PDA

View Full Version : Printing Contents of Router's Set-Up

allanc
05-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Does anybody know a quick way to print the contents of *all* of the settings of a router?
Specifically, it is a Dlink DI-604 however, in general, it would be a good tool to have.
If non-default settings could be highlighted - the utility would be even better.
I have been called into a small business site where many techs have been involved.
We would like to consolidate some of the hardware and I need a fast and accurate way to document the settings so that I can determine if I should carry them forward to another router.
Thank you in advance.

05-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately, the only sure-fire way to do this is to screen capture the configuration for each page.
Most routers have an option to back-up the configuration, so you could do that before making changes. If the router is being replaced or removed, that doesn't help, obviously.

Emockler
05-22-2009, 10:51 PM
On many routers there is a way to save the config to a file, that you can reload later if needed. Check the administration tab, where you would update the firmware. Very handy if they use MAC filtering rather than WEP or WPA.

allanc
05-23-2009, 01:47 PM
On many routers there is a way to save the config to a file, that you can reload later if needed. Check the administration tab, where you would update the firmware. Very handy if they use MAC filtering rather than WEP or WPA.
That would be useful.
Thank you.

anonymous Mac Tech
05-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately, the only sure-fire way to do this is to screen capture the configuration for each page.
Most routers have an option to back-up the configuration, so you could do that before making changes. If the router is being replaced or removed, that doesn't help, obviously.

I've had to use the backup and restore function a few times for hard resets. Turns a hard reset into a 2 minute job.;)

allanc
05-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I've had to use the backup and restore function a few times for hard resets. Turns a hard reset into a 2 minute job.;)
In my case, I need to move the functionality of a 4 port Dlink to a 8 port LinkSys.
I think that they are using port forwarding and other fun stuff.
Both routers are both wired only which simplifies things somewhat.

Edson
05-24-2009, 12:22 AM
I use scrapbook firefox add-on to capture the router settings.

As a reference I used this link (http://au.billion.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9748&mode=threaded&pid=66326) to get started.

Hope that helps.

Edson

abe
05-24-2009, 02:50 AM

CAN ONE NOT PRINT THE PAGES to pdf or similar

rusty.nells
05-24-2009, 03:58 AM
If you're using Windows 7, you might try running psr.exe (http://cnettv.cnet.com/screenshots-windows-7/9742-1_53-50005144.html) (Problem Steps Recorder - don't let the name fool you). It's a screen capture tool that saves screen caps and other data to a single *.mht file.

I've only used it briefly, but I think this is perfect for this situation, assuming you can't export the settings.

abe
05-24-2009, 04:04 AM
psr looks great thanks rusty