PDA

View Full Version : Blue screen crash when uploading to Facebook?

ell
05-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi everybody. This is weird, I have a customer who just called after about 2 weeks. I upgraded his ram and removed some nasty viruses, upgraded to sp3 and now he gets a blue screen crash (hes say its says something about memory) but only when hes uploading pics to facebook!? is this a virus i may have missed, bad memory or a facebook uploader issue????

angry_geek
05-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Facebook uploader is a java system. Try reinstalling java.

ell
05-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Facebook uploader is a java system. Try reinstalling java.

I don't think its just a IE crash, I think the whole system reboots, that wouldn't still be java would it?

angry_geek
05-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't think its just a IE crash, I think the whole system reboots, that wouldn't still be java would it?

It's quite possible. Java uses a lot of ram and cpu cache to run. If it's been corrupted, it can cause all kinds of problems. Also, if the client is using ie, they could have some crazy active x add on causing issues. Have you tried resetting IE?

ell
05-01-2009, 06:04 PM
It's quite possible. Java uses a lot of ram and cpu cache to run. If it's been corrupted, it can cause all kinds of problems. Also, if the client is using ie, they could have some crazy active x add on causing issues. Have you tried resetting IE?

I would do that if I had it, I hope its just java then, I would think if it was the ram I put in it would be happening at other times too. Hes planning on dropping it off Mon. Maybe I can talk him through the IE reset, I already left him a message to try and uninstall and reinstall Java, don't know if he can though. Thanks for your info.

angry_geek
05-01-2009, 06:16 PM
No problem. Let us know if that fixes the issue.

ell
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
You were right, my customer called back today to drop off the pc, he hadn't listened to my voice message to reinstall java apparently, he was having the same memory blue screen crash now with itunes too. I made an apt for him to drop it off, he just called and canceled, he finally listened to my message and uninstalled java and downloaded the newest version, hes a happy camper now! thanks angry geek!!!:D

angry_geek
05-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Cool! I'm glad it worked, but I'm sorry you missed out on the service $$.:)

ell
05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Cool! I'm glad it worked, but I'm sorry you missed out on the service $$.:)
I'm really struggling with new competition in town, ($50 flat rate for ALL repairs!) my calls have died. I told him I would look at it for free and I probably would have fixed the java for nothing in hopes of him giving me good word-of-mouth. I don't know how they can pay wages and rent on a building. We have 2 geek squads and others in town. thanks, but yes I could use a job!

ejsaunders
05-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Its FB, its been happening to a LOT of users since they updated the site, seems to be slightly browser dependant, some of my friends have asked about it and they use IE7, some have IE6 and Sun Java, not many who've got IE7 and Suns latest, but that might be coincidental.

iladelf
05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm really struggling with new competition in town, ($50 flat rate for ALL repairs!) my calls have died. I told him I would look at it for free and I probably would have fixed the java for nothing in hopes of him giving me good word-of-mouth. I don't know how they can pay wages and rent on a building. We have 2 geek squads and others in town. thanks, but yes I could use a job!

Ell, hang in there, if ya can. Folks like that will do well early on, but trust me, eventually they end up disappearing because they can't afford those wages and rent that you mention.

ell
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
thanks for the words of support, that does help. That is sooo what I'm hoping. Now they have posted 8 glowing reviews on google (obviously their own cuz the biz has only been open 2 weeks!) so now they have moved to just under my link in the google top ten, I'm toast. I am a home based business so I don't list my address on my listing or my web site, I'm afraid if I do, I'll loose even more customers because I don't have a "store front" :(