PDA

View Full Version : Macs, VPNs, Terminal Server, and Scanners

angry_geek
06-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I know confusing. Here is the scenario. I have a Dr's office using a bunch of macs and a piss poor medical management system. They don't get very good support, the insurance companies are telling them that their software must be updated to include certain fields in their electronic forms, the software company has put this off for over a year. Now they aren't getting paid from the insurance carriers because of this. We've had to process all their claims through our managed medisoft server just so they can get paid from the insurers. I told them from the beginning that this was not a good situation for macs, but they didn't listen until now. (I'm not bashing Macs. As I've said before, they have their place in the market, but this isn't it.)

Now the doctor wants me to help him. Here's what we've done with other offices running windows. We manage servers from our office for electronic medical records programs. We set up the clients to log into the servers through terminal services over a VPN. By doing this, the printers all work without problem, and the users can scan documents directly into the server and database. I want to do the same thing here, but he obviously doesn't want to have to replace all his macbooks and imacs. I have not used VPN software on macs, but have used terminal services with great success. No problems with HP or Samsung printers. What I plan to do is set up a point to point vpn with a new router at their office. My biggest worry is scanning. Do you think I will be able to use the scanners the way I do with windows?

Any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated.

anonymous Mac Tech
06-28-2009, 04:27 AM
Do you think I will be able to use the scanners the way I do with windows?

Any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Would they be opposed to running Windows through a VM or bootcamp partition? I'm not suggesting this is the only solution, just the path of least resistance in regards to the fact you already have a setup that works well with Windows.

angry_geek
06-28-2009, 07:20 AM
I thought about that, but first I want to explore cleaner and easier ways. They already run parallels on a couple of the machines, so I don't think that would be too much of a problem. He would just have to buy licensing for windows for the rest. Better than new machines.