PDA

View Full Version : VirtualBox

anonymous Mac Tech
06-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Just thought I'd throw this out to any Mac users who may want to run Windows on their Mac but don't want to run Boot Camp on a separate partition or don't want to pay the price for VMWare fusion or Parallels to run a Windows Virtual Machine. This is not only for Mac People but also Windows, Linux, and OpenSolaris hosts for use with all kinds of guest OSs. Its an open source project by Sun Microsystems.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

ProTech Support
06-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I actually heard about this a couple of weeks ago, meant to give it a test drive, but just haven't had the chance. Have you used it?

anonymous Mac Tech
06-11-2009, 03:18 PM
No I haven't yet. Right now I'm running Windows 7 through a bootcamp partition on my macbook. I was thinking about getting really creative and trying it and run some flavor of Linux through a virtual machine and giving this a shot. Just another one of those when I find time to tinker with my own stuff for experimenting.

ProTech Support
06-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Yea I actually just decided to try again with Linux, I think I will try to kill 2 birds with one stone. Going to use this to run Ubuntu on Windows 7, see how that works out.

anonymous Mac Tech
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Yea I actually just decided to try again with Linux, I think I will try to kill 2 birds with one stone. Going to use this to run Ubuntu on Windows 7, see how that works out.

I'd be interested to hear how that works out.

MrUnknown
06-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I use virtualbox to run all of my VMs, the only issue I have had is that my XP VM sometimes crashes when I shut it down. Well, correction, XP doesn't crash but VirtualBox's instance of that VM will crash after the XP system has fully shut down and needs to be turned off.

anonymous Mac Tech
06-11-2009, 05:29 PM
I use virtualbox to run all of my VMs, the only issue I have had is that my XP VM sometimes crashes when I shut it down. Well, correction, XP doesn't crash but VirtualBox's instance of that VM will crash after the XP system has fully shut down and needs to be turned off.

Thanks for the input. But generally you like it besides the crash?

manderso
06-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm using it on my Macbook to run XP lightly. It doesn't see much use, but when it does, it performs like I expect a VM to perform on a machine with 2gb of RAM, slowly.

purple_minion
06-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I use it all the time and it's the best thing since sliced bread! Not that sliced bread is all that, but it is really nice.

AtYourService
06-19-2009, 02:03 AM
one of the great features is seamless mode, in which you can intertwine the guest os's windows with the host machine