PDA

View Full Version : How about a "Remote Support" forum ?

NYJimbo
06-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I think we could really use a "Remote Support" forum. Something that is dedicated to discussing remote support software, help with programs, tricks, tips, etc.

Seems like alot of threads are started about this kind of thing and if we had something more organized it would be easier to research the subject or keep up on new resources that become available to this part of the business.

abe
06-01-2009, 05:40 PM
great idea the questions regarding remote support have been all over the place

ITG Tech
06-03-2009, 11:53 AM
I think that the ability to provide service remotely will be a value added feature for our clients. It will also provide additional resources to obtain more work as it can be incorporated into maintenance agreements. I use a variety of things to remotely support some of my clients. I am for it!:)

Bryce W
06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Ill add it. There are definitely enough threads all over the place to warrant it.

pcmac
06-03-2009, 01:32 PM
what do you run on linux box?
I am using Xandros business ed 4.01

run a Linux box on your end so that way if the Windows machine is somehow infected, it won't pass over onto your machine

I agree that it is a great idea.

I personally use UltraVNC SC (Single Click) for the customer to use, which sets up a temporary VNC Server on their PC and uses a reverse VNC connection to my Windows PC, which is listening with UltraVNC 1.0.5.6. Creating this is very easy to do. If you don't have a static IP address, (I have one), then you should also setup dynamic DNS from DynDNS.org so that you get a hostname from them to use, and which you can com;ile into the UltraVNC SC.

Lastly, you'll need to setup some port forwarding to your machine in your router and also make sure that your router always assigns the same NAT address (i.e. 192.168.1.10) to your machine that is running the UltraVNC Server in listening mode.

As a side note, if you want extra security, you can compile encryption into the UltraVNC SC and also run it on your end as well. If you want even more security, run a Linux box on your end so that way if the Windows machine is somehow infected, it won't pass over onto your machine since you aren't running Windows.

Bryce W
06-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Remote support forum has now been created.