PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Signal Booster for Laptop

ITG Tech
05-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Just checking in with to see if anyone has any experience with or can recommend anything to increase the wireless connectivity for a laptop. My client’s apartment is located on the fringe of the wireless reception for the apartment complex. The signal strength is not enough to work consistently. I am looking for something that she could plug into the laptop (USB Port) that would act as sort of a repeater or signal booster. Thanks in advance for any help. I did a google check but would rather find our what the Pros here think.:)

Emockler
05-30-2009, 03:11 PM
You can use a linksys wet11 in the best location, connected to the laptop with ethernet.

hondablaster
05-30-2009, 07:37 PM
This is a real post.

I have used both aluminum foil and tin pie pans as signal reflectors.

You can go to you tube and view hundreds of free ideas on this subject.

A. Take a pie pan or foil and cardboard cereal box line it with aluminum foil. Aim the concave side were you will be using it.

B. If your using a USB connectivity device use a pie pan or foil to aim it in the direction of the router needing to be used. Obviously you will need some USB cable.

C. for super long distance use DO BOTH!

works perfectly I have done about a dozen times. When you see the different ideas on you tube with the feedback you will know this works. I even did it with those linksys satellite routers (no antenna)

Its all a matter of aesthetics. Usually I find were businesses keep their routers that's not even an issue.

thepcdude
06-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Could you buy a Wireless extender? I know not the most Cheapest answer :eek: but could be a good way of getting round your problem.

Netgear WGXB102 54 Mbps Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit

AtYourService
06-01-2009, 04:20 AM
get a good card with a high-gain antenna

PatrickB
06-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Use a Wi-Fi card that has an antenna connector on it so you can connect a directional antenna to it and point it toward the Access Point. Google [Wi-Fi cantenna] or sell her an expensive commercial yagi antenna. The Pringle's can antenna looks cool, but the coffee can antenna works better.

Wikipedia has more information on long-range Wi-Fi. The longest unamplified use of Wi-Fi has been over 300 km -- with line of site and great antennas!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

-- Patrick B.

ITG Tech
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am now looking into some of them as a solution to my clients problem. In the end, I may be able to sell her on the idea of just getting the cable company to hook her up with a broadband connection instead of depending on a free signal form the apparment managers office.:rolleyes:

rusty.nells
06-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Perhaps you should contact management and try to sell them on installing some wireless access points around the complex.

ITG Tech
06-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Exellant idea! I knew there was a reason why I keep connected to this forum. I am on that 1st thing in the morning. Thanks!:)