PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft offering free TechNet Plus subscription

MM PC Solutions
06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
As many of you would know, TechNet Plus is a Microsoft service which offers full, legitimate versions of software to IT professionals (or whoever wants to pay for it). The subscription usually saps your wallet for $349 US, if you only want downloads, or $599 if you'd like disc versions too. However, as you can see, this is pretty pricey... the good news is, if you live in the US, the UK or Canada, our friendly Redmond-based software company has you covered.

you will need the following information: First name, last lame, street address, city/town, state, postal code, email, and contact phone number. You'll obviously need a valid address if you wish to get CD/DVD media, but otherwise you can use any for the direct software downloads.

Free Technet US (https://om2.one.microsoft.com/offer/technet_na.aspx)
Free Technet UK (https://om2.one.microsoft.com/offer/technet_emea.aspx)
Free Technet Canada (https://om2.one.microsoft.com/offer/technet_can.aspx)

Once that's all done, you'll need to do a few more things before you have a wealth of freebies within your grasps:

1. Sign In: Visit the TechNet Subscriptions Benefits Portal (you may be prompted to re-sign in using your Windows Live ID).
2. Register: You will be required to enter your first name, last name, e-mail address (exactly as they appear in your "Ship to" information) and Benefit Access Number: XXXXXXXXXX and accept the license terms.
3. Access Benefits: Once you have completed the registration, you will be able to access your online benefits, including Subscriber Downloads from the TechNet Subscriptions Management page. Each time you visit you will sign in using your Windows Live ID.

Update
I am now hearing that this is part of a pilot program that is set to expire on September 30, 2009, which means it's more of a three month deal, but hey, free is free! Currently, the expiration date reads "1/1/1900" but Microsoft is working on fixing that.

Source: arstechnica (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/free-one-year-technet-plus-subscription.ars?utm_source=microblogging&utm_medium=arstch&utm_term=Main%20Account&utm_campaign=microblogging)

Well, I signed up for it & have received my first email from Microsoft with regards to this.

Hopefully this will be useful for others.

rtorres15
06-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Quick questions on this, Why do they provide you with Keys?? Is it full versions of the softwares or what? Whats the purpose of them? Or is it on a time period limit??

MrUnknown
06-03-2009, 10:55 AM
full versions for TESTING purposes. You can't use them to setup production systems or use them for your personal machines that you use every day. For testing this is great because they offer volume license keys, retail keys, etc. so you are able to test many different environments.

But if you are trying to learn Server 2008 with Vista, XP and 7 clients, you can set them all up in some VMs (or real machines) and fiddle to your heart's content. This is what I use it for.

Just don't download and install Server 2008 and decide to offer hosting for your clients on it.

vontreigo
06-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I keep getting "Error Processing Request" while completing the order.

boo... I say BOO!

MM PC Solutions
06-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I keep getting "Error Processing Request" while completing the order.

boo... I say BOO!

The servers are taking a hammering at the moment, anyone who reads tech sites will be signing up for this.

ProTech Support
06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Error for me too, will try later in the day.

Jory
06-03-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6889

We've been talking about this since last night. If you check my posts one of them has directions for generating a bunch of keys and saving them out. So far I've downloaded Vista 64 SP2, XP Home Retail, XP Pro Retail, XP 64 Retail, and Vista 32 SP2 is downloading now. I'd suggest hitting up the Vista ISO's first since they're likely to work with OEM keys.

jaydude23
06-03-2009, 06:31 PM
It seems the links are no longer active. At least they are not working for me. Just my luck. Anyone have any alternate links for this?

rusty.nells
06-03-2009, 07:13 PM
It seems the links are no longer active. At least they are not working for me. Just my luck. Anyone have any alternate links for this?

This has been posted EVERYWHERE, the sites are probably getting hammered. Keep trying.

Downloadsquad.com (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/06/03/microsoft-gets-drunk-gives-away-technet-subscriptions/) has three links posted for US (https://om2.one.microsoft.com/offer/technet_na.aspx), Canada (https://om2.one.microsoft.com/offer/technet_can.aspx)and UK (https://om2.one.microsoft.com/offer/technet_emea.aspx).

angry_geek
06-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Why do we have 2 threads going about this? Maybe we can consolidate?

acs
06-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I have been down loading various since this morning and it is still going strong for me. Also genearted a few keys to use. I have just upgraded my main PC so some of these will be going to test on my old pc.
The problems may be with the sign up link but once you have your codes the downloads working well

ProTech Support
06-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I actually tried the other thread last night and it gave me some crazy error that based on my answers I did not qualify...I didn't answer any questions I just clicked the link.

This one allows me to fill out the form, just gives me an error when it process, which I would assume is from the hammering.

MrUnknown
06-04-2009, 02:05 AM
you guys posting the link to forums killed it.

TechNet Plus is temporarily offline for the pilot program.

Thank you all for your wonderful interest and energy around the TechNet Plus Pilot Study. We have halted recruiting for the TechNet Plus pilot program after having reached our quotas for all intended markets. Unfortunately, one of the study participants posted the TechNet Plus registration link on a public blog in direct violation of the terms and conditions agreed to at the start of the study and for membership in ITAC.

