PDA

View Full Version : Paid subscribers?

MSgherzi
06-27-2009, 05:00 AM
I don't know if this has been suggested or not, but I think it might be a good idea if there would be something for either the forums or website or both where you could pay a subscription and get access to different things.

What those "things" could be is where everyone could possibly chime in. In other PC and tech forums a lot of them have different things you can do such as something by your name that says you're a supporter, a picture under your avatar, the ability to access downloads, change stuff, so on and so forth.

Just a suggestion. :)

tasaholic
06-27-2009, 06:06 AM
If it ain't broke...don't fix it! :rolleyes:

MSgherzi
06-27-2009, 06:07 AM
If it ain't broke...don't fix it! :rolleyes:

Then why even have a suggestions forum? :)

tasaholic
06-27-2009, 07:37 AM
I believe the forum achieves what the owner and controller wants it to. This forum is in no way restricted to Techs,and most of us have our Exclusive Techs Only sites. I think the majority of members joined TN because it is the way it is. That's why I think :if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't think it needs further complications nor exclusive little clubs. :)

MSgherzi
06-27-2009, 07:39 AM
I believe the forum achieves what the owner and controller wants it to. This forum is in no way restricted to Techs,and most of us have our Exclusive Techs Only sites. I think the majority of members joined TN because it is the way it is. That's why I think :if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't think it needs further complications nor exclusive little clubs. :)

*Demands an exclusive little club*

You make a great point, tasaholic.

iptech
06-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Besides that I would have thought it would be an administrative nightmare to implement.

Bryce W
06-27-2009, 09:25 AM
vBulletin supports paid subsribers automatically billing/moving in and out of the group so its technically not a problem.

But, what would you want as the paid option?

tasaholic
06-27-2009, 10:10 AM
One big issue with a 'paid subscriber' section I think is this: TN is open to all for two reasons,1- to give Techs a chance to swap ideas etc, 2- to allow ALL users (PC,Mac,Linux) a forum for learning. Some side bonuses that have developed are healthy debates on emerging technology,helpful advice to anyone asking a question,development of those little side issues that seem to interest us all to our mutual benefit.Yes..we do have a few blues over stupid stuff...so does any diverse group of people (apart from fanatics),it's a healthy environment for the exchange of ideas and knowledge. Now...to a minor thing in a lot of minds-- we must not forget that we are fostering the up & coming Techs of tomorrow...some as young as 13-14,others just out of college and starting in business for the first time. It is this group that will pick our "ball" up and carry it far into areas we cannot imagine yet,as technological advances take new directions. Few of these can afford extraneous costs in start-up and will have to drop a lot of cost-causing stuff to get established. Again,many techs are just getting along OK...watching their pennies,looking after their families etc. Should we now possibly exclude any one of these people and create an exclusive corner which ,I predict , would inevitably turn into a wa*kfest for a few elitists or little people with big egos? I do not believe so. I do believe Bryce should be able to make this site pay for itself and his very welcome efforts..whether by sponsorship or even unobtrusive advertising..that is his business alone. I have been repairing PC's for a number of years now..I do not know it all,in fact,my knowledge is far outweighed by my lack thereof....and this site has been both an inspiration and one of the greatest sources of knowledge for a very imperfect field,to myself and a lot of others. Apart from a few decorum and manners issues,I'd guess that 99.9% of members relate very strongly to the TN Community, which has so obviously developed an international reputation for it's value to both the Tech and the everyday user. I suspect moves behind a closed section may be more about the prevention of non-techs getting ideas on "fixes" (thus protecting 'business') than it is about anything else. Truth is probably less than .001% of users ever reach this site and a lot of those that do..either do not understand the tech talk and go call the local bloke,or they try something they read,stuff the system..then call the local bloke. I share lots of tips with my clients..has resulted in increased business,but more importantly,it has given me respect from my clients--something I value far above wealth. (Believe me..my wallet proves it...pesky moths). Hope this makes a tad of sense :o

Bryce W
06-27-2009, 10:38 AM
tasaholic, I agree with you. I have written similar when this topic has come up in the past.

