PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostic charges

certifiedtek123
05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
What do you folks charge for these charges.
I charge 35 in shop and 48 on site.

A new competitor is charging 14.95 in shop.

Thanks
certifiedtek

ProTech Support
05-28-2009, 02:07 PM
You know, I don't even charge a diagnostic fee....

The way I look at it, 95% of my customers usually stick with me regardless. I cant justify charging them $40 just to look at the computer and then another $95 to repair. Maybe I am being naive about it, is everyone charging this fee?

heyjim
05-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Generally you charge the Diagnostic Fee if they decide NOT to go through with the solution, this covers you for looking at the computer and they dont get a free diagnostic incase they dont feel like spending the money to solve it.

MM PC Solutions
05-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I charge 30 (note pounds) but this is wavered if the customer agrees for me to repair the computer.

The competitor price that you quote is low.

Either he has not done his homework on what the local competition is charging or he is in for a quick buck!

dhrandy
05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
$39.99 and drop the fee if they want me to correct the problem.

ProTech Support
05-28-2009, 02:53 PM

I actually really like this idea...I think we may start doing this.

pcmac
05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
at least $50 cash upfront, and must sign service contract

MrUnknown
05-28-2009, 03:38 PM
the competitor might keep the $15 diagnostics fee even if they do repair it, which may be why it is cheap.

abe
05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
How long is the competitor in buisness? I'm just wondering if its a tech starting out and will raise price soon.

Abe

usacvlr
05-28-2009, 04:39 PM
We charge 49.95 if a system is left.

What do you folks charge for these charges.
I charge 35 in shop and 48 on site.

A new competitor is charging 14.95 in shop.

Thanks
certifiedtek

ITG Tech
05-28-2009, 05:15 PM
This is what I am working on for my shop. Still trying to tweak and work out the bugs. I appreciate any feedback. I got most of the ideas from this forum.

Diagnostic Fee
A Diagnostic fee is charged for examining your computer.
In Shop: $20 On Site: $40
The fee is paid before any work can be done on the computer.
The fee applies:
If the computer can be repaired and or the repair could be made with replacement parts and the customer elects not to have the work done or purchase the parts.

The fee is waved:
If ITG determines that it cannot fix the computer.

The customer elects to have ITG complete the work and install parts necessary for the repair.

The undersigned customer understands that there will be a diagnostic fee for all repairs. The Diagnostic fee will be refunded if the undersigned agrees to go forth with the work we have quoted them for. If the undersigned customer declines further work, or the repairs we suggest, for any reason, the Diagnostic fee applies.

Client Signature: __________________________________________________ ______
Client Name: __________________________________________________ ___________
Date: _________________________________

markr
05-29-2009, 09:59 PM
$29/diagnostic here

vr6rafal
05-30-2009, 02:03 PM
We only charge $75 diagnostics fee when the repair is refused because parts would be too expensive.

G-Money
05-30-2009, 03:42 PM
What I have been doing is charging a service fee when I go onsite. If I do repairs in the shop I am gonna have I am just gonna charge a hourly. I thought about running some promotions like free PC Tune up to first 10 customers free diagnostic & PC Optimization with repair something along those lines. I think when customers see something that is free the tend to jump on it. If you make the free thing something that doesnt really take much of your time and you are repairing anyway it is a good way to get customers. I look at it like this with PC Optimization you could delete cookies and files things like that just clean it up to run better. Then dignose the issue and fix you are doing all the things that are free during repair anyway. Does this sound kniving im not trying to be it is just business. I havent started that yet but that was my plan.

MM PC Solutions
05-30-2009, 05:22 PM
I thought about running some promotions like free PC Tune up to first 10 customers free diagnostic & PC Optimization with repair something along those lines. I think when customers see something that is free the tend to jump on it. .

Unfortunately "Free" does not put food on the table.

Try not to water down your services, the customer will expect more of the same otherwise.

TechGirl86
06-04-2009, 09:37 PM
in my shop we charge a $49.95 diagnostic fee only if the customer is cheap and doesn't want us to repair it. We cannot simply look at something for free, especially if the problem is not obvious. ( we would never charge a bench fee to someone that brought in a visible defect) It does suck when they decline repair, but hey, nothing you can do about it.

seedubya
06-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Usual story here, €40 in house, €60 onsite. Waived if they decide to go with the repair. Seldom have to charge it. I keep a stock of second-hand systems for the guys who won't repair although it's getting harder to source good S/H stuff as money gets tighter.

MLCS
06-12-2009, 11:01 PM
$35 If they drop it off at the shop and choose not to repair.
$50 If on-site and they choose not to repair.

As others have said, if they do the repairs with me I don't charge those in addition to the services.

I actually run into this a bit. For instance I had a couple towers come in where the PSU and CD-ROM's and HDD's were friend. Evidentally their building had wiring issues and surge protectors weren't on the budget.

Anyway, the PC's were so old they weren't about to drop the money in for all the new parts plus labor when in the end they could afford a new PC. So they decide to go buy a new PC. Well I hope you're all charging them for your time anyway. If they decide to go buy a new PC that's great. You "DID" find the problem, and you "CAN" fix the problem. They just chose a different route.

Only time I wouldn't charge at least a service fee/diagnostic fee is if I wouldn't be able to fix the problem. If for some reason the repair gets the best of me then obviously you shouldn't be charging them for your lack of knowledge.

nibblesandbits
06-13-2009, 01:49 AM
This is how I do things as well. I waive the fee (on the invoice it shows it as waived) if they stick with me on the repair. Otherwise they get an invoice with ONLY the diag. fee of $37.10 (sales tax is $2.10)