PDA

View Full Version : Apple

TechPro
02-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Just been watching the latest Apple Mac Adverts:

http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/

They are very funny especially the Restarting vid. I am tempted to buy a Mac.

Anyone else seen them?

Does any own a Mac or repair them? Do they have many problems and what main problems have you come across?

Thanks

:)

Bryce W
02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah, we get these ads here in Australia but we get the American versions.
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

I never even knew there were british versions of the ads. The Mac guy reminds me of you Techpro, you look sorta similar :)

[ Edit: I just found the Japanese ones: http://www.apple.com/jp/getamac/ . No idea what they are saying, but im sure they are pretty much saying the exact same type of thing as the western versions ]

As for repairing Macs, I have no idea how to repair a Mac. I do get calls occasionally to go onsite to repair Macs but I obviously have to turn them down. As for hardware, most of the hardware is proprietary and suits only that model of Mac so its not easy to carry around parts with you. Some models however are very much like PC's where you take off the side panel and can easily swap the CPU, drop a stick of RAM in to it etc..
I'll probably keep giving Mac repair a miss until I see the market pick up a little more.

Jura
02-06-2007, 05:43 PM
http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/

Sorry, I only speak American.

Knuckles10, go fansub that Japanese one. :3

Still don't have much reason to have a Mac.

Bryce W
02-06-2007, 11:10 PM
My next computer will probably be a Mac. For the price their performance hardware wise is really good. Also, since Macs can run Windows natively now with no problems (and do it faster than most PCs), allow you to instantly swap between XP and Mac etc.. there isnt really a reason not to get a Mac.

TechPro
02-07-2007, 03:59 AM
I would like to buy a Mac sometime soon, I have heard a Mac Mini makes for a really nice Home Theatre system. See the Video Podcast here:

Mac Mini Home Theatre (http://www.itidiots.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=49)

:)

Bryce W
02-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Id definitely consider a Mac mini as the price tag vs power is pretty good. I can get a 1.5gig dual core, 1gb ram version for $800 AUD here.

Blues
02-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Check out thier refurbs can get somethin almost like the top end model for around $100 less on the Mac minis.

Bryce W
02-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Here is the new Mac ad taking a shot at Vistas new security popups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p79F-qdCCDU&eurl=

Bryce W
02-09-2007, 08:56 PM
On the topic of PC vs. Mac ads, this made me laugh:

http://fuhrerchan.be/ma/src/1157960476967.jpg

lcs
02-17-2007, 03:57 PM
I would only buy a mac to learn how to repair it. I would never want one for myself. I used to work in the internet department for our local telephone company and they bought us a mac that we could learn on, and I hated it. I have always heard people raving about how much better mac is and how mac OS is more stable. and the like. The one we had locked up all the time. We had to reboot it several times a day and half the applications did not work very well and if you tried to do more than one thing at a time it would lock up. It was terrible. I don't know if it had a hardware problem or what. But, It was not just that, I hate the way the OS is organized. It is hard to do anything. To do simple networking you have to go though several menus and windows. The same operation could have been done in WinXP in a third of the time. And I have a feeling that their so called better performance is overrated. It is like comparing an AMD and an Intel. Usually, if you take an AMD and an Intel processor of the same rated speed, the AMD will smoke the Intel. I don't know for sure but I have a feeling mac overrates their stuff like Intel does. I have been told by many people that Windows is not stable on a mac. Windows is unstable enough the last thing we need is to make it worse by putting it on a Mac.

I guess that is enough raving. I have tried to be open to Macs but I have never had any good experiences with them and I have had many bad ones. Maybe I just have bad luck with them.

Blues
02-17-2007, 07:01 PM
I have worked with Macs a little too they really aren't any more stable they just don't offer a BSOD to tell you its done screwed up on you. I also notice just lookin out of curiousity into a Power Mac or what ever thier big tower is that it uses ECC Ram which would make it more stable but thats the hardware not the software. The bottom line is they really aren't any better yes fewer attacks on them but thats becuase they are a smaller part of the user base. I do think they are somewhat better for A/V work mostly for the fact the software suits seem to be better designed for the Macs then the PC when these companies develop them.