However, I am open minded about new ideas so I wanted to ask what the paid subscribers wanted.

krutoi
06-27-2009, 03:42 PM
For one thing you could accept donations to the site, and give contributors a "site supporter" badge - I am sure that many people who get value here would be happy to show some monetary appreciation. At the moment the only real way to do this is by purchasing the Computer Business Kit (http://www.technibble.com/products/computer-business-kit/). Perhaps a badge for Kit buyers as well.

Road Runner
06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
A site supporter badge is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!
Keep the site free......but give those who can and are so minded to do so the ability to make a paypal donation.

I belong to a site that every year you make a dontaion you get a small 2007,2008,2009 etc supporter badge.

I usually donate 10 dollars a year......I sure as heck feel I get WAY MORE than that with this site and would be happy to "hit the paypal" button even without a "supporter badge.

seedubya
06-27-2009, 06:56 PM
No problem donating, here. I've already bought the kit.

MSgherzi
06-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I was going to suggest the sub-forums idea but ACG beat me to it. I also like the site supporter badge, as many many forums have such a thing.

I've already bought the kit and would have no problem just donating to the site.

Maybe make some special news or articles or something also available to paid subscribers? Maybe make some new kits or something available as well?

More forum options might not be a bad idea either. What those would be, I'm not sure.

Maybe more private message space and things of that nature.

Bryce W
06-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Interesting. If there was a supporter badge, an increase in PM space and a private forum, what would you be willing to donate? One off? per month? per year? Just trying to guage a price point. I am assuming a higher price point would filter out many people you guys dont want.

krutoi
06-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Perhaps one of the sub-forums could be for development of the Kit contents - folks could share ideas and experiences to help make the kit even better. New elements could be added such as sample flyers, promotional items, etc.. This would also add a new selling point for new customers, as they would not only get the kit, but ongoing support for it as well. In this case you could charge a yearly fee to maintain access to the support forum.

krutoi
06-28-2009, 06:12 PM
We also need a better ranking / reputation scoring system. Something where members could physically see (merit stars or something) the rep of a user before even approaching them for an answer, or question.

In my experience the best system for indicating a person's helpfulness is the "Thank You" hack (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165673). By looking at users who have accumulated the most "Thanks", I think you get a better idea of who to look up to and trust than folks with reputation. The thanks appear on each post quite visibly, while the reputation system is something that people have to be educated about, and it is something that is not really apparent if you don't look for it. The other thing that I like about it is that it has no negative aspect, whereas the reputation system does - which leads to lots of bickering and upset feelings IMO. There is also no anonymous voting which keeps things honest.

My previous thread (http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7143)

MSgherzi
06-28-2009, 06:15 PM
In my experience the best system for indicating a person's helpfulness is the "Thank You" hack (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165673). By looking at users who have accumulated the most "Thanks", I think you get a better idea of who to look up to and trust than folks with reputation. The thanks appear on each post quite visibly, while the reputation system is something that people have to be educated about, and it is something that is not really apparent if you don't look for it. The other thing that I like about it is that it has no negative aspect, whereas the reputation system does - which leads to lots of bickering and upset feelings IMO. There is also no anonymous voting which keeps things honest.

I second that notion.

anonymous Mac Tech
06-28-2009, 06:37 PM

I don't know about the thanks button thing. I belong to another forum for people looking for Mac help as a tech where this feature is utilized. I personally as well as other techs who have given out very useful bits of information get kind of bent when we fail constantly to be thanked by these people or else it just turns into a competition to see who can acquire the most thanks. Now granted this particular site has and encourages many fly-by-nighters who will post only once or else until their problem is corrected, so I'm sure this adds to the techs frustrations. But you bring any ranking system in and peoples natural tendency is to turn it ugly by either abusing the system or bashing those with a lower ranking.

http://macosx.com/forums/volunteer-techs/305467-ungrateful-b-s.html

krutoi
06-28-2009, 07:01 PM
you bring any ranking system in and peoples natural tendency is to turn it ugly by either abusing the system or bashing those with a lower ranking.

