PDA

View Full Version : advent sound fault

fingers
06-03-2009, 04:22 PM
hi all

i have a advent 7105pa on the work bench, with a sound fault when you play a cd or music from the samole music it play's for a few seconds and then starts with a clicking sound. when you stop the music the clicking continuse.
i noticed at boot up an error message. pex e61 media error check cable. i have searched google and got a lot of different things like bios is wrong ect.
do you think there is a loose cable. i would like your apinions before i strip it down.

angry_geek
06-03-2009, 04:43 PM
The boot up error is typical of either a failing drive or corrupt boot record. It could also be caused by a bad optical drive if bios is attempting to boot from it first. I would reset bios first, then set the hdd as first boot device to see if that gets rid of the error. This could potentially be a serious or very minor error. If the error still persists after setting hdd for first boot, you need to back up the customer's hdd and run chkdsk.

Judging from the quality of those machines, it's possible it's a loose cable. However, I doubt it being a laptop. The clicking along with the boot error is leading me to suspect a bad optical drive. You might try unplugging the odd altogether and plugging in a usb odd. See if that gets rid of your problems.

fingers
06-03-2009, 05:50 PM
The boot up error is typical of either a failing drive or corrupt boot record. It could also be caused by a bad optical drive if bios is attempting to boot from it first. I would reset bios first, then set the hdd as first boot device to see if that gets rid of the error. This could potentially be a serious or very minor error. If the error still persists after setting hdd for first boot, you need to back up the customer's hdd and run chkdsk.

Judging from the quality of those machines, it's possible it's a loose cable. However, I doubt it being a laptop. The clicking along with the boot error is leading me to suspect a bad optical drive. You might try unplugging the odd altogether and plugging in a usb odd. See if that gets rid of your problems.

thanks for your reply i wanted to add a bit more info the clicking sound is over the speakers like a skipping disk but it does it with the sample music in windows. i will try changing the boot order in bios first.

angry_geek
06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Well that changes a few things, at least for the clicking sound. If the sound is only occurring when music or other sounds are being played, I would think driver or hardware problem. If it happens all the time, there may be a short or something wrong with the speakers. Could you specify? The boot error, though, still has me with my original thought.

angry_geek
06-03-2009, 06:07 PM
The audio chip for that model is the Realtek AC'97 audio. You might try downloading the drivers from realtek's site.

fingers
06-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Well that changes a few things, at least for the clicking sound. If the sound is only occurring when music or other sounds are being played, I would think driver or hardware problem. If it happens all the time, there may be a short or something wrong with the speakers. Could you specify? The boot error, though, still has me with my original thought.

you were right there is a short in the speaker wire, just need a good Disassemble manual if anyone nows a good place i have tried the advent web site but only the basic upgrade stuff. thanks angry geek.

angry_geek
06-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure where you'll find a manual for that model. Maybe ecs's website. If you can't find one, draw a diagram of where the screws go. Then start pulling them and lay them out on your diagram.