aside, as well as the paperwork and am just about to start talking to my friend again when he says....

"Smell your hand". I see him sniffing his hand. I do it and its a full stench of old armpit odor. I'm talking the kind of stuff you get when you dont shower for several days in the summer time. We both take turns in the bathroom trying to wash this stink off and then come back to laugh about it. I keep smelling it and then it dawns on me its also on the laptop. My friend sniffs the pen the guy used and throws it in the garbage. The clipboard he held to fill out the paperwork also stunk like him.

I had to wipe down the laptop, doorknob and the plastic clipboard with alcohol just to get rid of the smell. The stuff was in my sinuses for the rest
of the day and all I kept thinking about was how this guy probably does this all day wherever he goes.

When he picked up the laptop two days later I could still smell it on him. But this time I didnt have to shake his hand. I mean we all have our off days, but this guy is probably like that all the time.

thebeardedone
07-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I had to wipe down the laptop, doorknob and the plastic clipboard with alcohol just to get rid of the smell.

Hope you didn't waste too much? ;)

NYJimbo
07-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Hope you didn't waste too much? ;)

Isopropyl, not Everclear. I'm no fool. :D

hondablaster
07-16-2009, 05:40 PM
If you cant stand people like this, DONT MOVE TO SO CAL. I socialize with chuckle heads like this daily.

The armpit muscle man and the whatever guy are classic stereotypical California clowns. LOL Great Storys.

anonymous Mac Tech
07-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Here's another funny one I almost forgot about: "The Armpit Guy".

Just consider yourself lucky it wasn't the buttcrack guy or hand on crotch guy!:eek: Good stories.

RevivedCS
07-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Just consider yourself lucky it wasn't the buttcrack guy or hand on crotch guy!:eek: Good stories.

Is there a thread funnier than this? The buttcrack guy??? I have one of those clients...I'm not even going there today.

Jake77444
07-20-2009, 05:28 AM
This thread reminds me of a lady that called me not too long ago....

Lady - "My wireless is not working on my laptop"

Me - "What are the color of the lights on the front of your gateway" (She had a 2WIRE 2701HG)

Lady - "I don't know, its in my trunk and i'm driving down the road right now with my laptop on the passenger seat and I can't get a get connection"

Apparently this lady disconnected her 2WIRE gateway (DSL modem/router/firewall) and threw it in her trunk thinking it would work because it is "Wireless" and therefore the cables don't necessarily need to be connected. Then she was trying to get on the internet on her laptop while driving(Scary huh?).

Had to educate the customer on the meaning of "wireless" and how DSL works.

thor999
07-20-2009, 05:46 AM
Anyone else get offers for sex as payment for services?

noah
07-20-2009, 06:18 AM

No, but I can dream.

NickCat11
07-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Have you accepted any of those offers???

Blues
07-20-2009, 02:34 PM

Maybe its just me and my optimistic outlook but I don't suspect many of those who offer you would want it from.

thebeardedone
07-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Maybe its just me and my optimistic outlook but I don't suspect many of those who offer you would want it from.

+1. Mind you, I would refuse "it" regardless :p

TechGirl86
07-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I've now made this one lady into a regular customer, feel sorry for me, LOL. Seriously she is a very nice woman. She is a bit out there, studies paganism and practices it, no problem there, as you could probably guess she isn't very "tech" savvy or up with the times :) I had her call me the other day and she says " (my name here) I can't get online, I keep losing wireless signal." I asked her if she could look at her router for me and tell me the colors that were or were not blinking, then she goes to tell me "Well, I don't pay for internet exactly, I don't have a router." At this point I am trying not to laugh, she was getting wireless signal from a neighbor, a linksys router. I told her that her signal will not be very good and will fade because she was "feeding" of her neighbors signal. Then she proceeds to ask me "It's something call Linksys, am I getting it from a business?" And I told her what Linksys was and she came somewhat to an understanding that when you don't pay for your internet, your connection cannot be expected to work....it was a good laugh.