I agree that the potential for abuse exists, but if there were to be a ranking system I much prefer this one over the built-in reputation system.

angry_geek
06-28-2009, 09:33 PM
@bryce
Maybe you could do a $10.00/month or $100.00/year or $5.00/month $50.00/year. That way the people who commit for a year will get a bit of a discount. I don't know what that breaks down to in your weirdo Australian money:p, but you get the idea.

That being said, I think I would expect a significant section only available to paid subscribers. I'll leave it up to others to decide what should be in there, but that's my .02.

MrMille
06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
something by your name that says you're a supporter, a picture under your avatar, the ability to access downloads, change stuff, so on and so forth.

[/QUOTE]

-1:rolleyes:

NickCat11
07-20-2009, 01:04 AM
@bryce
Maybe you could do a $10.00/month or $100.00/year or $5.00/month $50.00/year. That way the people who commit for a year will get a bit of a discount.

I would be in favor of something like this. When I first joined this site I was actually surprised that it was free. I'd be more than willing to support this site for the invaluable information it has provided me.

Methical
07-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Lol; Bryce could give up his day job shortly.

With 10,000+ members; even at a dollar a month he would be rolling in it lol.
( not that all the 10,000 members are active )

But maybe some exclusive content for paid members. Just like the Automation & Scripting thread is only available to members; and not free users. I just didnt want all the script kiddies searchin' thru google and finding my script ( although the search 'vista cleanup script' put my program on the first page )

I think the reputation system needs some work though. It is a lil' bit sad at the moment. Or some form of 'thank' system; and for it to show up somewhere by the members name. Instead of the silly lil' green orb ( does that indicate that they are a senior member; as well as the text beneath their name )

frostbyte5014
07-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Bryce, we're all coming down for the big blow out party you'll be throwing this Christmas. LOL, all jokes aside, I would pay for it! Just need some premium services of some sort. If done right, everyone could benefit financially.

Bryce W
07-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Nickcat, Methical, Frostbyte.. what would you consider a reasonable per month or per year price for this?

frostbyte5014
07-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Bryce, it's very hard to say how much. I do think however that it should be by the year. The site has turned into a really good resource for everyone. Let me think about it and do a little research and I'll get back to you.

Update:
Bryce, I looked at a few sites that charge subscriptions and most are charging anywhere from $59 to $99 a year. The only problem is the types of services you get from them. I would say that with Technibble's current
features, you should keep the price below $59 per year. Keep in mind that you can add features as things move along. I would quiz everyone on what type of feature and services they would like to have and then go from there.
Maybe plan to iron everything out before the end of this year and then start subscriptions in January.

I figure you have got to have some great ideas to spice things up. I feel like you're working on something big. Hope everything works out well.
8-) frosty

NickCat11
07-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Bryce, I looked at a few sites that charge subscriptions and most are charging anywhere from $59 to $99 a year. The only problem is the types of services you get from them. I would say that with Technibble's current
features, you should keep the price below $59 per year. Keep in mind that you can add features as things move along.

I agree. I feel $50/year is a good starting point and then you can build from there as you add more subscriber only benefits.

thebeardedone
07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, unless some more features come up that makes paying more worthwhile, I'm going to say around £12 or $20 for the year.

Perhaps you could provide varying levels of subscription for users. i.e. Bronze is free, silver is £12/yr and gold is £20/yr. Obviously, you get different benefits with each level and there are more options for people.

computergeek1
07-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I would be against paying any money to use this forum, as i feel you would lose a lot of techs and you will be left with only a few techs, and would change the forum for the worse, one thing you can do is have a section for techs that would pay and have things where you can download the business kit for free, and also have the scripting in this section. e.t.c..

