PDA

View Full Version : Need your help!!!!

rtorres15
06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I have three xp pro computers on a home network sharing the internet connection from a wireless router(dsl). I need to stop one pc from accessing utorrent and slowing my connection how can i accomplish this??

bitznpcz
06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
can you find the port they are using for Utorrent and block that in the router? Your router may have an access restrictions setting...

I think that you can set Utorrent to use random ports so it may not work.

Or, if your router has QoS it can be changed to reduce the bandwidth used by that computer.

Or, you could always install K9 protection which should block it.

DanF
06-05-2009, 01:57 PM
As bitznpcz said, just don't port forward to that pc. On your router settings, under applications settings (or whatever it's called), you can give permission to certain applications to use a specific port. Assign the ports for the Utorrent application for only the IPs of those two systems you'd like Utorrent to run on. Remember that you should have a static IP address on each system.

My guess is that it would still be able to download stuff, but it will me very limited as the port would be blocked by the router. At this statement, I'd like to ask for the experienced techies here, why does the application still download (at slow speeds), even if the specific port is blocked on the router.

CentiZen
06-05-2009, 02:06 PM
It's not that the port is _blocked_ persay, its just not forwarded. Data can still go in and out on unforwarded ports. The only way to block a port is with a firewall type program, and then the program would totally be unable to download.

DanF
06-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh ok, that was just common sense then hehehe. Thanks CentiZen.

PatrickB
06-05-2009, 03:48 PM
rtorres, If your router does not already support QOS, you may be able to use DD-WRT firmware on your router to give it QOS support.

QOS: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

Supported Routers: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/community/hardware.html

-- Patrick B.

rtorres15
06-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I just installed ddwrt and will post here with any further questions, thanks a lot for all the help, and yes this is my personal network and pcs. I lend my laptop to my brother and he likes to download just a tad bit to the point where i cant stream media at all.

purple_minion
06-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I just installed ddwrt and will post here with any further questions, thanks a lot for all the help, and yes this is my personal network and pcs. I lend my laptop to my brother and he likes to download just a tad bit to the point where i cant stream media at all.

You should be more worried about what the legal implications are then the media streaming. Anyway the way a router works is that without port forwarding a router doesn't know who a brand new incoming port packet is for, however if the router see a connection from your internal lan going out to somewhere it expects a reply and so forwards that packet. Also some routers have uPnP so that lan applications can talk to it and enable ports to be forwarded. Look it up.

rtorres15
06-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I stream media from youtube,hulu very legal sources so no legal implications here and He downloads music he pays for from Itunes.No legal implications to worry about. thanks for your help though purple_minion.

seedubya
06-07-2009, 01:03 PM
He downloads music he pays for from Itunes.

I didn't realise that Apple had started delivering iTunes content via uTorrent. Wow!! What a great development!

purple_minion
06-07-2009, 04:01 PM
I didn't realise that Apple had started delivering iTunes content via uTorrent. Wow!! What a great development!

It would certainly save on distribution costs wouldn't it! Perhaps he's just torrenting the up and coming free artists that simply want to get their name out there. Or maybe he is a linux lover like me, and always downloading something new... if so he's gonna know more about blocking the ports and the router then you. Also a normal cd is around 60-70mb, which should be done with really quick, unless he's torrenting through dial-up.

A more useful solution is throttling your torrent application. I can't tell you how many people try and download the internet all at once. You need to set an upload limit, I set mine at 35k/s and I can get about 50-60k/s upload speed. It's critical to set the upload speed or you will choke EVERYTHING. Also set a connection limit so you are not trying to connect to 1000 people at once. My old routers CHOKED on anything over 150. Finally don't queue 30 torrents at once and have them all running, two, maybe three at once if they are all slow. Also I agree QoS can help with latency sensitive issues. YMMV, good luck on downloading your itunes songs.

thor999
06-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Haha you are so busted man! I'm calling Steve Jobs right now :D At least check into peerguardian, dl'ing via torrents is like dangling your jimmy in a croc tank.