PDA

View Full Version : strong wireless signal but out of range error

ell
05-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi, I'm working on a laptop that was pretty screwed up, I had to do a repair reinstall, then remove both macafee & norton. However the only way I could connect wirelessly is with my usb adapter. The internal wireless adapter appears to be working fine, windows shows my network with strong signal, then when I try to connect I get an error message that the network is out of range. I tried winsock fix, no go. I scanned with malwarebytes and avg, also hijack this had a ton of bad keys which i fixed. Help appreciated!

abe
05-19-2009, 01:11 PM
macafee AND norton WOW, i dont think its a problem with the intrenet settings since you can connect using your adapter, it seems as if you need to reinstall the drivers for network adapters, uninstall reboot and reinstall them, also check if you can connect with a wired connection if you can you know its only the wireless drivers.

ABE

ell
05-19-2009, 01:14 PM
oh yeah, I try that, now my stupid internet connection is giving my grief, my cable modem is not communicating with my wireless router!!! It says I'm connected to my network but no internet grrrrrrrrrr

abe
05-19-2009, 01:15 PM
also Try changing the channel on the router and add/removing your preferred network assuming you are using the windows wireless utility.
please post os, wireless card model and router model

ell
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
also Try changing the channel on the router and add/removing your preferred network assuming you are using the windows wireless utility.
please post os, wireless card model and router model

he has a ton of connected networks listed, so I'm assuming it was working before, should I remove them? I can't add mine because I can't connect

Jory
05-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Let me guess, Vista on an HP laptop?

ell
05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Let me guess, Vista on an HP laptop?

surprisingly no, its an presario x1000 wbut it was 34% fragmented, with over a GB of crap I cleaned out with ccleaner! I disabled a ton of auto startups too with msconfig, suppose it could be one of those? I wouldn't think so if my usb works. I'm thinking theres still something on it, when I shut down it hangs on a service called "sample" and the fan is always roaring, (maybe hairball!) even after I added 1 gb of ram, but it appears to be running fine otherwise.

ell
05-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I did some googling on the "sample" hangs issue, it appears to be connected to the Intel PROset driver (I think that may be one of the servcies I disabled in start-up) I hope thats it! I won't be able to check til tonight. could that be it?

Jory
05-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Check it with a live cd and make sure it's actually working.

Also, that's an older laptop so it would probably be prudent turn off WPA2 (assuming that's what you're using), and try connecting with WEP or no encryption at all. I've seen laptops that would show a high signal strength, but would immediately drop in signal strength if it failed to negotiate a connection because of encryption. It's not likely that's the problem, but for a 30 second time investment it's worth ruling out.

ell
05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Check it with a live cd and make sure it's actually working.

Also, that's an older laptop so it would probably be prudent turn off WPA2 (assuming that's what you're using), and try connecting with WEP or no encryption at all. I've seen laptops that would show a high signal strength, but would immediately drop in signal strength if it failed to negotiate a connection because of encryption. It's not likely that's the problem, but for a 30 second time investment it's worth ruling out.

thats a good idea, most of the posts on the proset say to uninstall it and use windows wireless which would probaby be better, I will try your suggestion with my ubcd, thanks

abe
05-19-2009, 04:07 PM
it seems as if you need to reinstall the drivers for network adapters, uninstall reboot and reinstall them,
ABE-----------