NickCat11
07-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I would be against paying any money to use this forum, as i feel you would lose a lot of techs and you will be left with only a few techs, and would change the forum for the worse, one thing you can do is have a section for techs that would pay and have things where you can download the business kit for free, and also have the scripting in this section. e.t.c..

Well I think if Bryce goes for a price point that the beardedone recommended then I don't think the forum would lose to many techs. I mean $20/year for something as useful as this site really isn't that much when you think about it. That's under $2.00 a month. Bryce's work alone to keep this site going is at least worth that much, don't you agree?

computergeek1
07-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Well I think if Bryce goes for a price point that the beardedone recommended then I don't think the forum would lose to many techs. I mean $20/year for something as useful as this site really isn't that much when you think about it. That's under $2.00 a month. Bryce's work alone to keep this site going is at least worth that much, don't you agree?

I would agree to a point, also with the way this forum is at the moment, i would not pay to join, as i have had my far share of bashing, i have lost that faith that this forum had, and there is still alot of stuff going on that will never be sorted and plus there is some techs on here that i would not pay to be associated with.:)

NickCat11
07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I would agree to a point, also with the way this forum is at the moment, i would not pay to join, as i have had my far share of bashing, i have lost that faith that this forum had, and there is still alot of stuff going on that will never be sorted and plus there is some techs on here that i would not pay to be associated with.:)

Unfortunately I know exactly what you mean. I am confident though that things will smooth over.

Bryce W
07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
There shouldnt be any bashing around currently. Those threads have been removed and the appropriate strikes against the offenders have been given.

l337
07-21-2009, 12:46 AM
one benifit for subscribers could be a private torrent tracker maybe lol

Kenhelms
07-21-2009, 02:28 AM
I pay 12.99 a month for experts exchange, never had any problem with that...

and like 150 or something for astalavista

computergeek1
07-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I think it should be much more than $20.00 for the year. The only people that might drop off are probably the ones you wouldn't miss anyway.

This is why i would not pay

thebeardedone
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Perhaps everyone should have a say in how much we pay, a referendum, if you will. I, personally, will pay a good amount to participate in these forums but it will not be "much more than $20.00".
I'm here to learn more about the PC business and more about the technology that we all love as a student. I don't work full time so every bit of money I earn has to be spent wisely. I'm not saying others here don't have to "watch the pennies", but thats part of my argument, not everyone can afford a high subscription fee.

rusty.nells
07-21-2009, 02:20 PM
I think it should be much more than $20.00 for the year. The only people that might drop off are probably the ones you wouldn't miss anyway.

I might be willing to pay about $20-$30 USD per year. The real benefit for me are the members I'd be willing to "lean on" for advice, and there are too few of them.

The majority of the members that might drop off are likely the ones that would receive a greater benefit. As much as we may dislike the "hand holding", they may be Bryce's prime target.

stevenamills
07-21-2009, 02:24 PM

I don't know - that's for sure, but I believe you are grossly underestimating the amount of financial pain people are feeling now and, it looks like, for many years to come. Take it to, say, $100 per year and I would be surprised to see the number get to double digits - free bravado in this thread aside.

Just my perspective......

frostbyte5014
07-21-2009, 02:34 PM
I have seen many other forums increase their members several times over after they went to paid subscriptions. The quality of people's input and the quality of the topics also greatly improved. I think Technibble has the potential to be an awesome business resource for computer techs. Not just for new and upcoming techs looking for information on getting started, but also a great place for veteran techs to exchange knowledge on support issues. Therefore I am more than willing to pay for this service.

thebeardedone
07-21-2009, 05:01 PM
I have seen many other forums increase their members several times over after they went to paid subscriptions. The quality of people's input and the quality of the topics also greatly improved. I think Technibble has the potential to be an awesome business resource for computer techs. Not just for new and upcoming techs looking for information on getting started, but also a great place for veteran techs to exchange knowledge on support issues. Therefore I am more than willing to pay for this service.

