PDA

View Full Version : Computer will not print but no error - tried 3 printers

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey all

Have a Dell Studio laptop in that just won't print to anything. It sends the job to the printer and appears as though it should be printing but just never does. No errors or anything, just doesn't print. Have tried 3 different USB printers now, they all install fine and are being detected fine but wont even print a test page.

Any ideas? Thanks!

oops.. almost forgot.. It's 32-bit Vista

TimeCode
05-19-2009, 03:27 PM
If you go to the specific printer and double click on it to show the print jobs, what do you see?

Jory
05-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Did you check the spool folder to ensure it's empty?

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 03:31 PM
If you go to the specific printer and double click on it to show the print jobs, what do you see?

On one of the printers it would show that the file was printing and stay like that until i canceled the print job... on the printer i am using now it just goes away as if it has printed.

TimeCode
05-19-2009, 04:04 PM
On one of the printers it would show that the file was printing and stay like that until i canceled the print job... on the printer i am using now it just goes away as if it has printed.

Strange. Have you tried turning off print spooling? Or maybe turning it on?

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
I am starting to wonder if it is a permissions issue. It's the only account, and an administrator account, however it will not let me into the UAC menu or the Parental Controls menu.. again no errors or anything, they just wont open. I click on them and nothing. Dunno if it's related... but it's a problem. lol

...maybe vista is just fubar'd

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Strange. Have you tried turning off print spooling? Or maybe turning it on?

Yah the service was running... shut it down and restarted it. nada

why does all this bizzaro crap happen to me? haha

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Did you check the spool folder to ensure it's empty?

yah, and actually tried changing the spooler folder but didn't make a difference

alibabacomputech
05-19-2009, 07:59 PM
hi, did this ever print before if so did you try the system restore to see if that helped

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 08:27 PM
hi, did this ever print before if so did you try the system restore to see if that helped

Apparently it has never printed... so whatever is wrong with it has been that way for quite a while.

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm doing a factory image restore... if THAT doesn't fix it i'm gonna FREAK! lol

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I can't believe it... it did not work. It still will not print! How can this be???

pcbuckman
05-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I've had some problems with Vista and printers too. Go into the printers menu and try to delete unused printers. If you right click on the blank space there should be an options for server properties. Select this and look for printer drivers. Remove the ones you aren't using, but try to delete the printer first. I had the problem one time with a faulty driver basically continually crashing the print spooler. Go to the website for your printer, click on support, and download the latest vista driver. Install the driver and wait until it says to hook up the USB.

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I've had some problems with Vista and printers too. Go into the printers menu and try to delete unused printers. If you right click on the blank space there should be an options for server properties. Select this and look for printer drivers. Remove the ones you aren't using, but try to delete the printer first. I had the problem one time with a faulty driver basically continually crashing the print spooler. Go to the website for your printer, click on support, and download the latest vista driver. Install the driver and wait until it says to hook up the USB.

I did try that all earlier, nothing worked. But I just finished a COMPLETE WINDOWS REINSTALL and still nothing will print. This is amazing.

abe
05-19-2009, 10:33 PM
If a new image restore didn't fix it, I would assume hardware, how do other usb peripharals work sanners external hd's

Crgky127
05-19-2009, 10:43 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
http://www.dopdf.com/

Use one of those to rule out either driver/port/cable/printer or windows.

iptech
05-19-2009, 10:55 PM
It sound like you're missing USB printing support (a virtual print driver).

Goto Device Manager'

Identify your printer from the hardware list, right click the entry and select Update Driver.

From the Update Driver Wizard select the 'Install from a List or
Specific Location'.

DO NOT ALLOW THE WIZARD TO AUTOMATICALLY SEARCH FOR THE DRIVER.

select 'Don't Search I will Choose the Driver to
Install'

Scroll down to select 'USB Printing Support' and proceed to complete the Wizard.

If the 'Found new hardware' wizard starts to run at this point - cancel it.

Goto the Printers & faxes control panel applet.

Right-click on the Printer icon and select Properties, select Ports.

Select the USB_001 (Virtual printer port for USB) and click the Apply button.

At this point if the system wants to plug and play the rest of the installation for card slots, scanner, Dot4 support and so on, let it do so. You should now be able to send a test print to the printer.

If you don't see a virtual USB printing support entry under the list of ports you will not be able to print to any USB printer. USB printing support is not registered by default, normally (hopefully!) USB printing support will be installed once a USB printer is plugged in, but USB ports, especially those on laptops can be a bit fickle and may need a bit of additional help.

The joys of Plug 'n' Pray!

TechGuy71
05-19-2009, 11:12 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
http://www.dopdf.com/

Use one of those to rule out either driver/port/cable/printer or windows.

PDF Creator works fine.

TimeCode
05-19-2009, 11:13 PM
It sound like you're missing USB printing support (a virtual print driver).

