PDA

View Full Version : Confused partition

Galdorf
05-11-2009, 05:39 PM
I have a customers machine formatted hd 160gb fat32 partition
under xp it says it has a 4gig partiton with 4 gigs used
Did chkdsk says its a 4 gig partition.

Ran a whole bunch of partition software says its 1 160gb fat32 partition checked partition for errors none found.

Anyone see anything like this really odd?

It's all 1 160gb fat32 partition my guess some sort of patition corruption? not enough space on HD to install anything though lol.

Whats odd i cannot resize the partition it goes to 4gb if i try.

Laptop Repair
06-19-2009, 05:34 AM
I will suggest if you are using XP then it would be better if you use NTFS file system then fat32 so first delete all partitions using Fdisk command and then convert them to NTFS this will solve your problem. the only problem with NTFS is that it doesn't support Windows 98.:)

abe
06-19-2009, 05:55 AM
... fat32 has a 4GB Max file size limit sir..... As suggested please convert to NTFS.

in windows command shell

convert drive

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS

you must be tired ACG(its pretty late here in NY), The 4GB file size limit would not force the partition to stay at 4GB

lawson_jl
06-19-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm willing to bet there are errors on that drive. Start with the good old check disc to check the drive.

Doctor Micro
06-24-2009, 04:13 PM
data recovery and drive maintenance software. Runs from a floppy. Check it out at Gibson Research (http://www.grc.com/default.htm)

MSgherzi
06-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Doctor Micro suggested a great utility.

If you've got a UBCD4Win disk, then you might also try many of the utilities on there for testing your drive.

seedubya
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Spinrite's OK but IMO should only be used in desperation. It's extremely hard on a disk and can easily cause a borderline disk to fail completely. On top of that it's unbelieveably slow. The best data recovery software, hands down, is GetDataBack.