No one has said that they aren't willing to pay, but this site was created with practicing techs and aspiring techs in mind and I feel that both make an equal contribution, so why out price those that want to get into this business.

computergeek1
07-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I would like bryce to start a poll on the different prices so we can all vote on a price, so we can get this moving and get things into place, as we can go around the houses all day long but we are not solving anything. I think once we decide on the price then we should think about what we want for our money, prehaps we could get a free 12 months licence to a software of some sort, and some other free stuff.

Rider
07-21-2009, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't pay. Sorry, the site is a great resource but I can't see paying a subscription for it. I feel there is a bit of an elitist mentality as it is on this site, I can just see how bad it could get if this site were subscription based. The flipside is true also, if a person pays does that give him/her the right to ask stupid questions?

To say "if you can't afford it maybe you should reconsider things" (or along those lines) is an example of that elitist mentality I'm talking about. $10.00 may not seem like much to some but to others that could be one months advertising budget (paper and ink for flyers) or a quarter tank of gas to get to the next job. I'm not poor but I'm paying over $2000/mo in mortgage payments and $400/mo electric bills and I treasure every ten dollar bill I have.

As I said, this site is a great resourse but virtually all of the info here is available eslewhere. I enjoy the community here but I have to be frugal in this economy and if I can see a way to save $10.00 then I will.

I'm all for a donation button and a supporter's badge. That is strictly voluntary and IMO wouldn't promote the elitist mentality as it wouldn't afford you any additional rights or privilidges.

And to say you wouldn't miss those that left because of the subscription doesn't make sense either. Does the fact that you paid a subscription somehow make you a better person or more credible? Or the fact that you choose not to pay make you less credible? Frankly, I take offense to a couple of the comments made here. Bottom line, I value a dollar and I look for ways to save one. One way I do that is by not paying for things I don't need to pay for. Someone is going to judge me simply by my ability or willingness to pay a subcription? If that's the case, I won't miss you.

Rider

thebeardedone
07-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Isn't the valuable info on this site enough a resource? I mean, I am all for breaking it up into sections and such, but I can't really imagine that anyone would give you anything free for signing up to a resource that already benefits you.

I agree that there doesn't need to be a licence to software, but there does need to be more than what is currently available. But, I also think there shouldn't be a high subscription fee for reasons that I have already stated elsewhere in this thread.

angry_geek
07-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I know I've already spoken my opinion on this subject, but maybe a donation button isn't a bad idea. I've seen other sites where they have this. Once you donate, you have access to other sections and resources not available to the free membership. However, I don't think you should just be able to donate $1.00 and have access to everything for life. There would need to be terms. And I still think regular paid subscribers should have some benefit over the free members. Other sections of the forum, whatever.

@Bryce I think a lot of people are forgetting that you have to pay something to make this site available to us. How much do you shell out for hosting, registration, etc? How much time do you put into maintaining the site each month? I think if people were made aware of your own investment into TN, they may change their attitudes.

basic
07-22-2009, 12:00 AM
I know I've already spoken my opinion on this subject, but maybe a donation button isn't a bad idea. I've seen other sites where they have this. Once you donate, you have access to other sections and resources not available to the free membership. However, I don't think you should just be able to donate $1.00 and have access to everything for life. There would need to be terms. And I still think regular paid subscribers should have some benefit over the free members. Other sections of the forum, whatever.

@Bryce I think a lot of people are forgetting that you have to pay something to make this site available to us. How much do you shell out for hosting, registration, etc? How much time do you put into maintaining the site each month? I think if people were made aware of your own investment into TN, they may change their attitudes.

Disclaimer: I take neither side because whatever decision is made will make no impact on whether or not I continue to be a part of this community.

I don't think that any of the people are, necessarily, against a subscription based system. However, I think they don't like the rationale some are using to impose a subscription fee. If Bryce came out and said, "I'm having difficulty continuing to pay for the costs of hosting and maintaining this site and will start a subscription to help cover those costs," no body would argue and many people would gladly pay. However, some of the rationale given, like keeping certain people out or...if you are against a high subscription rate, you are less valuable member, is ludicrous.

