PDA

View Full Version : Keep or remove firewalls?

hwang
03-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Some apps before running them, notify that will have problems because my computer has firewalls, otherwise, I have read firewalls help to protect computers.... so I don't know if keep or remove them.

What do you think guys?

Rus
03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
YES, if you are going on the net you need firewall on windows.

Once it saved office where I work/study from some trojans/worms that kill AV programs and do some other nasty things, so only one machine got infected.

hwang
03-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Then, I will keep firewall on my computer.
I use for surfing on the net, more than work.

Thanks for your reply! I don't want viruses on my computer.

kamesh
05-31-2006, 06:55 AM
I would like to add some facts, before mr.hwang comes to conclusions....

I feel that it's better that you contact your technician for setting up your firewall...Every firewall has certain parameters-- somethin like for example - highest-medium-low....

If you opt for the mode "highest", you may have some problems running various applications... hence, every settings has its own pros and cons.....

At the end, it basically depends how and what kind of applications you use on your computer...

Hope am sounding clear and you are able to understand what i mean to say....

Xnfrcr
02-16-2007, 06:40 AM
A few people do not realize that if you are hooked up to broadband your modem has a built in firewall. Therefore, if you are using Windows firewall, it is redundant.

Bryce W
02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
A few people do not realize that if you are hooked up to broadband your modem has a built in firewall. Therefore, if you are using Windows firewall, it is redundant.
This is true alot of the time, but not always the case. I find most ADSL modems have built in firewalls, but cable modems generally do not (well, the ones that get issued here in Australia anyway).

Blues
02-16-2007, 07:10 PM
I have a Linksys router that has a built in firewall only down side to it is it doesn't have a real configuration utility so a redundant PC bassed firewall would probly be a good idea in my case. I don't know what my modem has nor do I care Id rather be redundant in that case then sorry.

Andy-Always
02-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Don't even be tempted to be on the internet for any period of time without a firewall,,,
Windows firewall (XP) is ok for protecting you against incoming connections but will allow all outgoing connections (if your computer initiates the connection, the port will be open for whatever to come in) TROJANS etc!!

A great firewall that is free for private use is Zone Alarm, it's incredibly easy to use and won't allow anything in or out without your say so...

If you run a business and have sensitive data - spend a little extra and buy a hardware firewall (you may want it setup professionally)

It doesn't have to cost a lot of money to be secure and safe on the internet

LOCK THOSE DOORS AND KEEP THEM OUT!

Bryce W
02-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Don't even be tempted to be on the internet for any period of time without a firewall,,,
I agree. Also, worms such as MSBlaster will actually seek your computer out. If you put an unpatched computer on the internet with no firewall, a worm WILL find you even if you dont visit any sites or even use the computer.

Back when MSBlaster was more wide spread, I had just formatted a clients computer with a pre-servicepack2 CD of theirs. In the time it took me to connect it to the internet and go straight to the Windows Update site (about 2 mins) it was infected. Always turn on the firewall BEFORE any connection to the net.

tkrabec
03-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Use the firewalls, I run a Software firewall on my laptop (sygate), and the windows firewalls on my home machines. I also have a router that does NAT, while NAT is not a true firewall, it does a great job of keeping out un-expected connections. I always leave my Virus scans and Firewalls inplace when install a program, My opinion is if the program cannot be installed with some sane rules, ie telling the fire wall to allow the program to access the web, then it probably is not a quality program and should not be run. (there are some exceptions like network sniffers, and some security tools)

-- Tim Krabec

Alden
06-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Hardware firewall - good
Software firewall - depends on the user.

They're kind of like Vista's User Account Controls in that they continuously have popups. The average user becomes calous to them and either ignores or disables them thereby rendering them useless.

Don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for them, but my average client doesn't need to be bothered with them unless they have sensitive data to worry about.