PDA

View Full Version : Driver Pack

Techy
07-07-2009, 03:22 AM
I see the driver pack website , I know someone that has them on a type of script an runs it till it finds all the drivers . Anyone Know how to get that ?

Jory
07-07-2009, 03:41 AM
You're probably thinking of DriverForge.

hondablaster
07-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Just added another new cool item to my list of neat things to try. Thanks

Techy and Jory.

rusty.nells
07-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Have any of you tried RadarSync (http://www.radarsync.com/software/s176591-radarsync_free_version)? I recently discovered it but haven't tried it yet.

Claims to update drivers and software. Downloads directly from vendors' sites.

Works with Windows XP, Vista and 7 - 32 and 64 bit.

From the web site:
RadarSync is now free. Make sure your computer is running its best. Get the latest, correct updates for your PC's essential driver and software files with this free automatic update checker. Updating frequently prevents computer problems such as crashes, security holes and bugs, components and peripherals that don't work properly, and a s-l-o-w computer. RadarSync provides a detailed list of the updates your computer needs and helps you download and install them. RadarSync takes the guesswork out of the important task of keeping your computer up-to-date. With RadarSync, you know you're getting exactly the files your computer needs, without wasting time hunting around vendor websites.

RadarSync works by checking your PC against our database of over 90,000 files. It searches for updates for the installed driver and software files on your computer, notifies you when they are available, and helps you download and install them in the right place. New updates are added to RadarSync's database weekly, so regular use of RadarSync's PC updater is an excellent first line of defense against computer problems and hackers who might take advantage of security holes in out of date files.

New: RadarSync - Free Edition opens up this award winning service to the public so that all users can enjoy RadarSync's service at no charge.

nagidar
07-07-2009, 08:00 AM
RadarSync is a really useful app...been using it for awhile now with no complaints.

jbutler9
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Any idea what the effects on OEM machines are when using this. I know that with Sony Vaio having the most up to date drivers is not the best thing.

Doctor Micro
07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
OEM machines can sometimes be a problem with these driver update sites. Some HP and Dell models that I've run across had OEM-specific drivers that were tailored for that system. When you run a scan from a driver update site, it will often identify the chipset or manufacturer/model correctly and point you to the latest driver download. The problem is that the driver you download from, say ATI for example, for an ATI video card in a Dell machine, may or may not work properly.

I have a personal rule regarding drivers. If everything is working and there are no driver-related problems with the machine, I do not look for, download or install any updated drivers, even if I already have newer drivers in my library. Sometimes, newer isn't necessarily better.

Hard core gamers, on the other hand, are the exception to the rule. They will always be looking for the latest drivers (especially nVidia or ATI Catalyst), anything to give them an edge.

For ordinary clients, the only times I will use the latest and greatest drivers is if we've done a nuke & pave and we're starting from scratch, or if there's an obvious driver-related issue with the machine in question.

breadtrk
07-08-2009, 12:25 PM
How hard is it to go the the mfgrs website and just download the specific drivers for that specific model? Seems like you are seriously over-complicating a very simple thing. I can't think of one driver in 15 yrs I was not able to get from the OEM website.