Everyone values a dollar differently. Sure you may live in the most expensive city but usually the median household income is higher than somebody from a small town. Things usually even out to a degree. A subscription fee, however, is a set rate that does not factor in cost of living. So $20 for one person can have varying impacts for people living in disparate regions. (Although I don't know if we have many outside of the states and the UK, this is probably especially true for people that live in other countries with struggling economies and where their local currency is not as strong as the American dollar.)

ITG Tech
07-22-2009, 03:22 PM
@ everyone !
Please read this a couple of time before you decide on this issue.

What is Technibble? Technibble is a resource for computer technicians who are looking to start their own computer business or improve their existing one. Technibble also provides an amazing place for technicians to help other technicians via our forums.

Before we voice our opinions are we speaking only for ourselves as an individual business owner, or have we put any thought into the possibility that we should be considering what is good for the entire spectrum of members of this forum? Take a walk in the other guy’s shoes for a moment and consider that his/her current business situation may be different than yours.
:)

Blues
07-22-2009, 03:40 PM
If TN were to begin a pay service I would leave most of the forums as they are open to public and free. I would then look at what type of content TN could then offer on a paid subscription basis. What ever the content we add that is under the paid subscription, if it is ever done, I believe would need to be able to hold its own value something to help incline people to subscribe.

Bryce W
07-22-2009, 05:10 PM
I would do something closer to what Blue said which is keeping what is publically accessible now still available (with the exception of maybe the scripting forum) and then have the subscriptions for extra stuff.

Blues
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
I think more than just that should go private. Just my opinion.

I think it would be worth considering locking some sections to the public besides that but it does seem like it would be at the top of the list.

thecoldone06
07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Not exactly sure how it works but if you start locking different forums can Google index them? Not sure how many of you found TN but I found it searching Google for an issue I was having. If you start locking forums, your not going to get new subscribers because they won't be able to find it as easily.

Bryce W
07-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Google wont be able to see hidden forums. As I mentioned before, so far I think that everything is currently available will remain available (with possibly the exception of the subscription forums) and the paid stuff will be extras.

Being an open and non-exclusive community is what built this place so I want to keep things open.

computergeek1
07-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Google wont be able to see hidden forums. As I mentioned before, so far I think that everything is currently available will remain available (with possibly the exception of the subscription forums) and the paid stuff will be extras.

Being an open and non-exclusive community is what built this place so I want to keep things open.

I accept your decision bryce, and think you are making the right decision. what things can we expect to see for our subscription.

nibblesandbits
07-24-2009, 11:10 PM
How about a "tiered" system? Pay yearly. $20/year gets you access to the SAME forums as currently available but under a "Silver Membership" category. This will allow the people who are here to use the forums appropriately weed out the wannabe technicians that don't find this site "that valuable". Then why not do the same with gold and platinum? Make Gold $50 / year and platinum $75 / year then you know the people in the "platinum" section are people like ACG who have the money to afford it and are therefore, probably the techs that know the most and get most annoyed by the PTs and non-techs. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, hadn't made it to Bryce's decision before I posted, I was still on page 5. I second whatever Bryce decides. :)

Blues
07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
I have the money to afford those others but at the time I don't see enough added value. I may just be used to this being free as is and there are sections I would miss and consider paying for but I need more substance or a very low fee to consider it. I would suggest monthly fees over yearly people are more hesitant with yearly for 2 reasons. The first reason is your comminting to it for a full year and you are concerned you will regret it and be out of pocket for a whole years subcription you never used. The second reason is that you are making on large lump payment and most people hate to part with alot of money at once. I would say allow people to do a full year subscription at a discounted rate and then do monthly for others. Due to peoples increased willingness to part with smaller amounts over time they can add up to larger amounts thus can be more profitable for Bryce having the monthly options. I think to leave alot of what is free and open as it is would be a great way to draw in the crowd then to just cut it off and charge people. It would be more likely to bring in paying customers with and open public section and taste and teases of the subcription content.