PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my website

manderso
06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I've spent some time on my website, and hope that you might provide some criticism and thoughts for improving it. Thanks very much. The link is in my signature.

thecoldone06
06-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I like the site. I'm not a huge fan of the services page. If it were me, I would probably structure it differently. The links for Performance Optimization and network consultation don't work.

I'm in FF but the tab for Partners seems to drop the window down just enough to force a scroll bar which doesn't scroll much. All the other tabs, the window stays put.

Other than that, great site!

cmonova
06-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Need to work on the pages so they don't jump up and down when different tabs are clicked on.

I would probably change "thoughts" to blog. It basically takes you away from the page. A customer might not have an idea what they are looking at. I would sepearate it.

The page with the network security camera and the "white paper" takes you off the site completely. Need to make it open in new window. Also, do that for any other links.

Partners re-size the logos they are not looking correct.

Make the contact tab go to a page with a "form" not open in an e-mail program.

Does not look like any meta tags throughout the site but that can be worked on last.

My 2 cents worth.

dhrandy
06-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Seems pretty plain. Almost like a generic free template.

seedubya
06-17-2009, 01:17 AM

It is a generic free template, but I still like it

http://andreasviklund.com/

ESIT251
06-17-2009, 01:26 AM
First impression is that is looks professional (first impression being the most important in web design IMO)

Most of your customers will not know you used a template so that doesn't matter; now if you ever start offering web design I would first remake your site with an original design. I used a template at first to get me going then I took it down and built a new site from scratch.

manderso
06-17-2009, 03:35 AM

It is. Found on http://www.oswd.org/.

As for the fixes, thanks very much. I'll be making the updates over the next few days.

angry_geek
06-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Overall, I like it. It's clean, loads fast, and is easy to navigate. My one hangup is the image at the top of your home page. Not sure I like it too much, and I can't tell how it pertains to your business.

ICEinLAVA
06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
I would indet or center the welcome message in the blurred out image area, as long as it stays to one line. the W in Welcome is too close to the edge of the image.

I would change your contact link to a form that doesn't give your email address away to prevent as much spam mail. the way you have it allows spammers to gather your email address using online tools to add to a list. Or you and make the email address an image and not make it a link, which is a pain for people to use customers and spammers alike.

as for other suggestions, i will have to look at this later as i have to run.

OfficerLahey
06-17-2009, 11:32 AM
for the welcome message, add this to your css code:

#desc h3 {
padding: 15px 0px 0 5px;
color: #ffffff;
}

will indent the heading 15 pixels from the top, and 5pixels from the left.

nagidar
06-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I like it..looks good

manderso
06-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, I've updated a lot, please take another look if you will.
I'm trying to get the contact form to work, as it stands, the button just launches the mail client again. I'm working on it.
Does the graphic work better for the site?
Thanks again.

jdhaines
06-17-2009, 06:01 PM
1) When any of the first three tabs are active, clicking the "contact" tab moves you to the contact page with an email form. If you click the "contact" tab when any of the last three tabs are active it links straight to a "mailto" link which opens an email editor, which defeats the purpose of an email form.

2) If you make it to the actual contact tab, the last text box is wider than your center template area and extends into the dark grey.

3) No easy way back to your website once you get to your blog. Perhaps a link at the top, or make the blog open in a new window.

4) The white text "Serving all of Atlanta" on the header image is in front of the white cable which makes it almost impossible to read.

5) On the "Solutions" and "About" tabs, you have links to validate your XHTML and CSS. I'm not sure why a visiting potential customer would care if your CSS validates. If you want to keep it, make sure it is on all pages.

6) Clicking on the "Services" tab makes the whole page shift to the right slightly, while all of the other tabs leave it steady.

Using FF3.5b99. Hope this helps.

theFakeGeek
06-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Some of my critiques: :)

1) For your banner image right now the white doesn't stand out enough. Try darkening your background image in photoshop.
2) From your blog: "Come here. Yea you, come here and fix my crap." Not very professional. Make sure your spelling and grammar are perfect and professional, even if it's just the blog.
3) Resize your Partner logos properly. Right now they are squashed and look cheap.
4) For your service descriptions try to stick with big bullet points. People are coming to your site because they have a problem they want you to solve. They don't want to face a big block of text.
5) Building on the last point, on your main page you should offer something like a FREE consultation (at least on the phone) to find out what the problem is. People love that because it means they don't have to choose a service, you promise to do it for them.

manderso
06-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Bit of an update. If you feel like it, please check it out.

I think I got my form fixed, and moved a bunch of links. I need to figure out SEO, and any help you can give would be helpful.

Thanks for looking.

angry_geek
06-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I like that image a lot better. Site looks good, clean, loads fast. The only thing I see as an issue is that your text seems to get washed out in the header image. Maybe try a more contrasting color or move the text to the upper right corner of the image where you have a more constant and darker backdrop.

stevenamills
06-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Bit of an update. If you feel like it, please check it out.

I think I got my form fixed, and moved a bunch of links. I need to figure out SEO, and any help you can give would be helpful.

Thanks for looking.

I know a lot of commenter s here on the forum don't understand/appreciate the advantages of using WP. Since your blog is already powered by WP, you might consider bringing everything under WP.

Things like forms, maintenance and SEO become easier.