PDA

View Full Version : firedog diagnostic procedure

eggy53
05-21-2009, 04:02 AM
Here is the scope of work that Circuit City firedog used to diagnose the computers that came to bench.

What do you think, does it cover everything that should be done to completly and correctly diagnose a computer?

purple_minion
05-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Here is the scope of work that Circuit City firedog used to diagnose the computers that came to bench.

What do you think, does it cover everything that should be done to completly and correctly diagnose a computer?

Did you forget something?

MHCG
05-21-2009, 04:14 AM
haha, yeah I was wondering the same thing. I figured he was going to attach a file or something.

abe
05-21-2009, 04:15 AM
it lacks everything :)

please fix it eggy

eggy53
05-21-2009, 04:23 AM
LOL didnt read that the file exceded the size, let me upload it in my home server

here, http://hvsfa.dyndns.org/egmari/diagnose_sow.pdf

angry_geek
05-21-2009, 05:12 AM
It's lacking and too generic. It looks like just what it is: a script that a large organization gives to inexperienced people to pretend to be techs. Every situation is different, and trying to follow a script like this just leads to misdiagnosis and frustrated and overcharged customers. It also completely destroys the ability to learn.

eggy, you know what it's like to call some oem tech support and wind up speaking to someone in bangladesh you can't understand. They're reading something just like this off of a screen. Throw it away. Experience will lead you to a diagnosis method that works best for you. Just remember to always start with the simple stuff. KISS

anonymous Mac Tech
05-21-2009, 05:49 AM
It's lacking and too generic. It looks like just what it is: a script that a large organization gives to inexperienced people to pretend to be techs. Every situation is different, and trying to follow a script like this just leads to misdiagnosis and frustrated and overcharged customers. It also completely destroys the ability to learn.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Its good enough to get you started if you don't know any better. What happens if its not in the script? That happens all the time in the real world. If you're on-site with the customer staring you down, are you going to have your face in that the whole time? It just comes with time and tinkering. Otherwise, a mentor would be ideal if you are lucky enough to find a good one. Even then you will develop a strategy that works best for you.

rusty.nells
05-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Wow...

From the PDF:

"Never reinstall an O/S without speaking the customer first and notifying them of data loss."

I suppose data preservation was not a priority.

eggy53
05-21-2009, 05:54 AM
I never use it while working there, I had to know it, in case my district mananger came to store. But they had "scopes of work" for everything like virus removal, what is funny about their virus removal is that legally (for them) you can only use pre authorized software for customers computer.

angry_geek
05-21-2009, 05:57 AM
I forgot you had worked there, duh. Good read, I'm glad you don't live by it.

You should start a thread about working on systems in PR. I'm sure you've run across situations we haven't seen.

eggy53
05-21-2009, 05:59 AM
I forgot you had worked there, duh. Good read, I'm glad you don't live by it.

You should start a thread about working on systems in PR. I'm sure you've run across situations we haven't seen.

Good Idea about the thread, will have to start thinking about it.

abe
05-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I read it through twice, i do agree it's very basic and is not what any decent tech should do, I'm not saying the steps are wrong just there aren't enough steps and i don't see any real effort to fix the clients pc, BUT what can a big box store do other then give a standard procedure, if they let every idiot who is "freakin' good at computers" try their own tricks they would be in a mess pretty quick, when they are cought doing something wrong then the PR department says "john doe, was not following our company procedures and has since left our........".

Another thing I noticed is that they do not have a step to back up the system before they start the job on it, which is pretty stupid in my opinion.

Abe

ProTech Support
05-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Though I agree it is lacking, you may want to be careful with this document.

The contents of this communication are confidential and proprietary to Circuit City Stores, Inc. and may not be
reproduced, published, or disclosed to others without express authorization of Circuit City Stores, Inc.

Technibble posts seem to show up on Google rather quick, be careful!

abe
05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
who exactly is going to complain, firedog is dead.

ProTech Support
05-21-2009, 03:32 PM
who exactly is going to complain, firedog is dead.

I admit, I completely forgot about that :o

eggy53
05-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Circuitcity.com is coming back in a few days, but was brought by another company which doesn't provide service.

iisjman07
07-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Got any more like this? I find them really funny... I read some geek squad manuals and they were alot worse than this, the geek squad REALLY rely on the MRI - a piece of software that performs everything they need to know automagically