PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Fan High

tymiller
07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey guys,

I have a client's computer that I just replaced the motherboard on. I also reformatted and put a new hard drive in. The fan is staying at high speed the whole time. Both cores stay between 38-40C when idle. It is a Toshiba satellite P305. Any ideas?

Thanks!

computergeek1
07-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey guys,

I have a client's computer that I just replaced the motherboard on. I also reformatted and put a new hard drive in. The fan is staying at high speed the whole time. Both cores stay between 38-40C when idle. It is a Toshiba satellite P305. Any ideas?

Thanks!

What was the issue\problem before you replaced the motherboard and hard drive, i am with ACG need more info.

tymiller
07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok,

Toshiba Satellite P305-S8825.

Running Vista 32-bit
Intel Core2 Duo T5550 1.83 GHz
3GB Ram

What else do you need? Motherboard was replaced with same P/N as original.

Problem before was, it wasn't powering on.

K007
07-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Ok,

Toshiba Satellite P305-S8825.

Running Vista 32-bit
Intel Core2 Duo T5550 1.83 GHz
3GB Ram

What else do you need? Motherboard was replaced with same P/N as original.

Problem before was, it wasn't powering on.

As I said, new m-board = new bios chip.
Upgrade the BIOS !!!
Edit: new bios chip almost invariably = old bios version

tymiller
07-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Well, I installed the chipset driver and that fixed some of it. I will try to flash the BIOS also. Just use the update from toshiba?

anonymous Mac Tech
07-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I'd check for sensors that might not have been reconnected to the board. Just seems to make sense. Whenever I replace a board on anything and fans are full bore, that's usually what the problem is. I'm just saying that's usually it because I've done tons of boards on desktops and laptops and its easy to leave a sensor unplugged. AS far as the temps concerned its gonna run cool with the fans on high.

studiot
07-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I doubt if it is the BIOS, never had that as a cause.

Could the fan be running because it needs to? ie did you put the heatsink back properly?

Is the fan new? Could the fan assembly itself be damaged in whatever happened ie was it overdriven for a long time before the fault till the sensors failed so are the sensors reporting any speed at all. thus causing the system to demand more and more drive?

Use speedfan or SIV.

tymiller
07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Seems like problem is solved.

Thanks.

NYJimbo
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Seems like problem is solved.

Thanks.

http://www.freewebs.com/students4studentstest/tada.PNG

Another day of hair-pulling and teeth-gnashing avoided by help from the crew at Technibble.com !

usacvlr
07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
If a laptop is plugged in and it's power options are set in a specific way,, varies but toshiba is quite versatile then it will run at max clock speed the entire time it's plugged in.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

tymiller
07-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Well, when I installed the chipset, it calmed down a bit. I then updated the BIOS, and it is not as high, but staying at a steady speed.

I will keep an eye on it and let you guys know.

Thanks.