PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using Bing?

ProTech Support
06-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Was wondering if anyone has tried or is actively using Bing.com? What do you think about it? Is Microsoft now an actual competitor to Google?

I tried it for awhile, but to me it still has that Windows Live feel that I just can't seem to mesh with. Yea, it looks pretty, but I am just not feeling its functionality.

anonymous Mac Tech
06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Was wondering if anyone has tried or is actively using Bing.com? What do you think about it? Is Microsoft now an actual competitor to Google?

It seems very Microsoft biased to me. I decided to see the differences between google and bing as far as similarities for results. For example do a search on bing for a+ certified technician, the results are as follows:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=a%2B+certified+technician&go=&form=QBLH

Unless you are a sponsor the results are very Microsoft centered based upon the query.

A similar search in google provides you with:
http://www.google.com/search?q=a%2B+certified+technician&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

A much more unbiased results list in my opinion.

But otherwise I do like the fact that in bing you can mouse over to the right side of the results and it will open up a preview of the result so you can get more info about the result without going into the link and then backing out.

As far as being competitive with google, I think bing showed up late to the party, but bing does have the power of M$ behind it so I'm sure it will be the built-in default search provider built into future versions of IE. ;)

0gr3
06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm too in love with google to step away, I was always raised to never cheat on my browsers:p looks neat enough but never used it enough to compare the two.

ProTech Support
06-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm too in love with google to step away, I was always raised to never cheat on my browsers:p

You really need to go outside haha

thebeardedone
06-18-2009, 08:44 PM

It's good ...

But It's Not Google

:D

anonymous Mac Tech
06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
It's good ...

But It's Not Google

:D

That's great! Google should use that in their ad campaign against bing, and distribute royalties for coming up with that accordingly. :D

ProTech Support
06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
That's great! Google should use that in their ad campaign against bing, and distribute royalties for coming up with that accordingly. :D

Yea that was really good...send it to Google.

Doctor Micro
06-18-2009, 09:32 PM
One thing I discovered from reading another blog is that it (bing) is better at filtering out explicit images, even when the user turns off filtering. If the user really wants the heavy-duty smut, they have to know to go to a specific bing URL (which I will not list here for obvious reasons), which is not easily discovered or documented for the casual user.

There is also a website (http://www.blackdog.ie/google-bing/) where you can input the same search term and it will show you the results from Google and Bing side by side.

C6Gunner
06-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I personally like 'GOOGLING'. I just can't see myself 'BINGING'... :p

Kenhelms
06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I wanna know who thought up the name "bing"

C6Gunner
06-18-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't know who thought it up, but they got paid very well by M$ for coming up with it I'm sure!

Methical
06-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Reminds me of 'Chandler Bing' off Friends.

@TheBeardedOne
Copyright and TradeMark that !
Thats brilliant ! Million dollars right there lol !

seedubya
06-18-2009, 10:59 PM
or as he was occaisonally known

"Ms. Chanandler Bong"....

hondablaster
06-19-2009, 05:38 AM
I used bing for a day. Its pretty crappy, no offense if anyone likes it. It gives alot of "commercial" results. I cant describe the feeling. Its nothing like google.

NYJimbo
06-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I hate it. Besides, Bing has arrived to late in the game...

Hopefully MS will realize it sucks and do what they did with "Bob":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

'Despite its ambitious nature, Bob was one of Microsoft's more visible product failures. Microsoft's Steve Ballmer named Bob as "one project we had undertaken ... where we decided that we have not succeeded and let's stop".' :D

BerthaControl
06-20-2009, 09:31 PM
I used bing for a day. Its pretty crappy, no offense if anyone likes it. It gives alot of "commercial" results. I cant describe the feeling. Its nothing like google.

I agree. I think it is a lot of hype with a large share of buzz marketing behind it..but I can never leave Google for Bing. It will fizzle out. I guess one good thing that has come out of all this is Microsoft might finally have a search engine that is a tad more useful than MSN. Ohhh...I don't even want to get started on that. Google and Google Chrome keep me happy.

Luis
06-22-2009, 03:02 AM
I was 9 when I got my first PC back in 96' and back then AOL was all i ever knew. Once I got broadband I found yahoo and its been yahoo ever since. I like the Yahoooooooo! guy that sings. But when I need to do some real research or find something that I can't usually find on yahoo Google is my wing man. I went to Bing and was turned off by the full page graphics. I Felt forced into it. I guess bing is tailored more towards the consumer who frequently shops online.

homeloans
07-01-2009, 06:19 AM
I am using bing. I think its fine. But my first preference is google.

MrUnknown
07-01-2009, 10:07 AM
I am using bing. I think its fine. But my first preference is google.

please die.

Blues
07-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Off topic but should we have rules to maybe some unrelated advertising via signatures? Can we limit links in sigs to post count or hide sigs until a certain post count?