The TechNet Plus links have been deactivated. The TechNet Plus site is currently offline for pilot participants while we mitigate the issues resulting from this situation. Please bear with us.

We need to remind everyone on ITAC and in the TechNet Plus study that participation in the portal and the various research studies/pilot programs launched on ITAC is governed by terms and conditions that prevent the sharing of proprietary study information with outside entities. All of you are privy to private, non-public and proprietary information while on ITAC and we are sorry to say that sharing information presented to you by Intrepid or our clients, is in violation of the agreements that each one of you signed upon entering.

Again, we are grateful for everyone's participation and enthusiasm, this situation has just served as a reminder to us all.

Kindest Regards,

Intrepid ITAC Team

iptech
06-04-2009, 02:11 AM
you guys posting the link to forums killed it.
Why? Technet is aimed at computer professionals, just like this site.

It's certainly been abused elsewhere, but I would have thought the intended target audience for this site would have been ideal candidates.

l337
06-04-2009, 02:37 AM
did technet nuke all members that subscribed to this program cause i was able to login using my live id now i dont seem to be able to lol..

Daifne
06-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Mine's still letting me login, but the key and download servers both seem to be down. Can't get anything right now.

But, I'm a Microsoft Partner and did sign up before arstechnica released this. I was actually planning on buying the membership yesterday before this came up and will be buying it when this expires.

Jory
06-04-2009, 02:54 AM
I can login, but if I go to download I get an error screen. I'm guessing they nuked everyone.

MrUnknown
06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean those on this forum. either way, it was an invite-only program apparently. Also people were posting links to actually "purchase" the subscription for free. So those on the other forums like FatWallet and such really ruined it.

Nevermind the fact that the company who is supposed to manage it completely failed. Their contact emails do not even work.

NYJimbo
06-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I can get all the way to the download screen, however the "keys" and "download" links are grayed out. I got alot of stuff last night, worth staying up until 2am to do it.

LunchBox
06-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Dang it I new I should have downloaded Server 2003 R2 Small Business Edition. I need that so I can learn and practice and support clients that have it. Oh well.

rtorres15
06-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Luckily i managed to download many Isos before it went offline

reesk92
06-04-2009, 12:23 PM
man so basically weve all slammed the ms iso servers into the ground thats just great.

is there anyone willing to upload some of their isos privatley for the technibble users i can upload anything i managed to get although i didnt get many serials

purple_minion
06-05-2009, 12:36 AM
I just noticed that EVERYTHING is greyed out, does that mean mine is canceled? Well it's STILL downloading, and I added EVERYTHING to my queue. Cross fingers, knock on laminate. So far I have downloaded 80GB. I need to get my new 1TB drive going soon, only 60GB left on this one.

l337
06-05-2009, 06:55 AM
the word is that ms is manually going through the accounts registerd. and some will be reinstated others wont. im wondering whats going to happen to the keys generated by the deleted technet accounts (aka mine). my microsoft trusting self backed up all the keys i generated and they still activate im just wondering how long if/till they will be blacklisted

well heres some good info posted by rusty in another thread

This may explain it (http://blog.kristankenney.com/2009/06/04/the-free-microsoft-technet-subscription-that-wasnt-meant-to-be/)
(http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/06/04/download-from-technet-yesterday-youre-a-dirty-pirate-says-ms/)

rtorres15
06-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I wonder if the ISOs are still usable for legitimate repair reinstalls, incase customer lost the original cd?

seedubya
06-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I wonder if the ISOs are still usable for legitimate repair reinstalls, incase customer lost the original cd?

Almost certainly yes. MS doesn't have any way to prevent certain CD types from working. If they did, and used it, every major OEM's CDs would stop working simultaneously.

l337
06-05-2009, 12:42 PM
yea the isos are still good theres no way for them to be blacklisted lol.

im happy i just got my vista sp2 x86 install disk just in time lol

and on a random note.. just trying to activate and xp install atm (a legit coa not one from technet) and get an activation error. so wring the tel number and the customer service guy told me hes unable to login the activation servers are down. and to try again in 13 mins (this was over 4 hours ago and it still wont activate)

so im thinking maybe they are nuking the technet keys as we speak... im totally speculating but its food for thought lol

reesk92
06-05-2009, 06:55 PM
hmm ive just gone into technet and it has acepted my reg details again but there aparently doing maintnece so i cant access my serials i wonder what this has got to do with recent events i bet there tightining security or rescticting what the false members can do

Pc Fixed Right
06-06-2009, 02:18 AM
bah mine is now greyed out as well I got a few isos out of the deal

purple_minion
06-06-2009, 03:48 AM
bah mine is now greyed out as well I got a few isos out of the deal

You should have clicked like crazy, I got every iso in my queue and keys for I think everything, though there is still no official word on blacklisting them. Always a crack I guess. Hopefully the downloads continue. Whenever you get an opportunity you run with it! ;)