PDA

View Full Version : wuauclt.exe

HI-TEKKSOLUTIONS
05-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Something weird is going on and i dont know what it is. I have a customers computer that i cleaned out some viruses and did the basic maint. on. when i start up the computer it runs slow as heck, when you open up a folder and close it, it closes real slow. like from top to bottom, and you have to wait. and it sometimes freezes. I narrowed it down to the wuauclt.exe file which is starting up every time i restart the machine. When i kill that process, the computer starts running like new. I know that it is windows update but i also know it can be a virus. but when i scan that file and open up properties everything looks good. i even tried deleting that file and replacing it, but still the same thing happens. i start the computer and it runs like crap, i delete that process and it runs great. has anyone ran into this before. thanks

iptech
05-27-2009, 05:29 PM
I've come across this before, this is what I did to fix it. the update may have been superceeded but it shouldn't do any harm to re-run it if it has, Windows update will download and install any other updates once it's running properly again!

From the command prompt run "net stop wuauserv" (excluding quotes)

Delete everything in the C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION folder.

From the command prompt run "net start wuauserv" (no quotes)

Next download and install Update for Windows XP (KB927891) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7A81B0CD-A0B9-497E-8A89-404327772E5A&displaylang=en). Restart the computer if/when prompted.

Now from the command prompt run "wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow" (no quotes). This will re-register the computer with the update server and create a new update history.

Good luck, unfortunately it's one of those Windows annoyances that's sent to try us!

HI-TEKKSOLUTIONS
05-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the response, i tried what you said iptech and it worked. like you said, i guess it's just a windows thing.