That's an interesting idea. I can't wait for his response. :)

abe
05-19-2009, 11:39 PM
check this out, it may help you its a page from dell it seems like your problem ,, it also gives you the answer to why pdf creator will print since its a usb conflict.

http://support.ap.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=ap&dl=true&docid=5675F700F53C49A9E040AE0AB7E1646A&journalid=60358AE399BA44DEE040AE0AB6E12F38&l=en&s=gen

Article Summary: This article describes how to resolve printing issues when the Dell Studio 1536 is unable to print documents.

» Discussion

Studio 1536 may not be able to print out documents or have error messages while printing, although the printer has been installed and recognized to be fine.

This issue is observed with both Dell™ and non-Dell USB connected printers.

The issue is seen with Dell 946, 968, V105, V305 and V505 All-in-One (AIO) inkjet printers. Other models which are not listed in this article may also report the same issue. When the issue occurs, an error message Communication Error will pop up for printing jobs. It works fine while a scanning job.

» Uninstall AMD USB Audio Driver Filter

To Uninstall AMD USB Audio Driver Filter

1.Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.

2.In the Control Panel window, click Programs and then open Programs and Features.

3.Select AMD USB Audio Driver Filter, and then click Uninstall.

4.Restart the system when the uninstallation is finished.
Uninstalling the AMD USB audio driver does not impact systems with Microsoft® Windows Vista® Service Pack 1 installed.

gravator
05-20-2009, 03:03 AM
Have you tried different usb ports?

Reset
05-20-2009, 04:52 AM
I am starting to wonder if it is a permissions issue. It's the only account, and an administrator account, however it will not let me into the UAC menu or the Parental Controls menu.. again no errors or anything, they just wont open. I click on them and nothing. Dunno if it's related... but it's a problem. lol

...maybe vista is just fubar'd

Try to print with this account

In Windows Vista, there’s a secret Administrator account, and it’s different from the normal administrator account you most likely have set up on your PC. This Administrator account is not part of the Administrator group. It’s a kind of superadministrator, akin to the root account in Unix, and by default it’s turned off and hidden.

Turning on the Administrator account is straightforward. First, open an elevated command prompt by typing cmd into the Search box on the Start menu, right-clicking the command prompt icon that appears at the top of the Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator.

Then enter this command and press Enter:

Net user administrator /active:yes

From now on, the Administrator account will appear as an option on the Welcome screen, along with any user accounts you may have set up. Use it like any other account. Be aware that it won’t have a password yet, so it’s a good idea to set a password for it.

If you want to disable the account and hide it, enter this command at an elevated command prompt and press Enter:

Net user administrator /active:no

Jory
05-20-2009, 06:36 AM
It sounds like the only thing you haven't ruled out is maybe the USB cable and/or ports. You could try swapping cables, and then install a PCI USB device.

abe
05-20-2009, 06:48 AM
or maybe he hasn't tried this.

conflict.

http://support.ap.dell.com/support/t...F38&l=en&s=gen

TechGuy71
05-20-2009, 02:18 PM
check this out, it may help you its a page from dell it seems like your problem ,, it also gives you the answer to why pdf creator will print since its a usb conflict.

http://support.ap.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=ap&dl=true&docid=5675F700F53C49A9E040AE0AB7E1646A&journalid=60358AE399BA44DEE040AE0AB6E12F38&l=en&s=gen

This fixed the problem!!! It is now printing. Thanks a bunch Abe, and everyone who contributed. It is much appreciated!

TimeCode
05-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Very strange. Glad to hear it worked and what fixed it but again I say "Strange."

iptech
05-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Very strange. Glad to hear it worked and what fixed it but again I say "Strange."
That's Plug 'n' Pray for you!

abe
05-20-2009, 06:17 PM
why "strange", it seems like an amd audio usb controller conflicts with the usb print controller, i can understand it, its a bit like in the old days when your scanner, printer, and soundcard would all fight for the same IRQ.

(ahhhh, the good old days, when i was writing the boot files of win 95, and i would boot the computer and oooops no video, or i would get a pink screen with flashing lines, and then i would hear my dads booming voice "you'd better get that fixed before you go to bed" i must say i miss those days, staying up till 5am and then at long last it booted up OK, school wasn't to exciting the next day,)

TimeCode
05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
why "strange", it seems like an amd audio usb controller conflicts with the usb print controller, i can understand it, its a bit like in the old days when your scanner, printer, and soundcard would all fight for the same IRQ.

(ahhhh, the good old days, when i was writing the boot files of win 95, and i would boot the computer and oooops no video, or i would get a pink screen with flashing lines, and then i would hear my dads booming voice "you'd better get that fixed before you go to bed" i must say i miss those days, staying up till 5am and then at long last it booted up OK, school wasn't to exciting the next day,)

I thought we had (at least for the most part) gotten past stupid conflicts like that. It reminds me more of 3.1 than 95. I still remember my first CD-ROM (I think it used the parallel port to connect, maybe an early SCSI? Too long ago.) drive and how stoked I was to get it. Then the 3 days it took to get the blasted thing to function. Then the every 6 weeks that it would kill itself.

I remember those days but not quite so fondly. Working as a tech at a printshop where the desktop publishing PC was ALWAYS having problems wasn't so much fun. Win 3.1... Again, the memories aren't so warm and fuzzy.