PDA

View Full Version : Side income in your biz

Jayson
05-18-2009, 04:08 PM
I was just wondering how many techs here relied only on computer repair to make a living. I am wondering how many offer business contracts, sell or build systems, make money from their website, etc. etc.

Just interested. Thanks.

Jayson
Caliber Computer (http://www.calibercomputerllc.com)

Jayson
05-18-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm lucky that repairs are staying steady. They are WAY lower than I would like but at least a few are coming in. I am used to servicing close to 10-15systems a week. I am lucky to get 5 right now.

ProTech Support
05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
For me this is a touchy subject. Like ACG said, I started this business with the goal of becoming a one stop shop. Offering repairs, contracts, websites, hardware, software, etc...If you are running the shop alone you find out quick that even though it sounds good, it's really hard to do.

When I was running the shop like this I was picking up all sorts of clients...the problem is I got bogged down quick. Websites take a lot of focus, but throw in some repairs, contracts, and custom builds - your done.

In the past 2 months I have cut-off the website's, and focused on repairs/contracts/software sales. Like this I find the income streaming a bit easier, less stress, and me paying more attention to detail.

Point is only take what you can handle. Diversifying and offering lots of services is a great idea, but if it is not handled right it can become a train wreck. Instead focus on "niche" of some sort and you can make it work.