PDA

View Full Version : Sig Spammers

Blues
07-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Is there a way we can stop this? No sig until post count > X? No links in sig until post count > X? I am just trying to figure it out becuase well I don't want us to help people who use such means. Should we have a rule for sigs that links must be to sites you own? I don't really have many ideas but its gotten worse now.

seedubya
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
You're spot on blues. I think no sig until 50 posts would be good. It's usually possible to tell the spammers by their third post so that would give ample opportunity for banning. Still very little point to any of this if moderation isn't stepped up a notch.

thecoldone06
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
http://www.technibble.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif Agreed. It's a shame it has to come down to that but I believe it would be a nice step.

jj2000
07-01-2009, 08:02 PM
i agree as well, it is time these people were stopped from this practice.

purple_minion
07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I myself find it kind of interesting how they develop. They don't post spam as the main message, but go in and create a signature. I don't like it, but interesting to see develop.

The real issue with spam is that they do it for a reason, and that is because it works. If people didn't click on the crap we'd all be fine. Same with junk mail and telemarketers. Stop responding to their crap and their whole reason for existence will disappear.

MrUnknown
07-02-2009, 06:58 PM
it is more than likely automated, even the sig stuff. software can be made to easily find the fields and parts of a website if they know the general layout, and I am sure every vBulletin install has a very similar layout. At the very least, the link structure and field names for forms are exactly the same, no matter the theme, because the backend requires them.

Also, the response rate for spam is incredibly low. For forums, I think the main reason is for backlinks. If I ran a forum I would make it part of the TOS that any advertising costs $x,xxx and send these companies a bill, because technically, it is legally binding.

Bryce W
07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree. Im just looking for a good way to go about it.

Edit: I think I will create a "trusted users" usergroup that can only be entered after about 5-10 posts and 3-5 days time. If you are not in the trusted usergroup (you get put in "Registered users" by default when you sign up) you cannot access the buy/sell forum, cannot see the scripting forum, cannot use a signature and cannot post links.

I can do this fairly easily using forum promotions.

jj2000
07-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I think I will create a "trusted users" usergroup that can only be entered after about 5-10 posts and 3-5 days time. If you are not in the trusted usergroup (you get put in "Registered users" by default when you sign up) you cannot access the buy/sell forum, cannot see the scripting forum, cannot use a signature and cannot post links.

That seems like a decent idea and it may cure the problem for now but i'm sure these spammers will find a way round it in time.

Blues
07-02-2009, 09:34 PM
This is all I am looking for at the time some amount of deterent with out stopping our legitimate users.

Methical
07-03-2009, 01:07 AM
5-10 posts is a small number..

So is 3-5 days..

Min. 20 posts and Min. a week sounds good to me..

Maybe even 50 post and 2 weeks :)

seedubya
07-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Agree with Methical - 50 posts, 2 weeks.

Daifne
07-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Over at Mozillazine, we've been getting some lately that will post something or many things that seem reasonable, but after a few days they will go in a add a spam signature. New trick...

Bryce W
07-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Ive implimented the changes. For 5 posts and 5 days you are in the "Newbie" category. You cannot email users, cannot post links and cannot have links in your signature. Private messaging is also heavily throttled (you can PM, just cant do alot quickly).

Once you beat this amount then you have normal user permissions. I may raise the count later but this should deter most once off spammers.

I have also created some forum rules which are proposed atm, have you say towards them here: http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7543

iptech
07-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Whilst they are an annoyance, sig spammers are not the biggest problem on this forum and are easy to identify and avoid. A spammer selling roof coatings doesn't overly bother me, but those selling get-rich-quick schemes for techs do.