PDA

View Full Version : Technibble Live Chat?

jbutler9
07-12-2009, 05:53 AM
Any possibility of having chat integration services in Technibble where only members can do live chat?

krutoi
07-12-2009, 03:53 PM
That might be a good suggestion to post in the paid subscribers (http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7428) thread

hondablaster
09-28-2009, 02:28 AM
bump )))))))))))))))))

NickCat11
09-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Any possibility of having chat integration services in Technibble where only members can do live chat?

+1, That would be pretty cool.

basic
09-28-2009, 06:54 AM
lol. I think the mods will have their hands full with a chatroom.

JosephLeo
09-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Something like this would be a fantastic help for a tech who is stumped on the job. I support this idea!

iptech
09-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Ain't going to happen guys, the thought police will never allow it. Chat room = free speech.

Blues
09-29-2009, 01:47 PM
I would be on board if we could limit it to members the problem I see is that a basic IRC would be little difficult to limit in such a way.

Kenhelms
09-29-2009, 02:08 PM
We could all just start a IRC room.

I believe that any drama, etc. would be better placed on there then here. Google doesnt have a cache for chat....

DrumThumper
10-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I am a moderator at thebestcasescenario.com (not meant as a shameless plug, but more for showing why I lurk here). One of our admins installed a flash based chat program that gets used off and on. For the most part, our members at TBCS police themselves in the chat room, and alert the staff to any problems. The only major problem we had was a vBulletin compatibility issue with one of the upgrades to the chat program itself.

Just my $.02. If anyone would like more info, feel free to PM me.

Joe

Blues
10-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Was it IRC or a solo app for a special chat client with login tie-ins for members only?

DrumThumper
10-02-2009, 08:44 PM
The app we use @ TBCS is called FlashChat. We currently use v4.7.12.

http://www.tufat.com/s_flash_chat_chatroom.htm

I've never really looked into it until just now. Had no idea it was cheap.

Edit: We have it set up so it only shows up for logged in users.

ProTech Support
10-03-2009, 01:10 AM
The app we use @ TBCS is called FlashChat. We currently use v4.7.12.

http://www.tufat.com/s_flash_chat_chatroom.htm

I've never really looked into it until just now. Had no idea it was cheap.

Edit: We have it set up so it only shows up for logged in users.

I have used the same thing with Joomla powered website, but it does integrate with other titles such as Vbulletin. I have ran the 4.7 version and the 5.x version, but be careful the software can get a bit laggy especially running on a shared hosting package (not sure what we are doing here). I had to do a lot of modifying to the actual program to remove the "bulkiness".

All in all, for the price it's good, but if your expecting 20+ users at a time you might ant to try something else.

Tweak
10-03-2009, 03:07 AM
On a forum I am staff we have a chatroom although it really doesn't get used, builtin the site, java or flash I don't recall...what we DO use though is Skype, all staff utilize it, no members, but we do that and have voice, camera options although it really amounts to chat/type communications 99.99% of the time. Be kinda nice and since only staff hasn't ever been an issue after several years.

MM PC Solutions
10-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Sorry to go against the grain but imo a chat room would turn into a noob help line.

iisjman07
10-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Sorry to go against the grain but imo a chat room would turn into a noob help line.

Agreed, but I think it could be combatted by making the 'register' form include a reasonably difficult, timed (to prevent googling) question about pc repair. Alternatively we could make it so only people with a certain ammount of posts could talk in the chat room

Bryce W
10-04-2009, 12:37 PM
There are no technicial difficulties with this. In fact, we'll have our own IRC server (since we already have a dedicated one going for my other site) and the server would be something like irc.technibble.com

The software is not a problem either, we use a great Java based one over there which uses no server resources (as the Java applet is client side, its just the inital download of the applet).

So technically, this is doable. However, in my experience they get ugly. I dont mind it for the "help line" idea but this may lead to people asking questions without even doing the basics.

Methical
10-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I think that was the problem in the first place. Members here assuming that the OP hadn't done the basics and was here for a quick fix. Why couldn't they assume they had done the basics, thats why they were here askin?

If you think it would end up a 'help-line' for your average EU, why not make it accessible only to members who meet a specific criteria ..

I like the sound of an IRC server . I remember posting a thread on it when I was new here; and quite a few members where interested; but others thought that it might take the focus away from the forum and more onto IRC because someone would be 'live' right there to answer questions/queries, instead of posting it in the forum for all to view .

JoATMoN
10-28-2009, 03:28 PM
A great instant messenger to use that is free and open source is called Openfire Server, and their clients are called Spark.

Has a lot of features built in and you can regulate who has access and who doesn't.

TekSiDoT
10-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I very much like the idea of an IRC channel. I don't see how that might end up as a "newb-help-chan" - as the very same risk is obviously true for this forum which is open as well.

You could probably even add some kind of nick registration service connected with the forum database which filters out non-signed up users.

ProTech Support
10-30-2009, 06:17 PM
I very much like the idea of an IRC channel. I don't see how that might end up as a "newb-help-chan" - as the very same risk is obviously true for this forum which is open as well.

You could probably even add some kind of nick registration service connected with the forum database which filters out non-signed up users.

I agree that the chat should be linked with the forum database, similar to what FlashChat does. We do a pretty good job of weeding out the non-technical users through the forums and it would probably work the same way with the chat.

We could also put some sort of post count. Maybe 25 required posts before the link for the chat room appears. That was we don't have people signing up just to get into the chat for help.