Fred_G
02-18-2007, 04:27 PM
On the topic of PC vs. Mac ads, this made me laugh:

http://fuhrerchan.be/ma/src/1157960476967.jpg

I love those pics! That is how I feel about Linux, WXP and Mac. I have 3 WinXP computers, and one Linux. The Mac, well, looks nice, but pricy, and I can't customize it. I am trying to learn some Linux. I had a nice experience with my Linux box last night that I think Windows should learn from.

I swapped out a Radeon Video card with a NVidea card. I got a screen saying something about the server cannot start. I pushed a button or 2 and it asked if I want to run X or something. Sure, why not. It configured the card, and was up and running in 5 mins. What, no drivers? No Driver Cleaner needed, dang, it just works. ATI to NVidea video card swap in 7 mins or less, try that with WinXP...

And I am not putting down the Mac, WinXP, or Linux. Different OS for different applications.

E

chillihead
06-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Just thought I would add my two cents here. I have been using PC's since the late 80's. Got into the repair business in 1993. I have owned just about every decent system out there, plus built many customs. I had worked with Macs in a past job and really got to work with OSX Panther. Very nice, stable OS running on G4 Quicksilver models.

I finally decided to take the plunge and switch to the dark side!

When I heard Apple switched to Intel chips it had my attention. I knew if i were to buy any Mac available these days it would have to be the Pro Models. I want a system I can upgrade! Only the Pro's have that option.

Retail they are very pricey. However when you compare the specs with a similar Dell or AlienWare high end system, they are priced to compete.

I watched many eBay auctions and finally grabbed a Mac Pro Tower with 2GB of ECC RAM, Dual / Dual Core Xeon 2.0Ghz CPU's and a 7300GT PCI-E card. Still had several months left of Apple warranty left as well! I got it shipped to my house for $1,800.00 US.

This system is hands down the (Best) computer I have owned yet. Here's why:

4 Xeon Woodcrest Cores
Dependable Workstation Class ECC Memory
OS is Linux based!
Firefox for Mac.
MS Office for Mac.
Photoshop for Mac
DreamWeaver for Mac
The list goes on.......

The best parts I like:

I run VMWare Fusion for Mac. Right now it's a free beta. With the 4 Cores I run 2-3 VM's running XP Pro and Vista right within OSX. I use these to test boot cd's with XP, new utilities that come out every so often that I need for my work. PC Repair.

Are these VM's fast?

I can boot a XP Pro SP2 build VM under Fusion in 20 seconds. Load a bunch of apps on that, then load up another VM running XP and work between them while (still) working in OSX at the same time with almost no lag.

I cannot stress how fast the Mac Pro line is until you see it in action. Apple's decision to move to Xeon chips was the best yet.

How about upgrades?

At any point you can switch out the two Xeon CPU's with the new Quad Core models. That's what I am waiting for, but not until they drop in price. Way too expensive right now. Once that happens, you will have a nice (8) Core system at top speed! Not bad.....

Right now the fastest video card you can buy for the Pro models is the ATI X1900XT 512MB. That's a nice card. However not the fastest in the market.
I am waiting until Apple releases the newer ATI card or the new NVidia series later this year.

Either way with Apple's (BootCamp) option I can dual boot the whole thing into XP or Vista dedicated and run any game out. Personally I am waiting for Crysis! :eek:

Anyways I know I am rambling on about Macs, but I really wanted to share my experience with those interested in the platform. The IMacs and MacBooks are also nice, but if you want a screamin fast, upgradable system, which most techs do, the Mac Pro is the one.

Buzz
07-15-2007, 09:30 PM
I didn't even know Apple made the switch to Intel...shows you how much I pay attention to apple. It will be interesting to see the change. They are very good computers, which is why they cost so much. I sure wouldn't mind having one ;)

What does everyone think about the new IPhone? Looks impressive to me :D

-Buzz

Blues
07-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Apple has been using Intel CPUs for about a year now

dracken
07-17-2007, 06:37 AM
I work on Macintosh and PC machines at work. OS 10.4 is a very nice operating system. Windows XP runs on the Mac very well. As far as repairing Macs, the ram, hard drive etc are pretty standard stuff. The motherboard, screens etc is all proprietary though. Same thing with a Dell computer though. I am thinking of getting an IMac myself. Apple does offer certifications if people are interesting in working on apple computers.

http://train.apple.com/certification/